superstitions

That’s exactly what I’ve been told about itchy palms Magnus. I didn’t know to not scratch it though…

here’s one:

never let a knife’s tip, of any kind, point towards anyone. It means death will come their way.

I’m so guilty of moving everyone’s knife at the table when I see it pointing towards someone. And when we go out to dinner with other people, I break a sweat.

What is superstition? It is a conditioned response to experience in which either the cause has been misidentified or for which the rational justification has been forgotten and the response hs been ritualized.

At the back of all superstitious behavior lies some rational thought based upon someone’s original experience. Attempting to rediscover it however, is guaranteed to frustrate.

Eoghan

Hey everyone

I am not superstitious but i know a relavent one to Dreaming, “Fridays dreams should never be told, on saturday however old”

Alex

Really? Well, i don’t believe in chan letters. I once got one saying i would be murdered if i didn’t resend it within 24 hours… Am i dead? Theres your answer.

ahh superstitions. i only have one.

this came from back in my graffiti days. it is my mates superstition but you HAD to go with it if you were out with him. he would go nuts and stop the “mission” right there if you messed around with this superstition.

any street signs that are above a side walk with 2 poles on either side of the side walk. he believed walking underneath this was bad luck, sort oflike walking under a ladder. he said everytime someone has walked under one of these when headin to a spot, the night has ended in a run from the cops or some kind of trouble. of course this sometimes happened regardless of abiding by his silly superstition.

needless to say i have spent the rest of my life walking on the outside of these types of signs. people look at me wierd when i do it. i do not know if it brings me good luck, or bad luck to walk straight through, but it is a habbit and i do not think i will stop.

i personally believe crazy superstitions could be considered a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I hear LGC. and i just noticed something with your name… LGC right? LoGiC… LOGIC! basically, your logic is pretty good, and your name can be abbreviated then tweaked to say what your good at! amazing…

Superstition struck today.

“Never put your left shoe on first”

I did today and thought “uhoh that’s bad luck” as a joke, susperstition is nothing to me. As I left the house I had a bad feelings.

5minutes later I slipped on ice, tore the right knee on my jeans to shreads (and my knee for that matter).

Lesson learned: Listen to my instincts more often. They’re never wrong. :tongue:

I’ve never heard of that one before :eek:
I hope you didn’t end up too badly injured when you :thud:

nah. I probably should have broke my arm, but my coat is really think and padded so it took most of the impact.

I was just going to mention that one, Ilum. It’s one of the few I actually follow. :tongue:

I never heard of that one either. :eh:

Watch me do that tomorrow and nearly kill myself. :lol:

Heh, reminds me of the last Friday the 13th when I slipped on the ice while running for the bus.

Interestingly enough, friday the 13th does not have any real supernatural significance at all. In fact it is considered unlucky because on the morning of friday the 13th a few centurys ago, the king of France systimatically had all the Knights Templar in the kingdom arrested and/or slain on the charge of heresy (in order to rid himself of his debt to them). Many of the knights were slain when they tried to defend themselves and the rest were hanged soon after being imprisoned.

Here’s one I heard from my dad when I was little:
(Or my mom)?
No, I’m pretty sure it was my dad.

It was something about if you look out the window when you first wake up, all your dreams will fly out the window and you’ll forget them. It sounds silly, but to this day when I want to have good DR, I keep my blinds down to remember my dreams.

Thats not very far-fetched BB, maybe the dream won’t actually exit via the window but the increased stimulation of the brain is bound to push out some of the details of the dream.

I wanted to tell this.
This wednesday I heard about a new superstition that was very interesting and that I never heard about before.

It was an old man on a videoclip that told this.

Birthmarks of Fear.

if a pregnant woman touches her own body when she becomes afraid then the child will have a birthmark of the thing she was scared of.

For example if she fell into a burning christmas tree and touched herself, then the child for example could have a birthmark that looked like a christmas tree on the chest.

If your right eyebrow itches you’re gonna meet someone you havent seen in a long time.
If your left eyebrow itches you’re gonna say good bye to someone who will be away for a long time.

And something we used to say when we were kids (dunno if it was us who made it up): if you point with your finger at the stars you’ll get warts.

Personally I believe 13 and Friday the 13th are very lucky, they’ve been corrupted by the Christian church in thier “Everything the pagans believe is wrong and evil” campaign.
13 is the number of witches a coven aims to have and it was Freya’s personal number. Freya also presided over fridays (Freya’s day/Friday. Get it? Tuesday - Friday were named after Norse gods) Hence Friday the 13th is especially favoured by Freya, bringing good luck, especially in the areas of love and beauty.

I don’t know about Friday the 13th, but I find late october (Hallowe’en) to be a pretty great time of every single year…

A lot of people think that Friday the 13th means a bad day. Personally, I realy look forward to them when they come around.

For some reason Friday the 13s come out to be some of my best days of the year. I’ve never had a bad day on one yet. Of course, it may all be in my head. If I tell myself It’s going to be a good day, i guess it will be. Just depends on how you view it.