Programming (Computer Geeks, Unite!!!!)

I saw that on the Simpsons the comic book guy was wearing a t-shirt of that

I’m still making DOS programs… :whistle:

Yes, in 2007.

But DOS rocks! :smile:

I also remember some DOS program that resembled Ghostwriter, a kid’s show…which was just awesome. :smile: I hope I can DL some old DOS games when I get the chance :happy:

I feel old knowing what the original floppy disk was, and that the floppy disk now was actually called something else XD

But DOS rocks! :smile: What programs are you making? ^^

Do you realy mean DOS programs, or Command line ones?

Just messing with the IRQs and that kind of crap, but one of these days I might make something more useful.

my computer is in shambles now to, at least the one that had the Python interpreter

so do any of u guys get this joke, I had it as my sig a while ago

there are 10 kinds of people out there those who can read binary and those who can’t

I know how to write some basic HTML and I can understand the more complex stuff but I wouldn’t be able to write it out myself.
I’ve also learnt a little bit of ActionScript which is based on, I think, C++. It’s similar but easier and AS is a specific language that I think is only used by Flash content. I can make gravity and apply actions to certain keys and events. I know how to associate events to a random number generator too but this is all very basic.

onClipEvent(wakeUp){
if(christmas=true){
gotoAndOpen(presents);
} else {
gotoAndEat(breakfast);
}
}

That code obviously wouldn’t work but I think it gives the jist of some VERY simpe AS. Anyone who’s used AS, C++ or Java (probably also others) will recognise the formatting.

I started programming when I was 13, and by now I know Pascal, assembler (for x86) and C++ quite well. One of my programs is somewhere on this forum, it’s the dream diary program, but it’s made in C++ Builder, so there wasn’t much of programming needed to make it. Other nice program that I wrote is a 4-dimensional labyrinth, and this one I wrote from the beginning to the end :smile:

Uh… I’m working on TI-BASIC.

You will open presents everyday. (I let you find the error by yourself :-p )

I guess… if(christmas==true) ? :wink:

:cry: :cry: :cry:
…well, it’s all so obvious now but I spent roughly an hour trying to figure that out last night. Needless to say, I was never very good at this whole coding thing.
I still don’t understand why there’s a difference between “=” and “==”. If someone could fill me in, I’d be very grateful.

The difference is that = assigns a value. Therfore, if you say “X = 9;”, than the value is X is Nine. IF you do “if(x==9)” Than it checks wether the value is equal to nine.

Therfore, if you do “if(x=9)”, it checks wether X was succesfuly assigned with a new value of nine.
If you do “x==9;”, you do nothing.

If you know booleans, “X==9” returns a bollean of wether x equals nine or not, while x=9 returns a boolean of wether or not x was assigned a new value.

Thankyou very much. If I ever decide to create a Flash application again, or fix the codes I wrote that never worked, that will be extremely useful to me.
I don’t really know booleans but I understand what you’re saying. In fact, I’ll just go look up booleans now so that I completely understand what you wrote.
Thanks again.

[EDIT] I see now. I’ve used booleans all the time I just never knew what they were called.

Glad I could help.

One more thing I forgot to mention, is that Conditionals and loops take only boolean values, meaning that it first does the action inside the “(” and the “)”, then it checks wether it was successful or not, and than passes that boolean info into the If.

By the way, Anyone here is programming OpenGL? I’d like to know what level of difficulty would you consider using OGL without using wrappers.

Not really. As far as I know, if you write:
if(x=0) {
something
}
then ‘something’ will never be executed. It’s because the x=0 does not return if it was successful, it returns the value that was assigned to x, in this case 0. In logical terms in C, 0 is false and anything different than 0 is true. That’s why x=9 is always true. Writing if(x=9) is the same as writing if(9), and so the same as if(true). However, writing if(x=0) is the same as writing if(0), and so the same as if(false).

I was using OpenGL for some programs. It’s quite easy, especially compared to Direct3D. There is little code for initialization, you can just copy that from somewhere, and rendering itself is very easy: you just define vertices for polygons and it’s almost done. Earlier, I tried Direct3D, but it needs lots of code to initialize, and rendering also takes lots of initializing objects, setting up etc.

I am not fully sure about that, because I dont know what will happen if you have a class that its assigment overloaded operator returns a boolean.

Oh, and about OGL, Are there things such as lightning or antialiasing? (IE, more advanced things than creating vertices or polys)

Of course if you overload the assignment operator, it would be different, but generally if x is an int, or char or etc., then it is as I wrote.

And about OGL, of course there are things more advanced than just creating polys, and they are also not hard to do. OGL is a complete graphics library, so you can do many, if not all, of the things that you can do with for example Direct3D. Many very good games are written using OGL.

So when are people going to link to the applications they’ve made…

gogo post em!