REM Surfing is fun!

This morning I had a long and vivid lucid dream, or rather, a series of lucid dreams, all in the same place, setting, doig the ame thing, etc. It was very fun, very real, but I seemed to lack the ability to do certain things. I did it wiht this new technique I’ve made for myself.
Anyways, lately I’ve been telling myself that if I wake up in the morning I’d let myself fall back to sleep, and just calmly remind myself to look for dreamsigns. Its been working, but now it’s kind of evolved into something cooler. I call it REM surfing. Its kind of like WILD, only over and over and over.
What I do is when I start to wake up, I just lay still and relax, and let myself sink back into sleep, maintaining my awareness thoughout this whole experience. I can sink in and out of dreams this way very easily, and have 3 or 4 spearate dreams in a row, all lucid :smile: I did it this morning and saw my bedroom in real life and then a dream right after, felt my real body but was dreaming, saw hypnagogic and hypnatompic (Spelling??) imagery, and had a lucid dream which I picked up and left off as I surfed through REM sleep, to wakefulness, and back again.
It was very fun :smile:
Anyone else do this sort of thing?

I think i’ve done this a few times by accident… but it is cool! I usually just want to get more sleep in the weekends but end up having a series of LD’s… :grin: either by WILD’s or DILD or i just suddenly realise… its intresting though…

Yeah happens on accident now and then. Making it into a technique is cool though, this way you can stay lucid pretty long!

Isn’t it what was called dream reentry? Few days ago, I had my first dream reentry. I woke up from a LD, I took care to make absolutely no move… and few seconds later, I found myself in a new LD. It was longer and more lucid than the first one! :smile:

right this works and lets you dream as long as you can stand it (theoretically ?)

BUT!

I don’t think it’s all good for you to do too much, it makes you feel burned out if you don’t go back to normal sleep afterward, it’s best done like… maybe 3-4 hours before waking, but 3-4 hours after sleep.

some evidence will support the notions that your brain is in a different state while lucid, and I theorize that lucid REM, prolonging it longer than it should be, may not be so beneficial for you… i mean on a scientific level you need “normal” REM, on a psychological level you need to be unaware of the fact that you are dreaming so that you can deal with problems/sort ideas out.

i think the solution here is finding a way to simply go to sleep within your dream while lucid, when REM is ending, and to “wake up into lucidity” when your mind finds it suitable for you to dream again.

well… just don’t force yourself to dream too much unless you have extra time to sleep in.

the most agreeable approach is “passive-lucidity” where you are lucid but you still let the dream direct you where to go… but then it becomes tricky to maintain lucidity some times…

if you “REM surf” and then seize complete and total control of the dream and try to have everything your way, (for me) it’s harder to stay awake… whereas if you let go the FAs stop and you get a longer dream…

I found this thread about Dream Reentry.
[url]Dream Reentry Technique]
Isn’t it quite the same technique?

i think with some dedication you could use this general concept to cultivate WILD skills.

i mean, think about FAs, right, what’s the difference between an FA and really being in bed?

let’s assume that:
1)when you “wake up” you DON’T MOVE… doesn’t matter if you are dreaming or not, you don’t move.
2) you attempt to hold onto the last dream you had, get in “the void” whatever works for you.
3) continue with the dream.

this will be helpful, in that, regardless of FAing, you are NOT letting your brain trick you, you are saying, HEY why this FA? I want MY DREAM back! Furthermore, by rejecting FAs, but not using FAs for lucidity, but rather, continuing to WILD back into the current dream from an FA… you are harnessing WILDing skills, and you are not discriminating between waking and sleeping to your mind right then, there is no difference between reality and sleep.

whether you are dreaming you are in bed, or you really are in bed, it doesn’t matter, you treat it the same, and you WILD/MILD etc back to where you came from.

this creates a consistancy in lucid dreaming, helps you practice wilding, and makes future WILDs more likely to continue as you begin to do it regularly.

do you guys follow me on this one? it seems like a good idea…

(when I FA i usually get up and continue the dream from there, but the more you FA the more you forget what you were doing, so it would be good for me to ignore FAs and try to stay in my own dream environment, whatever it may be)

i also do not support the complete annihilation and struggle for control over dream environments, the goal is only to maintain a sense of fluid consistancy in terms of dream environment, let the mind fill in the blanks, just gently guide it back where you want to go and try to reach balance with it…

don’t resist, struggle, or get frustrated, it has to be a natural thing.

Yeah, I just called it REM surfing cause it didn’t know what to call it, and it sounded cool at the time :cool:

Ooo i just thought i’d tell you i had 5 LD’s last night using this tech :cool: … its like my most ever in one night, that i can remember :grin:… though i think i actually had more…

It’s really a GREAT technique. Some people have had up to 12 LD’s in a row using it. I discovered it quite recently, have had 1 LD with it, and it was longer and more lucid than the LD I left.

I agree with Basilus :cool: This is the technique my mother uses to LD. I used to call it “the loop” before, bacause it would bring me back into the same dream several times. For me, it is easiest to do it after several sleep cycles…late in the morning.

I’ve had this experience a few times too.
I think it occurs when you are in a natural LD state. Some mind/body chemistry thing is happening creating perfect conditions to produce LDs, and you can have several if you remain still and calm and let the LD tendency continue instead of becoming fully awake.
In other words, it’s not so much an “induction technique” as it is just intuitively discovering that LD momentum will continue naturally if you just wait.