The BIG "Was this a LD?" Topic

It was definitely a lucid dream. You knew that you were dreaming … and managed to alter your lucidity). During lucid dreams, especially low level ones you can be limited in what you can do by your own expectations.

good stuff :smile:

Hello
I have just had another LD (I think) and it was quite weird. In this dream I was a lot smaller than I am I think. It started when I was in my kitchen and I around and I think I saw an image of my cat who is now dead. At this moment I started to question the reality of the situation and suddenly I said to my self “This is a dream” after this I moved my head around to see my house in dream form I also decided to look at my fingers as I remembered something on a website that said u have more or less than 5 fingers in dreams and I was amazed to find that they were different-I think I had at least 3 extra fingers per hand which looked like reflections of my other fingers-amazing. I was also saying-or even singing-“I am in a lucid dream!, i am in a lucid dream!” and I tried to touch a few objects. I tried to move from my position in the kitchen but I had a bid of difficulty at first but then managed to move but I am not exactly sure how I did-e.g. if I walked, floated etc. Shortly after I moved out of the kitchen I woke up. So is this definiatly an LD then?
all the besr Luke

I think I had my 1st LD about 4nights ago, but it only lasted about 5secs but I remember that I was with my brother and he was shouting at me and I grabbed my nose and found that I could breathe through it thus realising it was a dream! So then I looked away and said when I look back there will be a nice blonde girl there and low and behold she was, but then I woke up!

Now it gets better last night I had a dream and I am sure it was lucid; Basically I was in my flat and ‘Morpheus’ (from the matrix) was there and he gave me 2 pills and some water I took them and thought ’ hold on, why the hell is morpheus in my flat!?’ and it clicked I was dreaming.

Unlike before I didnt wake up so I felt excited but cuatious not to over excite my self, so I was calm and found I could basically ‘will’ anything to happen (eg I turned on my CD player without being near it and requested a specific song, and it actually started to play, it was a little different to how it really sounds but hey nevermind!).

I walked through my hall and thought 'I don’t wanna be here ’ and I stumbled into a classroom full of rude little kids , but I proceeded to tell them all that they werent real and were part of my dream! Thier teacher asked me to leave and I did (I thought there has to be better things to do with my dream!)

Now this is what I found the most interesting I was in an empty corridor and I willed it to be full of people, and it filled up with people just walking around, I was walking behind a women who didnt seem to notice me, which I didnt like (she was pretty!)so again I willed her to turn and look at me and take an interest (i remember it took 2 go’s to actually make her turn around!) and she did, she took me to an empty class room and kissed me (edited verison! :wink: ) but I was soon bored and wanted to do other things but I soon woke up to my damned alarm clock!

What I find hard to believe is that I went from having a 5 second LD (4days after learning about LDing) and in 4 days I have another one but it lasts ages, I kinda thought it might be a gradually learning curve!! But man are these LDs the best thing ever!

Could someone just confirm that these things are LDs and the things in them were normal (eg making people appear with my mind!?)

Any ways sorry for the long post I am just kinda’ excited.
Thanks
adam

hello lukemc, it definitely sounds like a LD to me since you say that

so you were fully aware that you were dreaming :happy:
congratulations on your LD

:wave: Welcome to ld4all zosotatt
yes they were LD and the things you did were normal in a LD.
You should read the “favourite things to do in a LD” topic (which you can find in the quest for lucidity forum) to give you ideas for your future dreams. It always helps to have a mental list of what you want to do in your next LD. :grin:

Is a dream lucid if you can’t really remember if you knew it was a dream, yet you have this slight nagging feeling that it was?

I don’t think so. It happens that in some dreams, you’re more conscious and present than in ND’s, but you don’t really know you’re dreaming : I would call these dreams “pre-lucid dreams”.

Hahaha… that made me laugh :cool_laugh: … at least you got humor :wink:

In my experience as a lucid dreamer, I had 4 kinds of LDs ( yeah I can put them into categories :happy: )

1. I got lucid, but I got excited and I woke up or I lost it quick and the dream just continued with its normal flow

2. Got lucid but couldn’t control the dreaming … and having no ideea what to do

3. Lucid and in control. Doing experiences like smelling flowers or tasting stuff to see if it has taste, flying as fast as possible, talking to people about dreams, answering the phone, sex :happy: etc etc. More than 90 % of my dreams are like that

4. Dreams that were MORE vivid than the reality itself. Actually I wouldn’t call them dreams, it seemed like another dimension. My thoughts were clearer than in waking life and I was amazed by the details.

I had my first “official” LD the other night, and I wasn’t really trying! I woke up for a moment around 3:30 am, realized I had been dreaming, and put myself beack into the dream. The last time I tried this, I stopped being lucid after a few seconds. This time it lasted a lot longer. It was probably two separate dreams, since I highly doubt one dream would last four hours.

I tried to do stuff like flying, but the closest I could get was hovering a little. And in another part of the dream, some guy pissed me off, so I said “This is a dream, you idiot!” or something like that before proceeding to kick his butt.

The dream was basically a bunch of fragments all in the same environment(my school) and it was pretty much a normal dream. I would put it in #2 of proka_ro’s categories. I’ve had a couple that were like #1, but in this dream I maintained my lucidity, whivch was cool.

Also, towards the end, I felt like I was two people, the me in bed and the me in the dream. Is this normal?

Well done Nite :cool:.

looks at proka_ro’s numero four type
opens mouth
decides this isn’t the place for such a discussion :wink:
closes mouth

Yep that’s common, it means you are feeling both your dream and your physical body at the same time.

