The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part IV

I haven’t been able to write anything here for a while but i’ll put in a little update now.

I’m still struggeling with my SP, even though it has been decreasing since I managed to stay somewhat more calm during sp. Almost like I now can get to sleep without have to worry about get into sp.
But sometimes it’s still scares the s**t out of me.

Last week I kinda accidently fell asleep when I was lying in my bed reading. It was quite early and I wasn’t particularly tired. But i remember that i was lying in my bed, on my back, when suddenly both my legs got pulled away from each other and down towards the end of my bed. And it happened really really fast. I could move my upper body a little but I got really scared and was to afraid to do anything. And then the whole room started to shake. Like a big earthquake. It have happened before that my bed starts to shake a bit but not like this. I thought I was gonna die or something. Then the panic came and I started shaking my head and tried to wake myself up, which I did.
I was all wet and my heart was pounding really fast when i woke up. Then I couldn’t sleep for a few hours.

Does any of this make any sense to you? It sometimes feels like there’s something wrong with me when this uncontrolled sp’s happen.
I do try to get lucid when I go to sleep and experiment a little bit, listening to music, trying different positions in bed, reality checks etc. But sometimes I just loose control and it gets scary.

It was a strange experience and after reading on ld4all and on astralsociety.com - it seems the shake and quake might have something to do with OBE, or that I’m on the way of getting an OBE.

Any thoughts of all this?

I’ve experienced sleep paralysis several times in my life, although here are the most memorable experiences.

Somethin like a year ago, I had woken up in the mornin to noise outside my door, but my eyes were still closed, and my body completely unable to move. I started to panic real bad, as I was afraid that I’d never be able to wake up my body, and that I’d have to spend the rest of my life as a vegetable, while bein aware of it at the same time. I noticed that although I was unable to move a single limb or open my eyes, I could still control my breathin rate. So I started to breath faster, and harder, and it would not help. Then I struggled to wiggle one of my fingers, and it worked. Gradually I was able to wake up the rest of my body, and felt so relieved and glad to be awake. I experienced this another time, except that I couldn’t manage to move my body, so I just let myself relax and fall back asleep, knowin that I’d wake up sooner or later.

This next experience is a very frightenin one. I still get chills thinkin about it, so I feel rather uneasy writin this. But basically one night I was sleepin on my back with the pillow ontop of me, under the covers. My mind woke up, although my body was paralyzed. I knew my pillow was still there, yet I felt an evil presence. Then suddenly I believed that it was the demon girl from the Exorcist, and became struck with intense fear, and I was too scared to take off the covers or even move (by now I was believin that I had already woken up and opened my eyes). Then I suddenly remember feelin my body gettin up on its own as if possessed, and I fell on my knees and my vision was fadin, and I remember seein the demon girl’s head on a pole or somethin. Then I woke up, only to find my pillow still ontop of me, hidden under the covers (which truly disturbed me). I got out of bed and didn’t go back for a few hours.

:sad:

Wow, I’m almost getting chills just reading about this! I’d heard of SP before I even started getting interested in LDs, and it seemed really scary to me. I don’t know much about it, and I’d like to learn more.

I actually remember getting SP once. Although it was about seven years ago, my memory of it is amazingly vivid. My little brother had just rented “Super Smash Bros” and had been playing it all day. I remember watching him battle the final boss of the game: this giant, gloved hand called “Master Hand”. I didn’t really think about it much after I left my little brother to his game. That night, I was sleeping soundly until about one in the morning, when I was suddenly awakened by this… (in lack of a better word)…pang of fear that just randomly struck me. My heart was beating very fast, and I couldn’t move. I could already tell something was wrong. All of a sudden, Master Hand (the final boss of my brother’s game, remember?) appeared by the side of my bed. I was terrified, and I tried to scream but no sound came out. The giant hand began reaching for me, trying to grab me out of my bed. By this time it felt like the room was spinning, and I shut my eyes tightly, desperately wishing the feeling would go away. That’s when I realized that the feeling in my body was coming back, and as I opened my eyes I saw that Master Hand was gone and the room had stopped spinning. My heart was still beating quickly and I felt incredibly dizzy, and I was too scared to go back to sleep for a while. I was only a little girl when this happened, about seven or eight years old. The next morning I simply wrote it off as a very vivid nightmare, but it wasn’t until several years later that I actually learned what SP was. All the symptoms match up: the inability to move, the dizziness, the panic, the hallucinations, etc. It was definitely a terrifying experience.

I haven’t gone through SP since then, and the thought of it makes me shiver. I do wonder about it, though. It seems that SP is a very common occurance in lucid dreamers (or just budding lucid dreamers!). Is it something that you always experience when you become lucid during sleep? Does it become less scary if it happens more than once? Is it harmful in any way? I’d like to get some answers from someone who’s a bit more knowledgable on the subject than I am.

When you know what you’re dealing with, SP is actually really controllable and like a “gate” to a lucid dream.

I’ve heard that before, and it does seem to make sense.

But is it really nessecary to go through if you’re trying to induce a lucid dream? SP isn’t exactly a pleasant thing to experience, and I don’t want to find myself having to go through it every time I try to become lucid. Does it become less frightening after it’s happened a few times? Are there ways to become lucid without having to conciously experience SP? It seems like WILD is the main technique that’s guaranteed to involve SP, but are there any easier ways to become lucid without it?

