Question about sleep paralysis/WILD

do i have to be really still while doing wild as in no moving at all? or i can do small things like scratch my nose or swallow or clear my throat, etc? how do i know if the things im seeing arent thoughts or hypnagogic images?

Just lying still works best, since moving will keep your body awake. Try to relax and not think about these things, like swallowing, it will go automatically. I really wonder what you mean by “seeing your thoughts”. HI though are good and a sign you are getting closer to a LD so why would you not want them?

Stargirl,
I have only been practising (sp) lucid dreaming techniques for a short while (thanks to Xetrov!!) and can sympathise with your concerns over swallowing while attempting WILD. I have found that it doesn’t tend to interrupt my concentration, though I do avoid scratching an itch if it occurs. As far as hypnagogic imagery is concerned, I have found that I go through a stage where my thoughts are connected and logical (i’m thinking about work, I’m thinking about my partner etc) but the longer I focus on the counting technique, keeping my mind open and trying to maintain a third person perspective (‘the watcher’, uninvolved) images flash up in my mind. This became so intense at one point it was as if someone had opened a door that I had been staring at, the blackness took on a whole new dimension and perspective. It’s hard to explain, but you’ll surely know when you’ve arrived at this point.
Keep trying,
Never give up!

third person perspective? i guess that will be really helpful thanks :smile:
i’ll post again if it works

Hmmm, I just went back to WILDing after a little break.

Everytime I try to WILD , my thoughts wander and all these images flash in front of me. But there’s a problem, I’m not really conscious when I see these images. The problem is that when I try to stay really alert and conscious I stay awake and no images show up.

So how do I maintain consciousness when I see these images, without losing them?

You could try to use the images as a consciousness trigger… try to remember something before you start WILD-in, like “next time i see these images, i’ll become aware of what i’m doing” (kind of MILD style).

Hmmm, I’ll try that tonight.

how can you tell the differece between HI, visualizing some random stuff or just plain thinking about seeing something or whatever?
the last time i LD’d my eyelids were really really heavy and then it became normal when the LD became clearer…what is up with that?

Visualizing “random” stuff seems to me very much like HI’s. HI dont need to be always random though because you can influence them aswell. The difference with plain thinking about seeing something is that you dont really visualize anything at that time, because if you do, it stops to be plain thinking and you start to see stuff (in your mind, ofcourse).

I never experienced eyelids becoming heavy in a LD.

:help:wanted

:dream:whenever i see HIs I get so exicted my eyelids just pop open! HELP ME! BTW when you feel tingly is tit the Hypnogogic stage?

_Maroon_5, welcome to the forum.

First off, dont panic… :smile: The answer to your problem would be that you need to relax enough and not get so excited that you open your eyes! There are several ways to relax yourself, i suggest you go look into that, meditation can help (perhaps some people here can give some pointers). The feeling tingly state in itself has nothing to do with HI, although HI’s do occur at that time. The tingly feeling comes from falling asleep.

:cool_laugh: Thanks so much. the flashes of light and color seem to last 4ever… I feel my body going numb and I always think i am dreaming but When i move i am awake lol :smile: how do u know when ur asleep