the big WILD topic part III

It seems whenever I try to do a WILD, I just end up getting really close over and over again, before finally getting bored and falling asleep. I will sit there for a few moments saying something, 1 - ‘catchphrase1’ - 2 - ‘catchphrase2’ - 3… Then I my vision appears to be going darker and darker and even still darker closing to a pin of pure black, and I get this falling feeling, my pulse quickens and within a few seconds it all starts to reverse… once I calm down again it all happens again, I can usually only get it to do that twice… then I give up.
Any ideas?
John C.

John:

This happens to most people because they tend to focus on what they are feeling rather than entering a dream. At the point where everything goes dark, and you can feel a tingling all through your body you need to really concentrate on a scene in your imagination. Obviously, it’s not easy if you’re inexperienced. It’s hard to ignore the strange sensations you are feeling and often you’ll get too excited.

You need to really focus on what you are seeing in your imagination. Try to really feel where you are, and see all the little details in the scene. If you keep busy by doing this, you won’t notice yourself actually falling asleep until suddenly you’re in a dream. Clearly it’s not as easy as I may make it sound, but with practise you’ll get there.

Keey trying :smile:

Jeff: That is amazing! I always wondered what would happen if you meditate within a LD. You must be real dedicated and disciplined to meditate for 2 hours. You could write a book about your method. I would read it for sure. Well my question; does it make a difference at what age you start to practice meditation and does age affect performance?

Atheist, I have been partially successful with my method of setting the bio-clock to awake me briefly, but I haven’t exactly kept up with my schedule. During school I managed to fully awake minutes before the alarm would go off, and this is to prove the accuracy of it. It also helps to have a real loud and annoying alarm, because when I changed it to radio I would sleep through the first 10 minutes of news and wake up fully up-to date…come to think of it, maybe this is what I need to use to set my bio-clock. I usually anticipate that noise going off and I keep it in mind while going to sleep. However, I don’t always have the willpower to attempt this every night, bringing me to my next question;
does WILD only work with WBTB or can I actually try it after a brief awakening? Every attempt so far I drifted off to sleep unconsciously. I either lost concentration, or I became frustrated unable to fall asleep due to WILD. Out of the few WBTB attemts, I did have one WILD. Any suggestions?

Pilot:

You certainly can be successful with WILD after a brief awakening. In fact, I usually only stay awake for up to 10 minutes before going back to sleep, and I rarely get out of bed. This may not suit some people though, as it’s usually extremely easy to fall asleep after just waking up. So easy in fact, that you can often be unconscious before you even remember to try WILD. :wink:

To be honest, if I had the time I’d probably try a lengthy WBTB each night, with a half-hour period of reading “Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming” (Which I finally got :cool: ) before going back to sleep. This has the effect of filling the mind with thoughts of Lucid Dreaming, which you have a good chance of dreaming about upon returning to sleep.

Come to think of it, I probably could find time to try this now. We have just finished a rather large project at work, so that means I can actually return to the usual human sleeping times. I’ll let you know how it goes. :smile:

um aithiest,…henry ford said that (your signature quote)

He did? Better fix that up then. Thanks ben. :smile:

Time for part IV :grin:

this way please:
ld4all.com/archive0205/viewtopic.php?t=1582