The BIG "Was this a LD?" Topic

Yes that was a really nice LD! Congrats :happy:

Looks very promising for your future LDing :wink:

Good luck!

Welcome Siriah ! Congrats for you 1st great LD !
You met a very kind DC ! Your questions and his answers were very funny and I like them a lot ! :smile:

Well, all these dreams sound sort of like mine.

I remembered two dreams last night, the first one was a long one, with very few drastic indications that it was a Lucid Dream, but anyways, I woke up and recorded it.

I fell asleep with the appropriate thoughts, repeating that I am dreaming over and over, and I suppose it worked. The first part of the dream was me talking to a friend outside, and I told him I was dreaming. Everything was so crystal clear, it was really insane. So, I wanted to get on with my dream and was impatient. I teleported myself to a beach, but then things got really frustrating and I couldn’t concentrate on things I wanted to. If I tried to look at something I couldn’t really get a good look. It felt like I couldn’t move my head to look at something. Some people came and distracted me, and I just wanted them all to go away. I tried to make them, but it didn’t work. Basically I had very little control, but I knew I was dreaming. Everything was really unclear after I saw my friend, and blurry and confusing. So how do I get more control?

Try saying, ‘Increase lucidity’
Or you could try reminding yourself that as it’s a dream, anything is possible. There are no boundaies as none of it really exists.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks. :smile:

i see things and always get SP, i hallucinate alot n sometimes get confused between LDs and whats just a vision, cud learning to control LDs better help this, or do they count as a kind of LD?

It’s in the same time simple and difficult to define when HI end and when dream begins.
The only and main difference between hypnagogic hallucinations and dream seems to be that :

• HI seems to be projected in front of you, like on a screen.
  • in a dream, you feel you are inside the dream landscape.

What I dont get about LD is: how do you know it’s not part of the dream? LEt me explain:

Example:

I’m on a school trip to the theatre near where we live and of course we’re going on some unknown road. Now, in reality/waking life, it’s winter, but in this dream I’m wearing a vest top and skirt, and suddenly I think ‘wait, why am i wearing these clothes in the middle of winter? this must be a dream!’
With this realisation I go around to all my friends and saying “ha ha, this is my dream, you’re in my dream and you won’t even remember this is the morning!” and generally saying loads of mean things to them because I know they won’t remember. Then I go into a shoe shop and start taking loads of shoes.

But here’s my question: what if it was just part of the dream for me to think I was dreaming? I mean, the stuff I was saying to my friends was mean and I don’t think it was true, unless it was my subconscious or something, and the shoes I was taking weren’t even nice. It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing I would do, apart from the whole ‘ha ha’ thing. Why would I take shoes if I knew I was dreaming, because I wopuld no that they wouldn’t be there in the morning?

tell me what you think , thanks

Hi nicolarose,

It depends on how lucid you are! Seems to me that when you do all these things in your lucid dreams that you would say do not fit your “normal behavior” (lucid dreamers do this on purpose a lot btw), you are only low lucid. When you are high lucid you can reflect on what you are doing and remember what you planned to do (you can remember anything at this point from your waking life), like flying or whatever. But to come back to your initial question and to pose a philosophical remark, knowing that you dream is ofcourse also part of the dream because in the dream the dream is the only thing that exists and so how could anything that happens there not be part of it? (did that make sense?)…

Hi Nicolarose ! Welcome to the forum :wave: …and Merry Christmas ! :xmas:

You’re question is a metaphysical one, and cannot be answered so easily. If I answered it litterally, I would say : of course, it was a part of a dream… since you were dreaming ! :tongue:
But I don’t believe this answer to be relevant ! :grin:
So, I think your question must be divided in two :

• what proves me that the level of consciousness I reach in a LD is different from a ND ?
    In the seventies, Pr Stephen Laberge made some experiments : in a sleep laboratory, LDers have to signal when they reach lucidity through specific eyes movements. An electro-encephalogram was verifying they were in REM sleep phase during this.
  • so, why was my behavior different in dreams from my IRL behavior ?
    Lucidity don’t mean that you access and use exactly the same brain zones than in waking state. As Xetrov said, it depends of the lucidity level. Thus, though you are lucid, you can have false memories, find extraordinary events absolutely normal, believe that the DC’s you meet are your “real” friends, etc. etc.
    Your behavior can be more impulsive and childish, too. It’s perhaps because it seems that we access more easily long-term memory that short-term memory in a dream state.

thanks for the advice + answers

ps sorry about all the
s, I thought that they were necessary!

