Most helpful reality check?

Yes, different things work for different people. Keep in mind that though EWLD is a great book it is based on his experiences and studies. However just because the book says something won’t work don’t take that as fact. Experiment with things for your self and see what works fore you. Treat the book and what people say on this site as a guide and not a bible. We are all different.

Strange, but I’ve never become lucid by doing an RC :eek:

Another RC that has helped me at least increase lucidity a couple of times is trying to look at the sun! It doesn’t hurt in the eyes when I’m dreaming.

Me either. In my DILD/MILD ld’s I just seem to know that I am dreaming. Other people seem to have the same experience.

Personally, I first try remember how I got here, what I ate for eg. lunch, etc. Sometimes I look at my hands - usually something strange happens. If that passes, then I try find something physical to test. Throw something in the air and see if gravity is working, etc.

Another one I use lately is to look out of windows and make sure the scene is normal. Works best when its a window you know.

Everyone has different checks that work for them. Some work for more people, some less. Some more consistent, some less.
There’s no magical catch all for everyone unfortunately

For instance, reading doesnt work for me. I can read very well in dreams.
And occasionally I find flying difficult for no apparent reason

I like the breathing through closed nose trick though… will try use that one too. Sounds feasible.

In my experience things in dreams tend to work pretty much the way you expect them to. So when you do the RC in real life really try and expect them to fail. (I.e if you use the plug you nose RC fully expect that you will be able to breath when you do it) I think this may help a lot of people who’s RC’s consistently pass in a dream.

(Generally to have an RC giving the wrong answer is called a “fail”, not a “pass”.)