Owners of Nova Dreamers-Do they really work? Please tell us

I just got the Nova Dreamer of Ebay for 300 bucks,
It said it will come in Monday,
I know most of you don’t care for it but i thought i would try because i cant remember more then 1 dream every other week.

Tell me if you think it will work or not and your thoughts.

~Keep On Dreaming~

cool :content: Many people have used it, I suppose, but I don’t remember ever reading any posts about it. So let us now how it works :happy:

EDIT: The Ebayer said it will be here Friday :happy: :smile: :razz:

This is probably here somewhere,but do things like that work? Can I by one from stores like Wal-mart, or are they only online?

Well, the theory behind them is relatively sound, though I have never tried one myself. I can’t say I’ve ever seen anything like them in a local store like Wal-Mart, but you can probably find some good deals around the net. I don’t think the LD4all store has it, but Amazon probably will.

They’re not on Amazon, I checked.

I think they do work - i have a Nova Dreamer i bought off of ebay, and it took a bit of getting used to but i did have some very interesting normal dreams and have had more lucid dreams since using it.
I think its a different experience than having a ‘natural’ lucid dream - but definitely useful in the way it helps you train yourself to have more frequent LDs - it seems like the more you have, the more you’re able to have (if that makes sense!). I had some funny FA with it as well in that i thought that the mask had woken me up when it flashed and i took the mask off and went back to sleep, only to wake up later and realise that i was still wearing the mask and had dreamt it all! Doh!

I don’t use my Nova Dreamer anymore because i have fairly regular LDs without it - more so than before i started using it (and i think wearing it scares my kids if they come in! lol)

So I received the REM dreamer device a couple days ago, after a few weeks of waiting for it to ship. And my experience so far hasn’t been stellar (keep in mind I hadn’t tried LD’ing for a month or so out of pure laziness/wanting to use the device) but it does seem to function rather well. And It has a lot of nice features that make it really customizable.

Does any1 have any suggestions to increase it’s effectiveness? I’m gonna try and use the mantra “I will notice the flashing lights” for the next few days and see how that goes.

Got no suggestions, but does it really make you lucid dream?

Nothing can make you lucid dream. All the REM dreamer does is give you a garuanteed dream sign. It’s still up to you to recognize what it is.

Crazydrummer: a MILD mantra is one of the best ways to get the idea in your to recognize the flashes. If you just let it happen on it’s own there is a good chance you’re mind will process the flashes into your dream (like lightening or a flickering light bulb). Other than that I don’t have many more suggestions. You mentioned that you were already planning on doing that, so let us know how it goes.

I agree with Rhewin. A friend of mine had this and his dreams always disguised it so he didn’t know what it was, like one was a red light and in his dream it was a borg coming at him with those red beams on their eyes. It didn’t make him lucid and he only realized what it was after waking up.

This topic has been created for basic Q&A on masks that aid with lucid dreaming. I’ve gone through and pulled some older posts to get things going as well as the most recent ones. If you have any questions on devices like REM Dreamer, Nova Dreamer and the like, post them here.

Have had many successful lucid dreams but wanted them more regularly…so I saved for awhile and bought the REM Dreamer. Thing is, I can’t get totally comfortable with the mask on and the flashing often wakes me up (even on lowest setting) rather than trigger dream-cues. Then, I get anxious about the flashing. :bored: The (somewhat arbitrarily designed, if you ask me) flashes after 10min non-REM sleep seem counter-productive. It’s only been a month or so but I’m thinking of going back to traditional techniques. (I.e. reading about dreaming before bed, noticing waking [and dreaming] incongruencies, trying asparagus, waking and returning to bed.) Just feel sort of like I’m cheating myself out of the price of the REM Dreamer. Anyone have similar experiences…or thoughts in general?

Thanks!

Hy FlyByNight, welcome! :welcome:

I don’t have any experience with REM dreamer but here’s the interesting review about inducing lucid dreams with technology…

Of course it’s different from person to person but it looks like you have the situation as Stephen Berlin!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey dB,

Thanks for link! I watched it. That guy made some good points. I’ll be interested in watching the rest of his YouTube posts. I subscribed to him too.

So, even if I ultimately don’t stick with the REM Dreamer, at least I have another way to get my mind in gear!

Thx,
-FlyByNight

(yes, I’m a HUGE Rush fan too!) :ok:

I think that the real power of masks may not be in the que (flashing lights) but in the actual logging of rem states so that you know when throughout the night you are dreaming and how long each period of REM lasts.

For what it’s worth I’ve begun testing with my own lucid dream device. I did not use a pic chip as others on here have indicated, and my approach is much different. I am using an atmel ATTIny861 and currently it is connected to a four digit seven segment led display. It is a glorified digital clock. For the actual rem detection I’m going to try using the following unit from Sparkfun which has an IR receiver and detector built into a single module:
Link to vendor removed :tardis:

If I’m correct I should be able to release a design that is much easier to build than previous attempts. There are small 8 pin atmel chips that use very low power and have the ability to read from the sensor I indicated above. If the lucidity institute is indeed creating a new novadreamer I would suspect that they are using this technology.

I will keep you updated on my progress. I just ordered a sleep mask from amazon that I’m going to install my sensor into. I already have the clock portion of my application functioning.

Just thing about 1, and only 1 thing before being any mask:
Check if they detect REM’s
Example: I was one Google, the first one I saw was Remee. Nice website, low cost mask, making lightnings like others. Why not to buy it?
It doesn’t detect REM’s and many critics say it’s a crapy (very crapy) dreaming mask.
I’m not even sure all this works…