Morals in dreams

merged from “Dream Karma and morality”

Do you believe that your actions in dreams really have no consequences whatsoever? What do you think would happen, hypothetically, if every time you had an LD you went on a murdering rampage and killed thousands of DCs? Obviously you would become a bit perverted in real life, and maybe be more inclined towards violence, but that’s a purely psychological effect. I’m talking metaphysical impacts here.
I seem to have sex with every girl i meet (or create) in a lucid dream. Is this immoral in any respect? Would it be immoral if i had a girlfriend?

If dream characters are more than just figments of your imagination, then i’d suggest that actions within your dreams do indeed have consequences.

I don’t think it’s immortal at all because it is inside your mind and it harms nobody. I think it’s built for you to express your feeling and have a better understanding of yourself. Not to mention that karma isn’t solely for punishing you, but to help you to move on. :smile:

I dont know. That is a hard question to answer, but if I had to, I would say no. In several of my ND’s, I find myself killing lots and lots of DC’s, then waking up feeling guilty about it. But I cant help what happens in ND’s, so why should I be punish, or have to suffer any type of consequences?

there are no ill consequences of your dreams, unless you want them. in nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments. only consequences. your actions are subject to karma, not your thoughts. you kill someone irl, you get bad karma(and probably a bullet to the skull…). you kill someone in ur dreams, and they just dissapear, so as to come back later.

so to answer your question: keep on screwing! :tongue:

During the few long lucid dreams I’ve had in the past, I liked to keep things nice and rightous. No killing or anything. In my opinion, that could be construed as a reflection of how you would handle a situation you were in control of, or had any amount of power over someone else in, and it’s just not a good way to handle things, just going on a killing rampage, is it? :wink:
It would be better if people used they’re lucid dreams for learning about themselves or having fun, rather than the ‘immoral’ stuff like killing, even if they are only dream characters.
By the way, isn’t there already a thread about this somewhere around here? :smile:

Ru§h,
I merged the “Dream Karma and morality” topic within the “Morals in dream” topic, which is about the same subject.

It’s not so obvious. I know someone who killed thousands of DC’s: Flo. She posted in Killing dream characters. She not as perverted as you’re supposing. But it reveals a facet of her character, which is violent and rebel. In the other hand, she is very involved in spirituality.

I’ve quite no sexual relations in LD’s. So, I suppose it depends on our drives. Perhaps, if you had a girl friend, your drives wouldn’t be the same.

What do you mean by “more than figments of our imagination”? What could they be? :confused:

"I seem to have sex with every girl i meet (or create) in a lucid dream. Is this immoral in any respect? Would it be immoral if i had a girlfriend? "

Not to advice you but in my opinion- sex isnt immoral,cheating is.Do you think it would be cheating on her?I personally dont think so.If she said it would be id split it cuz i dont find dream censoring reasonable at all.
But hey,these are your morals and you`re the one who looks in the mirror then.
Take care

Just thought I’d post this little snippet: It was my first dream (well, that I can recall in a while) where after awakening I [i]wanted[/i] to pound the shnoz out of a DC. I was at work when I saw these three guys shoplifting. They squeezed through some exit that doesn’t exist IRL and another manager chased after them. Being a tall, lean, mean, running machine, I immediately darted after them too. The three split up, X went after one and I after another while the other left the mall. I caught up to the one I was chasing, but he was just lying in the exit to Shopper’s Drug Mart. I ran up to him and stopped. “What are you doing?!” I asked. He explained that he turned the corner too fast and stepped awkwardly with his right leg which consequently busted his hip. I stood there guarding him and having compassion for him when suddenly he stood up. There was a pause. That’s not right. I thought. He then took off and I started chasing him, but soon woke up.

If I had gone lucid I would have kicked the self-conjured crap out of 'im!!

Tonight I had a LD where some DC was bothering me alot so I asked him what would happen if I hurt him and he replied to me well you would only be hurting yourself. And I was taken back by this frank response and instead of brutally murdering him which was the plan I let him go.

