The BIG WBTB Topic - Part II

I can say it’s a very good method but there’s a problem in me.If i manage to wake up i remember my dreams.The problem is that i can’t wake up easily,i usually don’t wake up even if i have set two alarm clocks.I usually turn side and keep sleeping or just wake up without thinking anything close the alarm clocks and go back to sleep.Any suggetsion??? :grin:

I have a possible solution, but you won’t like it if you’re into going out late at night and drinking.

However, if you are interested, my advice would be this:
Go to bed and get up at exactly the same time every night, even weekends. I do this, which works fine for me, simply because I don’t drink alchohol and I’m really into the daytime and being outdoors.

I have to get up at 6am every weekday for work, so I still get up at that time on Weekends too. Sounds crazy? Well, your body clock will definately think it’s a good idea!

The reason I say this, is because when I recently set my alarm at 3am to try WBTB, and then didn’t set it the following night, I still woke up at 3am because my body was expecting me to at that precise time, because my body clock is so much in rhythm.

Like I said, this approach will be unpopular with those who who like staying out late at weekends.

:smile:

Ed.

I can say that i’ve thought of it,and i also tried to do it.But there’s a problem I’m a university student :grin: so my life goes that way.Wake up in the morning,go to uni,and the night go mad-not club or smthng,just drinking a couple of drinks or sleep early in the MORNING :tongue: :shy: -.I’ve tested it,and yes it does work somehow.Thnx for the advice anyway,when i start to have a more normal life i’ll use it and that’s for sure…

You could try autosuggestion. When you’re going to sleep you say to yourself that you will wake up at … (time you want to wake up)

You could also buy a very annoying alarm clock, put it on the other side of the room so you will have to go and put the alarm clock out. Or make your alarm clock that if it goes off you get water on you or something like that :tongue:

By the way, just in case anyone might be interested: I use a vibrating watch to wake myself up.

I first bought a vibrating watch when I used to be a postman, because often I would have to go to bed really early, and I’d have to wear earplugs so that people didn’t keep me awake, and so the vibrating watch is to wake me up even if I can’t hear anything.

These days I find I actually prefer waking up to the vibration, as opposed to a normal alarm clock. There’s less of a panic feeling. It seams more natural somehow. Also, the other great thing is, this particular new watch I’ve got has got two alarms on it, so I can permenantly have it set to both 3am AND 6am!

:happy:

Ed

I tried WBTB last night, without success.

I got up, read this website for about 40 minutes, and then got back into bed. It seamed to take me ages to fall back to sleep though. I’m wondering whether a different version of WBTB might be best for me, so that I can get back to sleep.

The idea I thought of today (which I will try tonight) is:

• Get up
  • Go to the bathroom
  • Spend a few minutes doing some reality checks
  • Go back to bed
  • Read LD book with low-wattage bulb until falling asleep
    I read somewhere that bright reading lights can keep you awake, so I have this special dim 15 watt bulb in my reading light near my bed, and I find I dose off really quickly when reading with that. It’s just bright enough for me to see the text, but without keeping me awake.

I don’t want to be spending over an hour getting back to sleep after half an hour sat at the computer. I’ll lose out on loads of sleep, and end up really tired.

I’ll try this new variation tonight and see what happens. If I can get back to sleep without any trouble, then it might be just a case of persistence in order to get lucid.

Ed.
Floating in a Shiny Orb of Joy

You should try a little bit of autosuggestion before falling asleep. WBTB alone could work, but it’s not a standalone technique, in my opinion.

Today I was reading about WILD in EWLD, and despite what I said before about it, I’m really tempted to try WILD again, by focussing on the hypnogogic imagery or counting.

Oh well, at least the one consistent thing is that I’m waking up at 3am every night and trying something.

That’s great. I could do with some of your motivation :tongue:

Okay, I still haven’t managed to get lucid again yet with my recent efforts, but here are some thoughts on what I have tried.

Best way to wake up in the night:
Drinking lots of water before bed. This definately works the best, because this way I naturally wake up during REM sleep, rather than just guessing with setting an alarm. Lately, I’ve found that if I drink about a pint of water before I go to sleep at night, it wakes me up at about 3:30am

Staying up for 30 minutes or more:
This seams wrong to me, because I then find it difficult to get back to sleep afterwards, and then in the morning I don’t feel like I’ve had enough sleep.

WILD:
I have tried this several times lately, and I just can’t stay concious whilst falling asleep! I can count to 100 several times, or lose count and get part way there, but eventually I just fall asleep.

MILD
I remember that I did used to have my own version of this, which I think did work a couple of times when I tried it a couple of years ago. I’ve tried it recently and it hasn’t worked though.

WBTB & earplugs technique
I was reading back over some old posts of mine, and there was another technique which seamed to work a few times, or at least they got me close to it. What I did was, woke up in the night, read the forum for 30 minutes or so, and then went back to bed with earplugs in (to make sure nothing distracted me), and although it took a while to get back to sleep, I remember having some lucid moments doing that.

But I’m a bit confused now, because I’m not totally sure what technique to keep going with. I know that waking up in the night gives me my best chances, and that staying up for a while is good too, but I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m not getting enough sleep.

Any ideas? Should I just pick one of these and keep going with it until it eventually works, or should I keep searching for slight variations until I find one that shows more potential for me? Or should I scrap the waking-up thing and spend more time reality checking before bedtime?

It’s a constant problem for me, either I’m too tired to remain in control, or I’m too awake to go back to sleep.