When it comes to SP, I’m one of the lucky ones. I’ve had SP 3 times, but I didn’t have any hallucinations with it. What’s funny is, I kept thinking the whole time “I don’t wanna have hallucinations, they’ll scare me even if I don’t think they’re real”, but I just ended up laying there until it wore off. No thinking I was gonna die, no Freddy Kreuger standing on my bed, nothing :cool:

last night i had a vision during SP. i was reading something, but found i had misread it. i went back to read it again, but it had changed completely. i knew at once that this amounted to a failed reality, but was convinced it wasnt quiite a dream, so i fefrained freom opening my eyes for fear that the vision would fade and i would be fully awake again.
do reality checks work in SP visions?
should i have tried opening my eyes?

is it possible to have SP in like 30 minutes into sleeping? cuz i started having a lucid dream then and i decided to wake up but i couldnt move a muscle, i was scared, i tried so hard to move my hand…THen i eventually woke up breathing heavily. Is thisw real sleep paraylis?

moved into big sleep paralysis and old hag topic :moogle:

I am so freaked out now! I went last week with my friend to buy my ps3 and play multiplayer with my friend (RESISTANCE FTW!! LOL) and after we got done we decided we should go to bed. He tells me about lucid dreams and I listen. He tells me if I am really tired, go to sleep on my back, close my eyes and focus deeply on something to keep me awake while enetering a dream, that I would be able to control my dreams. I tried it, nothing. So I tried it every day since then (I DONT QUIT ANYTHING!!!) So last night, I tried it and I start seeing all these weird distorted figures walking towards me slowly… I try to reach for the pistol I keep under my bed but I cant move, I am so freaked out by this point that I try screaming, NO USE! the figures disappear. I count 1… 2… 3… 4… 5… and all of a sudden this wrinkled face is at the foot of my bed with red eyes staring at me. I see it for a while and the next thing i know im dreaming about something(CANT REMEMBER!) and i wake up sweating covers thrown off… I am now too afraid to even walk upstairs into my room. let alone go to sleep. WHAT THE HELL DID I EXPERIANCE! My friend told me this is a good dream site.

wtf? did you actually have tear marks on your face?

not too sure, my friend said i did, All i know of for sure is sweat lol

I was just about to link you to this topic before some mod merged your post in here :wink:
But damn! That’s one nasty old hag (Right?), and mixed with SP… Yuck!
You might recognize your experience if you read the first post in part 1:
[The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic)

:hugs:

A sleep paralysis experience can be very scary when we don’t know what it is. I used to be terrified by it, not being able to move, and sometimes seeing and hearing things!

What is important to keep in mind, is the fact that this is hallucinations :cool: No matter how disturbing the images are (i usually get the sound of somebody walking towards my bed or somebody sitting on me) they aren’t real. It is just a sign that we are falling asleep, and the WILD process can sometimes make us experience this while we still think we are fully awake. Other lucid dreaming techniques, such as MILD, doesn’t have WILD’s risk of triggering SP.

Not even SP hallucinations have to be nightmares, btw. I sometimes get a cat jumping into my bed and sleeping peacefully :content:

Yeah but see. I didnt know they were hallucinations. I never even knew what happened when I WILD till now -.- im pissed at my friend tho cause he didnt tell me, he said just let it take you into dream land…

Don’t blame your friend :wink: SP is rare and it’s just bad luck you got it I guess. And SP with hallucinations is even more unlucky.

If you try to WILD again I’m pretty sure you won’t experience this.

I can only hope to have another Hallucination… I find it mind blowing - perhaps I’m a thrill seeker!

The point is Hallucinations rock (well, unless somehow they are VERY scary). SP can be kind of neat to experience… I only have had partial SP though personally.

moved from general lucidness :moogle:

i’m new here, but i think about my dreams extremely often and remember them all of the time.
however, i am rather apprehensive about starting to LD. Doesn’t anybody here fear “sleep paralysis”? i’ve found it to be called astrocatalypsy, and it is the worst feeling i’ve felt so far in this world. not being able to breath, move, etc. but doesn’t it ever intimidate you guys? like it’s almost not worth being lucid? i used to have these more when i was a kid, but still fear them coming back. anything i can do to stay away from these but still LD, and overcome my fear, and more knowledge of it would be greatly appreciated. [:

:welcome: Have a good stay @ LD4all.com, Tiny.

Sleep Paralysis, Old Hag, and the like can be frightening if you are not mentally ready. Whenever a fearful hallucination takes hold, repeat the mantra that “None of this is real, I am safe in my bed.” There is nothing to be afraid of. Your mind isn’t used to being conscious at the onset of sleep, and the first few times can be frightening.

Not being able to move is not that big of a deal if you keep your mind calm. Just focus on the Hypnagogic Imagery and you will be pulled into a dream sooner or later.

If this isn’t enough to confront your fears, keep in mind that WILD isn’t the only technique out there. Try Reality Checks and MILD.

The only thing I fear on the topic of Lucid Dreams is the Old Hag…

Of course, I’ve taken on the habit of wearing a mask or putting a blanket over my eyes so that if I DO see an Old Hag, I’ll know it’s not real for SURE.

SP is pretty freaky the first few times, but when you know how it feels, after a while it’s less shocking.

i haven’t seen anything yet, but i used to not be able to not move a lot when i was a kid. i thought it was the same dream and i experienced it while i was in the dream, but i talked to my friend about it and he identified it. the thing is, if i’m not even half decent and becoming lucid yet, how am i supposed to realize something when i was loads of fear on me?