Okay I could use some help with what this was.

I was laying in bed, thinking. It was where I was like half awake or soemthing, where I can focus on something and I’m ready to sleep. In my mind I walked up some stairs, and my vision went into the grond and started to go dark, but it was like i was trying to pass through something but couldn’t, so i went back to the bottom of the stairs, and did the same thing, but this time i like passes through i guess. Then it was weird, i heard all the wierd noises like space noises and stuff, which i read about haveing to do with oobe’s. and my mind was concious, but my body wasn’t, i tried to go somewhere like a dream, but i didn’t want to, i was scared i was going to end up in a nightmare or something, so i was just sitting there in this drkness, hearing these noises, not able to move, and i woke up on purpose.

I was thinking sleep paralsys, but i’ve had that and it was a lot different. Was it an ld or what?

Hello Blitz,

It might be SP. The things you describe are quite common and nothing to be afraid of. Noises and scary feelings included! These things ‘just’ seem to happen when we fall asleep (conscious) and/or in SP. Also you dont need to worry about OBE’s since these are really more or less the same as a LD.

On a sidenote, you write that your body wasn’t conscious. I guess you mean it the other way around, you were not conscious of your (physical) body?

Well, I’ve had sleep paralasys many times, and I don’t think that was what it was, because I was hearing the noises and such. And when I get sleep paralasys I can hear whats going on around me. I don’t know though. Oh and it’s not that I was scared of it, I just was scared it was a dream and I was going to go into some bad nightmare or something. Which was odd because I never would get scared at that any other time.

About the sidenote. I was fully concious of my body, but I couldn’t move it. Another reason for SP, but I snapped out of it right when I wanted to, and with SP, I could never get out of it when I wanted to. It would always scare me.

There’s a first time for everyhting, even for voluntary SP exit. And as i said, noises are common in SP. You can use this stage to induce a LD by imagining that you roll out of your body (this causes an ‘OBE’ but as this is a LD you can then go anywhere).

Hi
Ihave just started trying to have lucid dreams (i’ve had a few in the past but not through trying) I was trying the WILD method last night and this happened:-

I had done the relaxing techniques. I was lying in bed thinking “I am giong to go to sleep, I am going to have a lucid dream and remember it”. I then visualised myself remembering it. I started counting, with every breath I counted “1 I am dreaming, I am going to have a lucind dream” as I was doing this I started to feel heavy and warm and couldn’t feel anything below my neck exept a nice, soft warmth, I felt like I was spinning round. I dont know if I could move I was going to try but didn’t want too. I felt like I kept nearly getting to the dream world, I kept seeing visions of things in my head but couldn’t focus on them. As soon as I started to see something clearly it would fade as I realised that I was getting to the dream world. After watching the images in my head for a bit I realised there was boy watching me and smiling. He was right on front of front of me but i didn’t see him before but i knew he had been there from the start. I still didn’t feel like I was properly dreaming as the rest of what I could see was still just what you see when you close your eyes and I didn’t have any form but I also didn’t feel like I was awake. The boy dissapeared and I cant remember what happed after that. During this time my mind was still concious.

Im not really sure what this was or if I did go into a lucid dream but just can’t remember. Or was this a lucid dream?

Such stuff happens to people who lucid dream. It might already have been a LD, or perhaps HI or somewhere in between probably. Certainly whendoing WILD such experiences are plenty for most of us.

