Lucidity vs. control?

Member of the general public here, posting under a BugMeNot account…

I’m not sure if this situation is unusual or not, but for the life of me I cannot gain control over my lucid dreams. I have one (I kid you not) EVERY single time I take a nap in the middle of the day. The way people talk about it, it would seem like control is a given, but I have as much control over my surroundings in my dreams as I do sitting in my chair right now. So what am I missing here?

It’s odd; every time I nap, as soon as I fall asleep into a dream, I know I’m there, and I know I’m dreaming. But I try to do things “out of the ordinary” and they fail. Just today I tried to fly to escape some chasers, so I jumped, hovered a few feet, and fell back down, so I had to keep running. It’s not fair…

Control is never perfect, and generally it’s far from perfect by the way, but there is certainly a big problem here. :eh: How high do you evaluate your level of lucidity? Do you clearly realize that you’re in a dream and you can do what you want, or do you just follow the dream scenario?

First … a BIG welcome mrdude !!!
Two things … first its quite awesome that you can do this (LD in naps)
Second you need just a bit of exersise … contol will come (try WBTB , i think this will help because you can gain lucidity very easily ,and with WBTB youll have soon succes and once you CONTROL your LDs you have succeded )

-sakoda forums harlequin :mrgreen_hat:

EDIT : why is mrdudes acc deleted ???

I suppose you situation is a bit annoying. But think about it now! You said you hovered a few feet. You certainly can’t do that when awake. So you do have some control. Usually the answer given in this forum is that you have to EXPECT whatever you want to happen, to happen. It is true that if you think it won’t work, chances are that it wont. So, you just gotta do what you gotta do to make yourself expect success. That is where the problem lies, no one can give you the answer. Suggestion may include, taking a pill that is supposed to give you the power. Or using a tool of some sort, like a jet pack, or a broom. Ofcourse that requires that you can make those things appear. So if you have a problem with conjuring too, it complicates the matter.
I suggest you give yourself a break. Don’t take it seriously, it IS just for fun, right? If you keep trying it, it’s gonna work one day. After that the barrier is broken.
In the meantime you can enjoy doing things that are just plain forbidden. Yesterday I sort of felt like taking a bat and smashing up some stuff, just for fun. That is ofcourse perfectly possible in a dream.
And those chasers that were after you, you don’t have to escape them at all. Just enjoy the dreamscape. I find it interesting just to look at the way words change and morph right in from of my eyes.

Pretend you’re in a fantasy movie in which you can do the things you want to do - This makes it easier for you to expect something to happen.

Mr Dude i think i experiance something similar to you, incidently this is my first post too and only read about lucid dreams for the first time this afternoon.
Anyway i have previously had dreams where i semi conciously have some control over my actions, in fact this happens a few times a month i’d say.
For example dreaming i’m running from something/one and flying or jumping REALLY high on demand to escape, or punching. Though i usually have little more control over my actions than a few movements.
I found this forum through a link to Pedro’s VILD method from wikipedia so i’ll be trying it for the first time tonight!

It isn’t necessary bad that you can’t control your lucid dreams.

In fact, this gives them a more adventure style!

Do you think of joining in a quest to e.g. get a treasure that is guarded by a huge dragon? If you control this situation you might find it boring or very predictable.

I suppose the time will come that you will be able to do some extraordinary things, like flying. But until then, try to explore your dreamworld from the ground, not from the clouds :content:

Good luck to your practise :smile:

I find that in my normal dreams, they’re usually quite linear as if im taken along a certain path sometimes i manage to control movements as i explained before but this usually results in me waking myself from the dream.