Rubbing-hands-together action and lucidity?

I had my first LD in some time last night, after starting a new dream journal the night before with the intention of attempting to lucid dream again. I love instant results!

I became lucid in an unusual (for me) manner - a false awakening. I dreamed that I opened my eyes in the dream and then closed my eyes again to get back into the dream, but in reality I dreamed that. I guess it was a lucid dream within a dream. I didn’t have a lot of control over it; I guess I’m out of practice. I also was not 100% lucid and even through I knew I was dreaming, kept confusing my perception with actual reality.

My flashlight that I usually carry in my pocket didn’t work in the dream. I tried to use it and it just wouldn’t produce any light. So that was an interesting version of the light switch dream sign. Maybe it’s universal to all types of lights controlled by switches, not just the ones mounted on walls. I wonder if candles work in dreams :tongue:

On to the point of this post: I tried rubbing my hands together because IIRC it’s a technique to enhance lucidity some people have recommended here. I ended up getting them stuck together into a single appendage, like a stump. Has anybody had this happen before? Does the rubbing-hands-together thing work for anybody?

Edit: Maybe this should be moved to Lucid Adventures? I don’t know.

:lol:

Sorry for laughing, but the mental image of hands sticking together is somewhat funny.

I have used that technique with success, several times, in the time after I first joined LD4all. The point is probably to make a sensory impression that comes from the dream and not from the outside world. Other techniques with the same purpose has worked better for me later, especially talking or singing loudly to myself inside the dream.

Candles usually work in my dreams, but then again, they usually start fires. :help: Maybe you should carry a night vision device in your pocket in your next LD?

To me it’s the best way to stabilize the dream, or to get the dream more vivid. Well you said it yourself, you didn’t had 100% control over your dream and that’s why this RC tech didn’t quite work, also if you had any doubt about it efficiency then it’s not a surprise that it didn’t work properly.

It’s definitely a technique that could help you in the future…

Anything that makes you connect your senses to the inside of the dream should help stabilize. Rubbing/clapping hands (touch and sound), stomping your feet, singing, licking/tasting any nearby object, touching anything (your hands and body are the best, because they are always there).