This was kinda the reason I signed up for the forum/started looking for sites about LD etc… So here goes:

Today I was screwing around on Wikipedia, reading about Freud. This led me to articles about the subconscious, and eventually lucid dreaming.
I’d heard of the topic in passing before, and thought it had been an interesting idea, and definitely something possible.
Reading an example that mentioned “breathing through fingers”, instantly made me remember a dream I had many years ago, at the age of maybe 7.
The dream was notable for two reasons, but I’ll start with detailing what it was:
When I was at whatever age I was when I had this dream, we used to go to the school nearby that had a swimming pool. I went to this school after I left the school that I was at at the age of 7 or whatever it was. It may have been 8 or something, I don’t know.
Anyway, in the dream, I was in the swimming pool, swimming around with friends, and me and one of my friends were diving around under the water blowing bubbles.
At this point I had no idea it was a dream.
We began to blow exceptionally large bubbles, that were just sort of pockets of air in the water, about the size of basketballs. We found that by sticking our mouths in them, we could talk under water.
Something that should be noted is that during the dream I never had to surface for air, I was under the water for quite a few minutes, and I exhaled often to blow the bubbles.
Anyway, we were talking to each other underwater, and as I was putting my head into what was maybe my third air pocket, a sudden thought hit me.
“Dream!”
I realised this wasn’t just some cool thing, that this was impossible, and I was dreaming. Rather than just sitting there and waking up a millisecond after like I had in other instances of similar situations, I just became excited and felt far more. I don’t know the word, but it sort of felt like I was the one who was more realistic, and this sort of revolved around me.
Anyway, now, instead of watching and talking calmly with my friend, I now cried out “Woah!” into the bubble, looked around excitedly at my friend, grinned at him, and woke up.
I remember this dream in it’s full entirety, beginning to finish, all the details. I remember no other dream like this.
My friends and I often used to try to talk to each other in real life underwater after I told them about it, but to no avail. :happy:

The detail in this dream, and the amazing experience of actually FEELING underwater, rather than just seeing myself being underwater, made this outstanding from other dreams.

Was this a lucid dream, or did I just think I had control when I really didn’t because I knew it was real?

P.S: I used to have really long, detailed dreams. Now I can never remember any, I haven’t been able to remember one in the last 3 years. How come?

P.P.S: I hope I used all the right terminology in this. If I said something really stupid it’s because I didn’t know what the dream-slang word meant :razz:

Hey StrangeOrangeBox, welcome to the forum.

This means that you realized it was a dream, so, yes, it was a LD. For dreamrecall I would advise to read carefully on the site, there are a lot of tips on how to improve that. Also in the “Lucidity Intro” part of the forum are some sticky topics, one of which deals with dream recall. I suggest you do your research. Good luck :smile:

After reading all this stuff about LDing, I decided to give it a try. Before going to sleep I repeated to myself “I will be lucid in my dream and I’ll remember it in the morning.” I woke up a few times that night and did the same thing every time before going back to sleep. There’s only one dream I can remember right now. I was a 30 year old guy with long hair but I am 17 and have short hair IRL. I was reading a poem. I can remember it was very stupid and funny. Then a cop told me that I couldn’t park there and I had to move my car. I don’t know where that car came from. I said ok and got in the car. Suddenly I was 17 with short hair like IRL and the car turned into a taxi, driven by my school bus driver. At the seat next to him was sitting a guy from a tv show here in Turkey. We were going very fast on the highway and I thought “Wouldn’t it be cool if this was a dream and we could go through all these cars?” The driver looked at me and with a grin on his face started driving towards a car. I remember closing my eyes and thinking I was gonna die but nothing happened. I just heard a woosh sound and the driver said “You guys saw what I did in there?” and suddenly another backseat appeared behind me and two boys from my class were sitting in there. Then we were off the road and going through trees and stuff. I FINALLY realized it was a dream and looked at my hand. I had seven fingers! Everything became more vivid and clear. I looked around and then back at my hand and now I had six fingers. I was excited but tried to stay calm because I didn’t want to lose lucidity or wake up. But I was desperate to change something so I started pushing the ceiling hoping to turn the taxi into a convertable. Then BAM I woke up. I tried going back to sleep but it didn’t work as I had been sleeping for over 10 hours. I was very excited when I woke up but then it felt like just another dream. Like I wasn’t lucid at all and it was a ND. It was very vivid and I can remember it better than any dream I’ve ever had but trying to turn the taxi into a convertable doesn’t sound like something I would actually do. I mean, I would at least try to fly or something. And when I looked at my hands, they weren’t really my hands. They were very hairy and fingers were thinner and longer. It felt very real at the time, like no other dream but after waking up it felt like a ND. :uh: