LD's drove my friend insane

To say LDs made your friend insane is like saying video games makes people violent.

A lot of people have already said things to the effect of what I’m about to say, so I’ll keep it fairly brief; view this as my drop in the collective bucket of this viewpoint.

It’s important to remember in all this that, although your friend’s schizophrenia was based on LDing, the disorder results from real, physical chemical imbalances in the brain (commonly thought to be of dopamine); as such, if your friend was going to become a schizophreniac, anything could’ve theoretically become the basis for his schizophrenic fantasies. If he had been really interested in something completely different, like, say, the oppression of Tibet by China, and had never heard of LDing, he might’ve instead become convinced that every country in the world was secretely conspiring to take down Tibet and that every government official the world over was in on the plot.

As such, I think it’s fair to say that his schizophrenia was based on LDing, but not that it triggered it; rather, the chemical imbalances present in his brain did. That’s the entire reason schizophrenia is treatable with medication; in many cases, when a schizophrenic is put on antipsychotic medication that regulates the brain’s dopamine neurotransmitter system (and seretonin, in the case of atypicals), their symptoms are frequently diminished, and in some cases disappear entirely. For this reason, saying that your friend’s scizophrenia was caused by LDing is, though understandable, somewhat unreasonable. As previously stated, anything might’ve become the basis for the disorder; but the cause of it is inevitably neurochemistry.

Omfg, that’s the most advanced talk about chemistry and scientific views on the body. :eek:

He did not go Insane becouse of lucid dreaming but lucid dreaming was his insanety…
That turnd out weard but what I am trying too say is that he whould hav gon insane anyway so if he had bin wery interested in someting else like a vidio game for example he whould maby tink he was in that game or someting like that.

One thing about all this mention of chemical imbalances in the brain… I was listening to an interview by the head of the American Psychological Association responding to Tom Cruise’s Today Show interview. And the APA guy basically said, yes, chemical imbalances are theoretical. We don’t actually know if they’re there, but the treatment works.

So basically, they’re giving you drugs to make you not act a certain way. What’s really going on in the “psychotic” mind, nobody really knows. It may have nothing at all to do with a chemical imbalance. …Something to think about.

WOW!

sorry that he got that desise, that’s a really creepy thought. I always believed that LD’s and dreams were naturual and there is nothing that can keep you from getting them, depending on what you do in your life. It may have been a coincadence that he had that desise and since he was LDing the desise made him confused. I always think that Dreams help you be aware of your life and the things around you. Sorry to hear that happend.

Actually, your friend is unlikely to be schizophrenic. He is more likely to be narcoleptic, according to National Geographic Channel’s broadcast of “The mysteries of Sleep” this week (26th September 2006). They told that behaviour like his was almost always misenterpreted as psychological disorder, or in this case, schizophrenia, when in fact it’s narcolepsia that’s causing his sudden dream-like behaviour.

The important thing here is, LD’s didn’t “drive” the friend schizo. He incorporated LD’s in his/her schozophrenia. If it wasn’t that, well, there are plenty of things to incorporate.

I agree with huggkruka.

He should have tried flying. For a RC.

:unk: Freaky…

My grandfather had scitzophrenia, (I never met the man while he was alive because he was a nut-job,) and my six-year-old sister might have it too, (she scares the crap out of everyone,) she’s tried to kill my two-year-old sister many times, (pushing her down steps, grinding her fingers in a electric pencil sharpener, cut her with knives, the list goes on and on,) used to never go to sleep or the bathroom because of invisable spiders, will look at the wall, her eyes will pop out and she’ll start screaming bloody murder, she does really weird things, (one time she kept pooping in a bucket in the basement because she didn’t want to use the the toilet,) she never remembers anything, even if she did it 5 minutes ago, she eats and eats and eats yet never gains any extra weight, she’ll start screaming for no reason, she’s just weird. :crazy:

I don’t have an explanation for most of that but a lot of kids can eat a lot and not put on much weight.

I know that, I just mentioned it because she might have celiac spru that 2 of my other sisters have, (it means you can’t process wheat products,) so that probably explains that, I don’t get the rest of it though, she acts friggin’ posessed…thanks for trying though, :partying_face:

So. Haven’t your parents taken her to a psychologist? Seems like the thing to do.

Funny… I mean, I’d look for more obvious dream signs if I were him. I mean, could he fly or use powers? Nope…

Nevertheless, pretty matrix-ish stuff o_o “The world is not real”, etc.

They actually just set an appointment up for her, it’s been put off for so long because she lies and totally makes up stuff, (she’ll trip and insist somebody pushed her and has claimed me and my other siblings hit her or slapped her when our parents are there the whole time to see that we only tapped her shoulder or something to get her attention,) so we’re kind of afraid of what she might say, (hopefully the pyschologist will see she’s a nut job and makes stuff up,) She’ll be seeing a pyschologist Thursday so hopefully it all works out… :scared:

Yeah, hope it works out.

Well good luck, and I hope it’s nothing too bad.

our perceptions are reality.
dreams are our perceptions in their raw form.

in essence everything is a dream. nothing has any meaning besides that which we prescribe, and in so prescribing meaning we entirely shape the totality of every single thing we will ever experience.

throw a pie at someone. what is the subjective interpretation? for a clown it is good.

for a businessman he might be enraged… to a hungry person he might be really happy.

to the businessman, in order to be hit by a pie he might have been harboring a lot of extreme negativity and this reinforces his views that everyone hates him.

to the clown it might be his job.

to the hungry person he might have just been in the present and happened to get lucky.

get it?

strip away all our judgements and look at the core raw nature of reality and you find that it is of the same substance of dreams, because it only exists because we and all other humans perceive it, and what we THINK is reality is actually just the consensus of the symbolically charged world.

language is an excellent example
if you saw a huge sign and all you saw on it was the word
JUST

what do you think the message is?
What if it actually says something else, but you see what you think it is?

I saw a person wearing a shirt that said JUST on it and I saw it say “Just say no” until I looked closer and realized it said “Just do it”

that is because society charges meaning to the word JUST through advertising. but in actuality all things are perceived as symbols with no inherent meaning or value, or stability.

life is basically a picasso painting that people try to confine with terms and consentual agreements, but really it’s all just your perceptions.

and all you are is your perceptions. it is easy to see how this is a dream, but how if not taken within the context of spiritual training such as Tibetan Dream Yoga, one could instead become “schizophrenic” instead of enlightened.

It is very unfortunate though. It is perhaps more unfortunate that people would call him psychotic, when maybe there is a realized teacher who could really help him understand what he is seeing and experiencing, other than telling him it is wrong.

If I think a pie is ugly and someone thinks it is erotic, is the latter psychotic and the formal normal? No, but that is how reality works. Anyone who differs in their symbolic interpretation (or lack of symbolic insight) is brandished as insane.

Well, perception is perception whatever, whenever, wherever…

maybe the internet is a dream.

Now that’s… a very very interesting and scary thing… O.O’

I’m glad though that it was just an episode and it isn’t an ongoing thing for him.