I realised i was dreaming once, quite lucidly, because a friend of mine, was naked, on top of me. She kissed me, and i decided to conciously terminate the dream.

I think taking someones image in your own conciousness and sexually using it, is no better than hiding in the bushes and whacking off over her. Just because you -can- do things, doesn’t mean you -have- to. Dreams are just as valid a reality as as ‘this one’. Morality doesn’t prevent you flying, having fun, chucking wild parties, but morality does prevent you from having intercourse with a person who doesn’t consent. And since in lucid dreams, you -choose- the consent (based on your memories), it’s not really thier choice. Seemed like rape to me, i felt bad about it.

so you say that fantasying about touching or caressing someone is immoral?
This is kind of strict and makes me want to ask another question-are people who masturbate about other without their knowledge(cant imagine asking,actually i can but not many would) also considered immoral?

But they dont exist and they dont have a consciousness either, so i dont understand what is so wrong about it? My dreamcaracthers also seems willing anyways :tongue:

I think sexual dreams are completly natural and also a good way for us who dont have a real partner to blow of some steam.

The Bible says that killing’s a sin. That’s the only thing that stops me. I still want to do it but then I keep thinking about how I’d go to Hell if I did.
Yes, it is the consequence that stops me from doing immoral things and I realize how wrong it is. (or maybe I don’t.) One of the reasons I love LDs so much. In my LDs I’d turn into a beast, eat people, have sex, burn people, become invincible while ripping through an army.

What was worse was when I finally realize the voices (I’m schizophrenic) were telling me lies. I was delusional for around 9 years. I began questioning everything. Is God really real? How do I know He’s not fake like the voices? Recently I even hurt someone. Not much. I was going to knock him out but I’ve built up a lot of self control over the years.
I’m perfectly aware of how hurting and killing people is wrong but I just don’t feel it. LDs keep me sane… I think…

So lucid dreams are sort of like a ‘vent’ for you?

Yes.

That’s really interesting :smile:
I used to think of violence in dreams as something that I wouldn’t really want to consider, because I feel that since it’s all in my own mind, I could actually be harming myself. I’d never considered using it as a medicinal tool for release. Very interesting :yes:

Killing is not something that I would do in LD . And even if i would , I would think its immoral. Like many say , youre surely hurting yourself.

But sex is not immoral. This is a good way to experience before doing it IRL. Like with many other Nd or LD.

I don’t kill in dreams as much as I used to. The last time I killed an innocent in an LD it made my dream-stomach churn, so I’ve been avoiding it.

Since then, kills have been self-defense. If a DC gets in my way, I’ve been trying to intimidate them and make them leave that way. If they won’t budge whatsoever… I’ll just use a gun and make it swift and clean. (I used to make it much more painful. If I didn’t use claws or teeth, then… Well, ever seen the movie Alien?)

Or maybe I’ll get a giant eraser and erase them, or spill a magic potion on them that makes them disappear and reappear somewhere nice… Like Hawaii.

As for the other, more intimate side of morality discussions… I’m less restrained.

Okay, here’s my stand:

Is it moral?
Yes, killing and having relations everywhere you go isn’t exactly peachy-keen, but it isn’t someone IRL you’re hurting. WHY you would want to go around doing that is beyond me. (well, the killing part at least :wink: ) If you have a mind that thinks that way, then I don’t suppose it’s too horrible… depends on what you believe.

Do/would you do it?
I, personally, would never do that to my innocent DCs. They help me so much, and my brain would feel guilty that they’d hate me in the next dream. :tongue: I’m not a very violent person unless threatened, and I would only want a relationship IRL. (Yes, I do have a lot of morals. ^^)

Let’s put it this way: Though I try to be open about the matter, I probably wouldn’t respect you as much if you purposely did it. :neutral: (the exception, of course, being if it was in self-defense or if you weren’t lucid enough to resist)

It’s not like they’re real people. And it certainly doesn’t feel like I’m harming myself in anyway so why not?