Something dream researchers have concluded...

It is possible that TV does do it, some TV’s were a more sepia colour than greyscale.

That said I had a Black & White TV until I was 10yrs old, but never had Black & White dreams. My dad on the other hand didn’t get colour TV until he was around 35ish. Yet he dreams in black & white mostly.

He has had a few instances where he was dreamed a rare colour dream followed by black and white dreams. If it was a matter of your brain remembering colour why would he remember the first dream in colour and not the rest?

It’s a question about your Dream Recall, wheather your memory is good enough to recall colors and other less important details. Everyone dream in color, therefore all lucid dreams are in color, cause then you’re fully aware of the details.

Not really. You may be aware of it at the time, but your recall when you wake up won’t miraculously be better because you were lucid. Many of my earlier LDs I have very little recall with, less than my average dreams in some cases. During my teens 13-16/17 I had very poor recall, to the point I was only remembering having dreams 1/2 per week at most yet all of them were in colour.

I find it hard to believe that recall has influence on colour to that high a degree, when you take into consideration dreams where colours were extremely vibrant, beyond anything in waking life, and yet recall was low it’s rather contradictory. While it may play some part, I feel there has to be more to it that simply recall. :hmmm:

One thing you have to remember is the time people grew up, for the older members of the forum it may be because colour wasn’t a big part of life when they were young. I mean TVs were either black & White or White and Brown, clothing was pretty much brown, black, navy and a creamy white.
There were very few bright or radiant colours because they couldn’t make them. Look at really old houses, the paint colours are a dull flat colour.

It wasn’t until more recently that colours took off, the 60’s kick started it, but even then many colours were still dull compared to what you would see today. It was life that was dull in colour.

Today, colour is a big part of many people’s life, not just in what we see and technology. But fashion as a whole, it is important to look good to many people and colour is how it is done. Life and colour have changed and I think for many people that is really the difference between how they dream. Real life is the biggest dream influence there is and has to play some part in colour.

Even if they didn’t put so much color in things in the past, Though I think they did put bright colors on things even then, It doesn’t mean that everything was dull in color. Grass will have been just as green back then, the sky just as blue, blood just as red. It’s not enough to make the perceptual system not recognise colors, and so ignores them in dreams.
But it does make sense that watching black and white movies and TV plays a part, since that entertainment probably has influenced our fantasy life alot. And if we find ourselves in a situation like in a movie, then we should remember the black and white atmosphere.
If so then ofcourse black and white dreams must have been a realtively short lived trend in human history. Caused by movies and TV. Imagine what HDTV can do to peoples dream lives!

/me :peek:

I had black and white TV upto the age of 15 and all my dreams were in colour. The only dream that even had a black and white sequence in it was quite recently Main Dream…Walk in the Pitch Darkness.

I didn’t know anyone dreamed in black and white.

Also, I really don’t think either recall or TV has anything to do with it.
Because so what if all you watch is black and white TV, TV is only a small part of life, and you don’t (at least I don’t) generally dream about TV related things…

It surely is a myth that anyone dreams in black and white (apart from people who see in black and white anyway).

Perhaps anyone who says they dream in black and white just don’t pay enough attention to their dreams.

I can’t remember the colors when I dream so when I Try to picture my dream its in Black and White.

Check - Colour
Shatterspike1 - Colour
bodhibay - Colour
krakatoa - Colour (guessing by your post)
Snape - Is weird or broken
Tundra - Colour (guessing by your post)
Mohegan - Colour
Wyrmfell - Colour
Graech - Colour
Mohegan’s Parents - B&W
- B&W
Wyrmfell’s Parents - B&W
- B&W
Graech’s Dad - Color
Graech’s Mom - Undecided

It seems that most people under… we’ll say 50 though I have no idea have color dreams while people over 50 have B&W.

That might true because I doubt many people who don’t focus on their dreams like the people on this forum would know.

sorry mate that is completely wrong. I have had both lucid dreams in color and in black and white.

My black and white lucid dreams were not a conscious cause, in other words i did not mean to have them this way.

From these lucid dream i have been able to make the world colorful, but not the other way around.

Be careful with what you state as fact so bluntly.