Shortcuts for BBCode?

Hi,

Quick question, have the shortcuts for text colours etc been removed completely? I know the colours still work if you type the code in manually but I know the old forum had the drop down selection for the various colour codes and I just wondered if this feauture has been moved and I’m missing it or if it has to be done manually now?

Just as a side note, I noticed when updating my DJ that I needed to type the code for each indvidual paragraph for the formatting to take effect? Even if I want the colour to remain the same. It seems like the code doesn’t carry through line breaks. Not sure if this is intentional or maybe a bug, so thought I’d flag it just in case!

Thanks

The forum software’s primary formatting engine is markdown (based on the CommonMark spec https://commonmark.org/help/ ), and BBCode support is only added through a custom plugin. Unfortunately, this does lead to some limitations, one of which being that we don’t necessarily have buttons for every formatting function. On of those limitations is that there is no color drop down list anymore, but any standard HTML named color (https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_hex.asp) should work as well has any 6 digit hex code.

Also, because it isn’t BBCode native, but rather BBCode rules built into a markdown engine, there are some aspects that must conform to the markdown rules, even though they don’t make a lot of sense for BBCode. This is why tags no longer work very well across multiple paragraphs. More specifically, it will carry over a single new line, but not a blank line in between paragraphs.

Example

Single new line:

This is a blue line
This is a new line, still blue

[color=blue]
This is a blue line
This is a new line, still blue
[/color]

Empty line between paragraphs:
[color=blue]
Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2 after a blank line
[/color]

2 Likes

I see! Thanks for clearing that up for me :slight_smile:

Also, we have @Ysim to thank for the fact that color bb codes and DJ formatting even work here, he wrote a custom plugin :bowing_woman::bowing_woman: :bowing_woman: