the BIG remembering dreams topic part V

I’m also sometimes discouraged from writing down my dreams because they’re sometimes quite boring. Only the more interesting, weirder ones are placed on my online dream journal so as to not bore my public. :smile:

When I wake up in the middle of the night just to remember some immensely mundane event, that’s quite frustrating. A dream which could impossible happen in real life is what I’d like to wake up for.

Hmm, I was just thinking about something today. I consider my dream recall to be pretty decent, but the last two weeks or so I’ve sort of been slipping (university work).

I still wake up several times a night from a dream, but lately I don’t write down as many. Many times I just don’t really care and I en up only writing down the ones I consider good.

This is more a question to the really experienced LD’ers. Can it hurt overall recall if you’re selective with writing down dreams? Just to be clear, I do still “intend” to wake up after every dream (and usually that’s exactly what happens). It’s just that I can’t really be arsed to write down some of the shorter dreams (or if I wake up being too tired). A quick glance through my DJ will tell you what my recall is like.

If it’ll hurt my overall recall, I’ll go back to writing down everything and make the extra effort. But it saves me a lot of time if I just write down the “bigger” ones, so to speak.

As long as you actually take the time to recall as much as possible, it won’t hurt not to actually write them down.

I think it would improve your recall if you would write everything down. It’s just that the more you write down, the more you remember from following dreams, at least for almost everyone. But as moogle says it would not really hurt your recall not to write everything down if you just take your time and recall as much as you can.

i love remembering my dreams and my family thinks that i am crazy when i tell them about them. well they dont know what they are missing.

Well, my first post, certainly not the first time around ld4all or LDing.
Within the last (about) year and a half, I’ve been wondering about the possibility of seriously developing my dream recall, lucid dreaming and possibly a number of other…things.
Finally, and not a moment too early, I’ve decided that the topic of Dreams is just too important a part of life to sleep through.
And so, about a week ago, I made the first move towards my goals, which is reading and gathering knowledge about Everything Dreams And Sleep I could find, combining this with a DJ.

Problem is… my status at the moment is a Military Medic, something which leaves very little freedom of choice concrning my sleep hours.
I’d say my average night is composed of between 4 and 6 and a half hours of sleep.
Along the course of the last 9-10 days I was able to remember 2 maybe 3 whole dreams, some details missing. maybe a a few more fragments, but that’s it.
I should also note that 3 dreams within that time is quite an achievement for me, sadly being able to remember absolute NOTHING for MONTHES at times.
But. but but but… I feel that my intention’s suppose to propel me forward with so much more force…
I’m really trying to improve my dream recall, motivation I have in tons. I’m using AS every night before(and if) going to bed, telling myself I will dream, and when the dream ends I’ll awaken and remember it.
I’m even using the glass of water routine.
Any tips for success?

Oh, Hey everyone :smile:

*edit
Also, I’m really starting to believe that I am a deep sleeper.
I just can’t seem to wake up at will during the night.
So, any advice is welcome /:

:wave: MnemonicDetermination
You can improve dream recall by doing just a few things…

• Set the intent to remember your dreams before you go to sleep
  • Do not jump out of bed when first waking up (equally try to wake up gently … I find a beeping alarm better than a clock radio) … lie still for five minutes to give yourself time to recapture any dream memories
  • keep a notebook and pen by your bed and jot down the dream before you start your day … even just keywords or a short list summary will help
  • if the above don’t help … then alter the time period that you actually sleep (an extra half hour for example or half an hour less). I find if i wake up just after or during REM, my recall is clearer a lot quicker and sometimes I wake with the full dream already in my memory

I’ve read quite a lot about this technique and I believe it’s the most effective one for me at least, differs from person to person I guess. However are you intended to tell yourself that you will dream and remember them when you wake up until you fall asleep? I often, especially now that school has started again, can’t fall asleep as easily as before - and it doesn’t feel right to tell myself that i’ll dream for 40 min~ :confused:

Thanks!

just telling yourself with conviction a number of times is enough (3 or 5 times)
and then just relax, often thinking about what you would like to dream about

First off, let me start by saying my name is Daniel(Hits Daniel3466)

I have Been Looking Into Lucid Dreaming For about 2-Three mounths now
Read Multi Books on the the subject, Checked out your guys’s Guide To Lucid Dreaming, From First, To The While Sec

And im 15 Years Old

Ok… So My Prob

I cant Remeber ANY dreams, the last dream i remember was about 4-6 mouths ago

a total of about 3 in a year

I am Home Schooled, so I sleep from 10 at night to 6 in the morning, then take a 1 hour nap about 4 hours later

Iv Tried Warm Milk,
Telling My self i will remember My Dream

visualise my self remembering the next morning.

And Using The Water Trick

I found This On YouTube
youtube.com/watch?v=aX1DaQ2F_yE

The Hu Tech
And Still No Remery

P.S. I take Two 50mg B6 pills at night, and have been for 4 days now

P.S.S. If this is in the wroung area let me know, im just a noob guys and gals

Thanks, Hope To Join in the lucid dream experince or, well… even remember a Non-lucid dream at LEAST once a week

Hey Daniel, on behalf of everyone welcome to LD4all! :wave: Enjoy your stay, the lounge is over there, playground down there… here have a drink

Anyway, click here for the BIG topic on remembering dreams.

