My main problem is getting to sleep

Im new to lucid dreaming and dont realy keep a journal, i remember pretty much every dream i have but my main problem is getting to sleep, it usualy take me about 2 hours and i stp thinking about luciding dreaming by then, ive only been trying for about a week but if anyone could help me, then thank you, im new to the fourms to so if this is in the wrong place sorry ^_^;

Hi BuB! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I prefered to split your topic from the “Helpful hints” thread cause it’s a bit special.
About insomnia, you have a Insomnia - Can’t sleep topic in the “Stuff dreams are made of” forum. You’ll perhaps find there good tips. As for me, I had insomnia when I was adolescent and it disappeared when I learnt relaxation.

About lucid dreaming, if I were you, I wouldn’t use WILD techniques because it works better with people who get to sleep quickly. So I think it’s better for you to use DILD techniques (MILD, autosuggestion and RC’s).

A few years ago I had a problem with this where I would try to go to sleep but wouldn’t fall asleep after 10-15 minutes. I would get very frustrated and keep thinking to myself " When am I going to get to sleep".

What eventually solved the problem was not thinking about going to sleep but thinking about other things that were not related to sleep.

I don’t know if you’re doing this but maybe it will help you.

I’ve found that not thinking about getting to sleep or having lucid dreams usually allows me to get to sleep within about 20 minutes.
Also I try to encorporate some kind of moderate excersise into my daily routine, this tires me out and helps me get to sleep quicky.

Another thing I was reading about recently that I forgot to mention is that you should make your bedroom a one purpose room, a.k.a you should use it only for sleep. Evidently this helps your body know what it is supposed to do when it is in that enviroment.

Shame my bedroom is the living room; I sleep on the floor. :content: Kinda hard to do that when most of my time is spent in here. (yes, my comp is in the LR too) My insomnia is bad. It’s 3:36am right now and I’m hyped up! Haven’t had any sugar in a while, so you can’t blame that. Had it for years though, ever since I was little, so I’m used to having little sleep. Luckily I’m on holidays now, so I can rest all I want. ^^

Here is some stuff I found on Wikipedia about tips for heloing yourself get to sleep.

D-ecrease the light levels in the sleeping environment. Studies have indicated that the brain has a separate neural pathway to the optical nerve, separate from the visual path, to detect whether it’s day or night. This detection system could have a direct effect on successful sleep inducement. Moreover, other studies have shown sleep inducement is dramatically increased by reductions in light level, in the sleeping environment. Use appropriate curtains and shading to keep light out or at minimal levels.
-Setting a quiet time approximately 30 minutes before bedtime—no computer, television, video games, office work, housework, or other stressful, dutiful, or mentally stimulating activities—can slow down the metabolic rate.
-Reading or other light mental activity at bedtime.
-Warm milk contains tryptophan, can help relax the nervous system and induce drowsiness.
-Getting up to do some quiet activity or slowly walking around until feeling tired, if one does not fall asleep in bed after 20 to 30 minutes. Paradoxically, this may increase restlessness in some people.
-Make sure one’s sleeping position or posture is comfortable and provides enough support, especially for the lower back.
-Quiet slow paced simplistic music can also help sleep inductment. Audio music products are available on the market that are designed to help fulfill this function.
-Avoiding using the bed for activities other than sleep, to maintain an association between getting into bed and sleeping.
-Avoiding certain drugs (e.g., cocaine and Ritalin), which are stimulants and can adversely affect sleep. Many non-stimulant medications, including glucocorticoids, may also cause sleeping problems.
-Avoiding coffee, tea, soft drinks and beverages containing caffeine[1].
-Decrease in body temperature can also help. Studies have shown sleep inducement is increased when body temperature is lowered.
-Avoiding a large evening meal, especially if consumed within four hours of bedtime. Bulky meals may lead to abdominal discomfort, nausea, or heartburn which disrupt sleep.
-Avoiding vigorous physical activity and exercise for four hours before bedtime
-Avoiding excessive stress and worrying, especially in the hours just before bedtime.