Slowed breathing, before sleep.

The other night I was attempting to have an OOBE by using a method of my own imagination. I did not succeed but the results were very interesting. When I laid in my bed I positioned myself onto my back with my head facing up and completely relaxed myself. As I relaxed I concentrated on my breathing until it became a silent feeling that I could feel with my hands (they were placed on my stomach). As I concentrated on the breathing my head slowly fell to the side the first time so I decided to try again. This time I used the same method but once I could no longer hear my own breathing I concentrated on slowing it. This came surprisingly easily and I managed to bring down my breathing to a point where it was almost hard to identify but I could still feel it in my lungs. At this point I started to open and close my nostrils slowly to go along with my slow breathing, when I breathed in they would get larger, and when I gently exhaled they would contract. After a few minutes of doing this I managed to slow my breathing down to a complete calm, all I was concentrated on was moving my nostrils, I honestly did not know if I was breathing or not, it didn’t feel like I was breathing but at the same time I wasn’t experiencing a lack of oxygen. Moments later (I had my eyes closed the entire time) I could see the darkness in my vision slowly start to light up and I felt slight vibration around my neck and mouth. I also had a very wonderful feeling of joy moving throught my body (as if I had taken ecstacy for example) and I felt that I could strengthen this feeling as I saw fit and continued doing so until it was no longer in my control, it felt like as if something had happened that made me the happiest I could possibly be. At that moment a squirrel or chipmunk came up to my window (I sleep in the basement and my window is at ground level) and russled in the foilage and completely startled me. I lost my concentration and decided I would go to sleep then.

Not sure if this is in the process of an OOBE but it was most enjoyable, if anyone else has experienced this or wishes to comment please do so.

slowing breathing also slows heartbeat, brainwaves, and state of consciousness somewhat if you are good at it or have much practice. sounds like you are able to enter some level of trance :peek:

Not just trance but close to a succesful WILD also. Besides anyone that relaxes is “able to enter some level of trance” :happy:

How does it bring me closer to having a WILD? Simply by being focused as I fall asleep?

Yes. If you are interested read here for my tech I use in this stage to enter a dream fully lucid.

Xetrov, the link you posted for your technique doesn’t work. Could you post it again?

Also, I’ve been curious about the breathing thing before sleeping. One time I did a WBTB after about 6 hours of sleeping. I’ve never done a WILD before but decided to just concentrate on my breathing. It gave me a crazy realistic FA. I’m almost wondering if it was an OBE because I tried to roll my body and had a really hard time getting myself up out of bed (my dream body that it is).

I also tried it last night before going to bed and noticed this quick shift, almost like I wasn’t in control of my breathing anymore or I could feel myself breathing. It was almost like a quick adrenaline rush. It was quick though and then I went back into being more conscious of my breathing. The HI was pretty cool. I found myself thinking really silly things. I tried to concentrate and expand on the imagery but I just fell asleep.

I know WILD usually doesn’t work when you first go to bed, but I’m wondering if focusing on breathing could help with anything? Maybe I should try it during a WBTB? Also, what part does breathing play in lucid dreaming techniques? Does it help with WILD? Does it create an OBE? For example if you made it a point to focus more on breathing rather than HI would it help create more of an OBE rather than a LD?

anybody have any thoughts on this?