Hey, I’ve just had an idea! :happy:

What about a change in sleeping position during the second part of my sleep? I’m sure I’ve seen this discussed prviously somewhere on here.

My idea:
To be sat up in bed, or have my head propped up with a large pillow. The change in posture might cause me to remain more conscious.

Variations on this idea…

Variation 1
After having woken up, read LD book on low wattage bulb until falling asleep again, then turn off light to go to sleep, but remain in propped-up position.

Variation 2
Same as 1, but then leave light on instead of turning it off.

Variation 3
Instead of reading a book, focus on an object in the room. The low wattage bulb will alow me to be able to see, but it won’t keep me awake.

Variation 3b
In addition to variation 3, I could convince myself that as soon as I am no longer looking at that chosen object, I must be dreaming. So, I will focus on the chosen object, with this thought in mind, and then suddenly if I find myself with a different image in front of my eyes, I’ll know that it’s a product of my mind.

Variation 4 (3b + 2)
Read book on low wattage bulb whilst simultaneously telling myself that once I am no longer looking at the book then I am dreaming. Try really hard to keep reading the book even when begining to fall asleep. Hopefully, I should then get to a point where I can no longer keep my eyes open no matter how hard I try, yet I’m still partly conscious. I’m hoping this will somehow lead me into a WILD state. Bear in mind, the book will probably be EWLD, and probably the section about WILDs, so this could have real posibilities.

Notes:

Previous experiences have shown me that when I read until sleepy, I often do get into a state where I cannot keep my eyes open any longer yet I am still conscious about what’s going on. I usually use this last remaining strand of consciousness to enable me to put the book down, turn off the light and lie down ready for sleep. My theory is, what would happen if I didn’t break that state, if I was to let it just ride onwards, where would it go?

With regards to the variations without the book: I have often found in the past, that staring at an object in the room for a long time causes your state of mind to change, you kind of go into a mini trance. If this was combined with low level lighting, then could I straddle the border between consciousness and unconsciousness?

Any thoughts on the above methods would be very much appreciated.

Ed.

Gonna try 3b tonight !
With my WBTB !

Thanks !

:happy:

Let me know how you get on!

Yeah,3b is a pretty good idea.I’ll try it tonight if i remember it although i don’t have the ability to wake up so easily. :shy:

P.S:for the ones that use mobile,it would be pretty good if you put a message on the background just to remember to do things.I just like it and i’ll use it from now on.

I tired it but I think i fell asleep dreaming that I tried it , and not fell asleep again ! :sad:
New try tonight ! :thumbs:

Whats up dreamers?

I tried the WBTB method for the first time last night. I think i may have been lucid (my recall is too hazy). I had a crazy dream that some gangster was bashing on my front door. So immediately i grabbed a metal pole and ran to the door, opened it and smashed him on the skull (first hint of lucidity as i wouldnt react that quickly IRL) but then he seemed unaffected, grabbed the pole of me and chased me into the house. I jumped over the kitchen counter, grabbing a knife as i did. i turned around and jammed it into his chest. Again, unaffected! He seemed to be a really poor fighter because it was easy to block all his attempts at hitting me.

I stabbed him at least 5 times with no effect, so i jammed it into his neck, then yanked the knife up and down until his head came off (very bloody) (This is another hint of lucidity as my focus on one task was weird, and i seemed to have a care-free, calmness about the intense situation. I have never experienced this before. Also, as i was stabbing him, the backround seemed to go out of focus, change colour and swirl…trippy) I then just ran out to get the rest of his buddies that were waiting outside, but they ran away. Thats all i remember before waking.

Any comments on how lucid this seemed would be sick, i hope im getting closer to LD’s.

-Cheers.

Hey, yesterday I remembered another WBTB-related method that I have tried before, but which will be more affective if I use my dim light.

It involves lying on your side and counting the fingers on your hand. Leave your hand there and close your eyes again, but then try to remember to do it again a short while later. Keep doing this every few minutes, as you gradually become more and more sleepy.

I remember trying this a couple of years ago whilst lying in the dark, and could only just see my fingers. Now, with my dim light, this should work perfectly if I practice it enough!

I tried it last night, and although I didn’t go lucid, I did have a vivid dream that I remember bits of. It seams like a nice easy method really, because you just lie in the same position and just try to keep remembering to open your eyes and count your fingers. The plan is, hopefully if you do it enough times before you get too sleepy, you will then be stuck in that pattern of doing it as you get more sleepy, and then eventually you’ll be looking at your dream hand and it will have the wrong number of fingers.

I think I’ll try that :smile: I use the hand RC a lot.

Since putting the clocks back the other day, I keep automatically waking up an hour early, which i don’t really like on work days. But it’s given me a few extra vivid dreams :tongue:

Ive done autosuggestion for WBTB some time now . BUT I never think that I have slept while waking up. I just roll over and think that it is time to fall asleep . "Oh my I am going to get sleepy tomorrow ! :cry: ".............. And after some time I go like "hey ! that was a dream wasnt it ?, I have slept ! …"and see my phone and understand it.
This night were I going to write down my dreams and after having finished that , I were so awake that I couldn`t sleep in a long time !

Any tips ?

i wanted to try WBTB last night and went to sleep at 11PM…
too bad i couldnt sleep till like 1:30AM and then… well my alarm clock woke me up at 5AM and i just didnt have the energy to get up so i continued till 7AM and got up for school then.
no dream recall either D: