The Reading Circle - discussion about books to read

rofl wolb

daylight: yes, the next host will be someone that has actively participated in the previous circle.

oh! just remembered a dream! :boogie:

I am both… i can be very mature in reading material, and many other things. But honestly, how serious am i? Although, i agree that some parents will ground children for reading explicit books. It could possibly be worse in my house, as they have problems with people saying the word “fart” and calling a toilet “the bog” but still, they are vbery open, and if i bring a book home from the library, theres no need to ask questions. Anyway, the younger the better. For example, i young child may misinterpret a paragraph of sexual content as something horrific happening to somebody. I will not state examples, as that may get me in trouble with mods, but that can happen, can it not?

I can still host later if I find some acceptable books and participate in a later moon’s circle, right?

Right :yes:
Just make part of the next circle and you can volunteer. [=

Ok. We need a new host and a new book. Volunteers?

Ok, I thought about volunteering myself later, but come to think of it, it will be nice to decide some aspects of the Circle before we continue.

So this moon there will be no reading circle. Based on the first one, I’d like you people to send some feedback and suggestions. I’d also appreciate if someone volunteered for the next moon, but if no–one does, I volunteer myself.

Should the circle still be a whole moon long?

How should the picking of books be? What if we decided next moon’s book a moon earlier, so everyone has plenty of time to get it?

What about the old topics? Are they going to be locked when the moon ends?

I think it should be flexible since sometimes it would take a while to get the book, some books are longer than others and life may be busy.
What if we decided next moon’s book a moon earlier, so everyone has plenty of time to get it?
I think this could be wrong since it could focus attention away from the current book.
I think old topics should be left open, so anyone who reads the book at a later date can give their views too. (but unstickied after the active discussion)

Like moogle said, sometimes it would take a while to get the book, some books are longer than others and life may be busy.

How should the picking of books be?
People should say which books they want to read in the circle in this topic. Though it’s not done a lot it should be. The host, or how you want to call it, should choose a few books out of those books and run a poll, or maybe even choose a book himself. If nobody has suggested a book the host need to think of one himself. (S)he can off course just say it in the topic too, and see what others think about it :content:

What if we decided next moon’s book a moon earlier, so everyone has plenty of time to get it?
I don’t like that, because people will get it earlier, but people might also read it earlier. And when they can finally say something about the book because the actual reading moon has come they forgot the most of what they wanted to say. If there’s run a poll, like it was done last time, people can already see which book it might become. And they can try to see where they could get that book, if it becomes the moon book.

What about the old topics? Are they going to be locked when the moon ends?
On the one hand I would say leave them unlocked, people can say good useful things about them all the time, but on the other hand I would say the piont of this reading circle is to read the books together. And if you leave them unlocked people might think they could react on it later and procrastinate in reading. And the point of the reading circle is gone; there’s also a Harry Potter tread, those reading treads would then be the same as that one.

How about deciding the next moon’s book like maybe a week earlier?

I like this idea the best, Bullseye, but we must have a list of books to vote before that, then…

Ok, something like start voting 2 weeks before moon, final decision 3 days before, the 25th of each moon.

Nice. Suggestions for books?

Do you know “the Venus of Ille” by Prosper Merimee? I find it to be one of the best fantastic short stories I know.

Kurt Vonnegut’s “Breakfast of Champions”

Voltaire’s “Candide”

JD Salinger’s “Catcher in the Rye”

Those are my suggestions. :content:

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

Doesn’t it have sexual content? :eh: I’m not sure of how explicit this book is… (I’m not sure of how explicit should be allowed in the circle… The bare mention of sex/violence should be a big no–no or—well, if not, how can we decide between which books to allow and which can’t go? This should be discussed and defined before the next Moon so that we don’t have to go through all that discussion every time someone suggests a book with explicit content…)

Well, here’s my idea for how to resolve this:
Take a vote amongst mods in the mod forum(:toilet: :razz: )
Take a vote amongst members.
The poll could be something like:
How much explicit content should be allowed in the books we read for the reading circle?
-none
-a little
-a moderate amount
-no limits

And majority rules.

No limits is already prohibited. And a moderate ammount, if I understand what you mean, is so too. We need to define what ‘a little’ explicit means, though.

I think the mods could discuss this, but I would define a moderate amount as slightly frequent swear words, and a few sex scenes and a few instances of drug use, as long as sex or drugs is not the subject of the book, or glorified.
I would define a little as a swear word here and there, mabye one no-so-hot sex scene and some drug mentions, but certianly not any drug content involving anything like heroin or those types of things. Mabye a few mentions of pot, alcohol, or psycheldellics used for religious purposes ONLY(like in many of Carlos Casteneda’s book).
And none, well none is none.

What?? From what I remember, theres only a small part where he fondles a girl against her will when he comes into her house, but shes not nude really, and he soon leaves afterwards. Thats the only sexual content I remember. Theres no violence either unless you count some self-destructive episodes, but nothing really like cutting or suicidal, I think just banging his head against the wall.

But I could check again…

Definetely little.

I do recall him bleeding in one part of the book, but everything physically violent he does to himself.