The Maths Topic

Transcendental property of equality: if a=b and b=c, then a=c. That .999…=x was given. From that I proved that x=1. Thus, since .999…=x=1, .999…=1.

Can anyone here explain how the delta-epsilon definition of a limit applies when the limit is infinity? I tried doing it, but everything went kablooie.

Okay, I get that…I wasn’t thinking. I am, however, still confused on this:

I only see x on the left side?

Oh, and delta-epsilon definition - is that:

lim f(x) = L
x > c

= goes to

alright, lambda calculus and combinatory logic. anyone else kinda drools every time they realise once again how exactly the Y combinator works?

Right side is 9.999…
X=0.999…
9.999…-X=9.999…-0.999…=9.

I admit that it’s not at all obvious that that’s allowed.

And for the limit, thanks, but that’s not exactly what I was looking for.

I know. :content: I was trying to confirm that what I posted is the delta-epsilon “version” of the limit.

The delta epsilon definition says that “the limit as x approaches c of f(x)=L” means that for any epsilon (e) > 0, there is a delta (d) > 0 such that if 0<|x-c|<d, then |f(x)-L| < e.

I need help! :tongue:

Probability

1. You have a deck of cards (52 cards), and pick three.
    What’s the probability to pick 3 different colors?

2. A family has 4 kids.
    What’s the probability that there are 2 boys?
    (By the way: P(boy) = 0.516), and P(girl) = 0.486)

I know the answeres, but not how to calculate it :confused:

A straight deck of 52 cards is four sets of 13 cards each. You make a first pick at random, taking one card away from the set you picked a card from: (13 + 13 + 13 + 13) = 52

(13 + 13 + 13 + 12) = 51. So now the chance that you get a different set is the sum of cards in the three remaining sets, over the sum of possible cards: (313)/51. This also changes the number of cards: (13 + 13 + 12 + 12) = 50. So for our last draw, the chances are: (213)/50. The total probability is: (313)(213)/(51*50).

Does that help?

Thanks Bruno, but it’s wrong :sad:
In the book the solution is:

1. 39.8 % chance to get three different colors.
  2. 37.4 % chance that there’s two boys in the family.

It was a good try.

Bruno’s answer was (313)(213)/(51*50) ant it’s 0.3976 which rounds to 39,8%, so it’s correct.

Probability of two boys is (4!/(2!2!))P(boy)^2P(girl)^2 (that’s because there will be two boys and two girls, hence P(boy)^2P(girl)^2, and there are 6 ways (4!/(2!2!)) that give 2 boys and 2 girls - for example the first two are boys, the second two are girls, or the first one is a boy, then 2 girls, then one boy etc.)
With your data P(boy)+P(girl)=1.002 which is not good, so I’ll assume P(boy)=0.514. Then P(2 boys) = 6
0.514^2*0.486^2 = 0.3744 = about 37.4%

Well then, it’s right! :lol:

(313)(213)/(51*50) = 0.3976… = 39.8%.

Hahaha, I’m so stupid. Must have pressed something wrong on the calculator. :lol:
And yes, P(boy) = 0.514, and not 0.516.

Thank you so much for the help Bruno and Fizyk :colgate:

WHAT!!! How do you pass Math I failed 3 years and counting…

WOW! A topic where you can get help with math? :happy: Oh wait, I think I already knew about this, but I probably dismissed it as nerdy. :tongue:

any of you good with calculus? I’m gonna start asking questions in here. :grin:

anti-derivatives, u-substitution, and :uh:

I totally forgot what I was doing in math since I’ve had the last week off! :lol:

Ask away. I, at the least, can assist.

So I just saw the proof of Euler’s formula (e^(pi*i)+1=0). It’s beautiful. I almost drooled.

The proof of what? Ugh I can’t read this topic I actually get a hedache…

That e^(pi*i)+1=0, where e is Euler’s number, being the base of the natural log, approximately 2.718, pi is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter, approximately 3.14159, and i is the square root of -1, an imaginary number.

This, by the way, is exactly why we need proofs. No one would believe it otherwise.

Dude… you are aware that Led Zeppelin made intense use of — yes, you guessed it — Maths, in the process of composing their albums. Right?