The Maths Topic

No. Are you sure about that?

Well, I am, but I don’t mean to say they wrote their scores using calculators and formulas (like the guys from Dream Theater, rumor has it, do). But they made free use of formal systems and grammars and calculi and whatnot in the process of writing their songs. Their process was, supposedly, a very formal one.

[dream theater] DREAM THEATER?! John Petrucci is probably the best modern guitarist in the world, and he writes songs with a… calculator?! [/dream theater]
[led zeppelin] The members of Led Zeppelin were high 70% percent of the time they wrote their songs, and 15% of their lyrics are stolen from Willie Dixon and other Blues legends. So how could they use calculi and grammars being drunk/high most of the time? [/led zeppelin]
[off topic] Dream Theater should ditch James LaBrie… He can’t sing any more. They should try for Scott Weiland. [/off topic]

clearly you don’t know how to read a score, or much abour music theory anyhow.

totally agree, LaBrie is an anticlimax to an otherwise next-to-perfect metal band.

Music is math.

And math is awesome.

:grin:

Find the fault:

x + 5 = x
x - x = 5
x - x = -5
x = -5 - x
-x = 5 + x

• x - x = 5
    x + x = -5
    2x = -5

x = -2.5i

Does not follow.

Does not follow.

Does not follow.

One fault? Three. :tongue:

Actually, the whole proof can be disregarded as x+5=x is a false statement.

Dude. x + 5 = x alone does not follow! (And no, the infinity is not a number).

Subtract x from both sides.

Full of faults :razz:

Does not follow from what? In the refutation I assume that the premises are true, even though the premise doesn’t make any sense, because I reasoned purely deductively.

My bad.

It doesn’t follow real field axioms, nor Peano arithmetic, nor any intuitive notion one might have of arithmetic. Even statistically, that statement unjustified does not follow the axioms. You don’t assume 5 = 0 just because that’s the premise, that’s a one-step contradictio, a paradox.

Good point.

6+5x+4=30
10+5x=30
-10 -10
5x=20
5/20=4
x=4 yay! :woo:

annyone else wanna join in doing random math problems!?

i felt like doing another :tongue:

4(22)+2x-1=42
88+2x-1=42
87+2x=42
-87 -87
2x=(-45)
2/45=22.5
x=(-22.5) right??

1.Three men went to a hotel to rent a room, the cost of the room was $30. Each man paid $10 to the bellboy and proceeded to their room. After a little while the bellboy realized that there was a special on rooms that night and the price for the men’s room should have been $25. On his way to the men’s room to give them back $5, he was puzzled how he was going to split $5 as he had no change. He decided he would give them each $1 and keep the remaining $2 for himself. So each man originally paid $10, but after the bellboy gave each man $1 back, each man paid $9. 9 x 3 = $27 plus the $2 the bellboy put in his pocket equals $29. The original price for the room was $30. Where did the last dollar go?

2.How many 3 digit numbers have no repeated digits?

3.10. Every month, a girl gets allowance. Assume last year she had no money, and kept it up to now. Then she spends 1/2 of her money on clothes, then 1/3 of the remaining money on games, and then 1/4 of the remaining money on toys. After she bought all of that, she had $7777 left. Assuming she only gets money by allowance, how much money does she earn every month?

Those are some random math problems, tho the 1st one is…hard.

Also,
haha.nu/funny/funny-math/

I’ve done 1 before and 3 is easy so im gonna let someone else solve them.

wolframalpha.com is a really good site, just search for an equation and it will solve it :smile: yes you are right

Here you can train equations aswell, its too easy for me but you might like it: mathsnet.net/algebra/equation.html

5x = 3 = 5x + 4
x + 3 = x + 4
x = x + 1
Therefore,
|x| = Infinity

no its invalid :razz: if you search for it on wolframalpha it says False.

Well, The Maths Topic exists, but anyway…

Hraesvelg: The final dollar goes to pay the bills of staying.
25 dollars is the sum they paid to stay at the room. 2 dollars they paid to the bellboy.

Therefore, a total of 27 dollars was being paid by them. 27/3 = 9. You shouldn’t have added two to the sum they paid - Since they have already paid it!

But that is the riddle, of course…