Congrats for your 1st LD, Niteowl!

Absolutely normal. In order to make your dream last longer, you can try to rub your hands (with your “dream me”, of course! :wink: )

I have to ask a big “is this lucid dreaming” question. I never bothered to think about it much before, but it’s been really bugging me lately. I don’t think I need to give a specific example as such, because all my dreams are pretty much in the same sort of category.

I want to know (from the experts - you!) if you think my dreams are lucid. I always used to assume they weren’t, but I’ve been wondering recently if perhaps they are after all.

Here are the facts:

• I always remember my dreams very clearly immediately after I wake up.

• I always know subconsciously that I’m dreaming - but not consciously. I have never thought to myself “hey, I’m dreaming”. I just know it in the back of my mind already. (Edit: After reading previous posts, I think I should clarify - I know this for sure. It’s just not conscious, that’s all.)

• All those things lucid dreamers are supposed to be able to do, I do already in my normal dreams. Seriously, a LOT. Magic and flying are the most common, and happen in almost every dream of mine. This does vary according to the dream, however. I actually have a pretty high level of control over my own actions and things in general, but again, I don’t think about it in the context of a dream.

• I don’t have any “techniques” to fly, teleport or do other things. I just do them without thinking about it, very easily. The best explanation I have is that it’s like how when you get up to go to the kitchen in real life, you don’t think “bend my knees, put left leg forward, put right leg forward” - you just walk instinctively. You don’t actually say to yourself: “I’m going to try and walk now.” The same goes for my dreams.

• I have never had a nightmare in my life. Sometimes I dream about monsters or being chased, but I always end up turning the situation to my advantage (and often find it quite exciting in the meantime!). I do this deliberately, but not very consciously. If something impedes me, I deliberately find a way to get around it, but that could just be due to my personality, I don’t know.

• Sometimes I’m more aware of my control than at other times (for example, sometimes I “rewind” my dreams to a certain point, and it’s pretty hard not to significantly notice that), but even then I never think to myself that I’m in a dream.

The reason I’m asking is because just a couple of days ago I dreamt a particular dream in which I honestly thought I was awake and the whole thing was real (even though it was dissimilar to real life). When I woke up quite suddenly, I totally freaked out because I’d thought I was already awake before! It was pretty scary because, as I’ve said, I usually subconsciously know my dreams aren’t real when I’m having them. This was a first for me, whatever it was.

Then I remembered that non-lucid dreamers are supposed to think their dreams are real when they aren’t, and this sounded awfully similar to what just happened to me. But if that was an example of really not being lucid, then what were all my other dreams classified as?

Please help, I’m very confused.

Hi Stormthunder!
You don’t have to be confused. It’s well known that you can control your dream without being lucid. This is an excerpt of the Lucidity Institute FAQ :

Moreover, a poor lucidity often gives the opportunity of making things you could hardly do when highly lucid, because a high lucidity often implies all the constraints of the rational mind.
So, your experience is normal. I woudn’t say rather common, but it’s a fact that a lot of people (mainly girls, it seems) can easily control their dreams, though they are not lucid.

As you said that you subconsciouly know you’re dreaming, this type of dreams are called “pre-lucid dreams”. If you feel that you’re present in your dreams, they can be called “conscious dreams”.

Phew! Okay, I’m a lot less confused now. :smile: Thanks for explaining it!

Hi, I’m a newb, just introduced myself on the intro bit. I have to ask a question, sorry if im in the wrong bit, or repeating. I’ve had a look around, but if its here, ive missed it!

When I was little, I would have a recurring dream about a walnut (I know…strange child) that would grow in size and threaten (not verbally) to engulf me. Anyway, I was terrified by these dreams, really petrified, and what always happened as I was waking from them was, I heard voices. The voices were muffled, so I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying, but I KNEW they were saying something scary about my impending doom or something. I only ever heard the voices with the walnut dream. But the weird thing was, after I woke, the voices remained. Like noisy chatter, only muffled. I would get up, walk about, go get in mums bed, and they remained.

So I wanted to ask, was I still dreaming? Or sleepwalking while dreaming, but lucid? I’m confused about it. I heard that with sleep paralysis you can hear voices, but I was never paralysed.

This occurrence stopped when I was about 9, but once, when I was 15, I was really ill with stomach flu, and I drifted in and out of sleep for about a day and night, and upon waking, I got the voices again.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or maybe throw a few theories my way? It has always baffled me.

Thanks for listening

Liz xx

Hi sleepeejane, welcome to the forum.

What happened most likely is that after waking up, you did not become really 100% fully awake. In this dreamy semi-wakefullness you can still have some after effects of the REM-stage (like, seeing visuals or hearing sounds, I believe these are called “hypnopompic images/sounds”). This is pretty common, and probably could be more common even for children. I dont think you were sleepwalking really, since you knew you were awake at the time, walking to your parents bedroom.

You’re right Xetrov. I don’t think they are really very common (I’ve had them just twice), but I’ve been told that children can have them during a long time after they wake up (up to 30 minutes! :eek:).

Oh and welcome to the forum, sleepeejane! :wave:

Hypnopompic…thats great, I didn’t even know it happened often enough to have a name! Its the weirdest thing, I felt really odd when it happened, and thought I had some kind of mental problem!!! The mind is so amazing!

Still learning!

Oh and thanks for the welcome :grin:

Liz xx