Basically:
Step 1: what i and a majority of people do is keep a dream journal. A simple book (or a fancy one if you wish. after all, it is YOUR dream journal :write: ) to record your dreams. Decorate it, make it look how you want it to look, as you’ll be writing in it a lot. And put it near your bed so you can reach easily.

Step 2: When you wake up try to lay still and think about remembering what the dream was. Moving around straight after awakening gets your body and mind started for the day, so it helps to lie still but you can move if you’re uncomfortable. Make sure not to fall asleep again though, if you’re still sleepy open your eyes and look around a bit but try not to take anything in. Simply close them again after awhile.

Step 3: Now try to remember the dream. Don’t focus too hard, and don’t let your mind drift. er… could someone elaborate this? Hard for me to explain.
At first you should only remember bits and pieces, so as soon as you remember anything write it in your dream journal before you forget. Even if it’s a single word, person, object, write it down! Things could come back to you during the day so make sure you have something to write on.

When i first started i could only get a few dot points.
Even now sometimes it takes awhile but i remember the dream in pieces and then i can focus on putting the parts together. Then i write it down in the dream journal. Others can remember the entire sequence of the dream straight away.

There are probably other ways to help with recalling dreams, but that is the basic technique. You don’t have to take B6, i think it’s to aid in lucidity :confused: I don’t know much about B6.
Anyway, good luck and sweet dreams . I have a feeling i’ve left something out though… :eh:

Can simply reading through your DJ, and trying to remmber how you felt during a dream help with recall?

Kava, that has worked for me in the past. :content: Whenever I have a dry spell I pick a dream and try to recall as many aspects of it as possible. I tend to think that it helps, but it may not work for everyone.

I like looking for dreams, in my DJ that I have no recollection of dreaming it. Do you know what I mean? Ive have alot of dreams in my DJ, that I just dont remmber dreaming. If I (you) could find one of those dreams, and really try to recall what was going on in the dream I think it could really help strengthen DR. Another tip that may help, is read about 5 dreams, and remmber them, and replay them in your head throughout the day. Ive done this offten, and I think it really helps, because the next night I wake up with some pretty good DR.

I’m very new to making a DJ. I have school during the week and I can’t just sit down in the morning and start writing down my dreams or I won’t make it to school. If I succesfully recall it, will I be able to make it through the school day and recall and write it down later? If not, should I just wake up sooner? Is there any other tips?

It’s always best to wake up a little earlier to give you time to jot the dreams down. If this isn’t possible or you don’t want to do it :tongue: then writing down the key words when you wake up should be enough to jolt your memory later that night.

For the past 3-4 days I’ve been having awful dream recall. I just can’t remember what I was dreaming when I wake up.

I’ve tried setting my alarm to a time when I’m likely to be experiencing or just coming out of REM. But then I’m constantly thinking about what time it is, repeatedly checking to see what time it is, telling myself over and over how I need to get to sleep and remember my dreams. Of course, then it’s virtually impossible to get to sleep.

Last night I set my alarm to wake me up in 6 hours. I actually got to sleep. When I woke up, I couldn’t remember any of my dreams. Not only that, but after I set my alarm to wake me up in 90 minutes, I couldn’t get back to sleep! :grrr:

I’m thinking maybe this insomnia and poor dream recall has been induced by some kind of performance anxiety.

:help:

Hello My Name Is Daniel
here is about me

I’m not a drinker,smoker, or a Stressed guy,
I go TO bed around 9:30-10:40. and wake up at 11:00,

When i go to bed i go after i ate, usly a HOUR after dinner, use the bathroom and brush my teeth, Lay in bed and out loud say, I will remember my Dream, three times
Then in my mind i say that over and over till i drift asleep, once in a while i wake up at 4:10 and lay still with my eyes closed trying to recap my dream(nothing) and go back to sleep, when i wake up at normal time i do the same(nothing)

Last dream i remember was the 4/11/09

I eat TOTAL in the morning with a glass of milk and a apple, for lunch sometimes a Cheese Sandwich, and sometimes i don’t eat, and for super last night i had Steak, beans and Cooked Carrots,

P.S. I take B12 and B6 every night to make them more vivid,

Please Help me,
thanks
Daniel

~Keep On Dreaming~

@jermd1990
Temporary dry spells are common. The dream recall will return :thumbs:

:wave: hello Daniel, welcome to the forum.
Since setting the intention and taking your time on first awakening isn’t working so far. I would suggest setting your alarm for a slightly different time (try 30 minutes longer or shorter and see how it goes) … you are probably just waking at the wrong time in your sleep cycle.

It’s already returned. :woo:

The past couple nights I’ve had decent recall. I’m happy to be remembering anything, at this point.

I’m an impatient guy, I guess. I’ve already had my first LD, but I’m still complaining. :eh:

[mod]this topic is now locked and will continue in the BIG remembering dreams topic part VI :moogle: [/mod]