Was I Really Lucid?! [help!] (Reality check tattoo inside)

Hi,

I am new here!

I just wanted to keep this short, so I don’t bore anyone! :wiske:

I started reading about lucid dreaming a while back, but could never get it to work - but for the past week, I thought I’d try again … I started recording my dreams next to my bed, but most importantly…

I have been writing the letter A with a circle on it, on the back of my hand - I look at this all the time and do a reality check, if I can see the A in the circle, it means I am awake. I do this all the time, especially when I’m working out and running (as a lot of my dreams involve running).

I was in my dream, in which I was getting into some trouble at a family house, I decided to spree - and most of my dreams contain this - when I run it feels really heavy and slow and I can feel the struggle, like I’m running in really deep water.

I stopped and looked down at my hand (like I do in reality) and see the circle mark on my hand, but it didn’t contain the “A” I figured out, that I was dreaming and therefore I stopped running. I don’t know if this counts as lucid dreaming, but I couldn’t think fast or much but I wanted to try and control my dream (this was my thought) so I started flapping my arms like a bird, trying to fly, I kept doing this and jumping but I wouldn’t fly and I felt disappointed in my dream. I then saw a person I knew…and well, the rest is private :wink:

So the question is…Did I have a lucid dream? Or was I just dreaming about wanting to have a lucid dream?

What I have described…is that lucid dream? When I decided that I wanted to fly in my dream, why couldn’t I make it happen?

Also here is what I have on my hand everyday in reality! I think it works? I’m not sure…

[/img]

It was a lucid dream, congratulations. I’m surprised your Reality Check worked - It’s anything but fail proof. Just like the Fingers Through Palm RC, you can, in your dream, make it fail. I’d suggest sticking to the clock and nose one.

The lack of control (Why you couldn’t fly) is simply because of your low lucidity. What’s important is to let yourself know that “It’s a dream, I can do anything”.

Thank you so much for your reply…

Are you suggesting that the current reality check I am using is bad? I always check it, and I’ve tried the clock and it never works for me :sad: what is nose one?

Hey,
I see this is your first post. Welcome! :welcome:
This was probably a low level LD, but yes, it was definitely an LD. Congrats! :mrgreen_hat: :mrgreen_hat: . You realized you were dreaming so it was an LD.

As for not being able to fly, you might have to look at the flight techniques topic here or the difference between “Active” and “Passive” control topic here. Something that may also help is believing you can fly or think that in your pocket you have a pill that will let you fly. :smile:

Good luck on your quest,
Rich :smile:

P.S. I like your idea of the tattoo thingy, I might use a version of it myself :smile:

i really like the idea of the tattoo :smile:, but i guess most of my friends would ask me about it if i suddenlly have something like that^^

rcslaney - thank you, you should try it out…and thanks a lot for that info, I didn’t know there were two states. I’m more of a passive person than active heh… I hope I can change that.

binaryb0n3 - thank you! Yes, it’s not a real tattoo, I draw it on - but I might just get it down now that it means something! I’m going to try and formulate this into a method.

I guess all was answered already, only…nose RC is when you plug your nose and try to breath through it…in dreams it works, and it is by the way the best reality check in my opinion

but…excuse me but BLAMHONEY? I’m trying to think of other meanings blam honey could have but I see none…so…hi, fellow fan, I guess 8D

Well, see - A “tattoo” isn’t practical, like pinching your nose and trying to breathe. A “tattoo” is visual, which means that if you think you’ll see a round circle with the letter A inside, then that’s what you will see.

Well I could say the same for physical RC’s aswell. You expect not to be able to breath but you still do. You expect not to be able to poke your finger through your hand but you still can.

It worked once for him in his dream, so it will work again.

thanks for the hint to Blam Honey :smile: just love industrial and Rock and both together is unbelieveable!!!

btt: isn’t it the same with practical RCs? i thought if you think you couldn’t breath you really couldn’t and that’s the reason why you should always tell yourself that your dreaming befor Rcing :meh: at least that’s what i thought bear with me if i’m wrong :smile:

Yea that’s what I’m talking about in the post above ^^^^ your’s.

I definitely get what you mean. But see, you can’t try to breathe in your dream and at the same time Not breathe - Get what Im saying? Like, when you’re pinching your nose in the dream, there still isn’t anything blocking your nose IRL - So when you breathe out in the dream, you Will breathe out IRL.

@ rcslaney
The finger through palm RC works because you “Try” and you “Expect” to be able to push it through your palm. It requires No doubt - otherwise it will fail because if you dont believe it will work, it wont. Same with his RC. He need to be expecting an empty circle without the A every time he looks at it - Simply saying that “When I look at it in my dream the A will be missing” won’t work. I’d say he got lucky this time, and when he did the RC he already suspected being in a dream.

Welcome and grats on the LD! :grin:

I have to say I have had the nose RC fail. 99% of the times it’s what makes any other RC fail, I didn’t really question reality and/or didn’t really pay attention to the RC (example: a little air would pass but I’d think “oh, I’m just not pinching correctly” and then move on with the dream :lol:). I remember one or two times where I simply could not breathe. Not really sure why or how that happened, but it did happen.

BUT, I do agree with you, MovieMe. :smile: I find the nose RC is by far the most trustworthy for me. Any other RC might just work fine for you. The tattoo might work fine too. The thing is, these things tend to be a little less trustworthy. But maybe that is different for everyone, I don’t know.

I say, if you want to, stick with that RC :smile: since it already worked for you. But if in the long run it doesn’t pay off please change RC instead of giving up! :lol: The most important part of the RC is mental anyway, it’s the genuine questioning, the attention you put in the RC, etc. You might even want to double check to see if it changes. But, as MovieMe said, you should be careful not to get “used to it” and expect the A to be there or it just might appear in a dream…

Yes, exactly, but that is You failing, not the RC - Cos air is passing, you’re just not triggered :happy: This happens when you don’t Question your reality, which is the key part in any RC. Whenever you do it IRL you have to ask yourself “Is this a dream” - Because if it just becomes a blank habit it wont mean a squat if you’re able to breathe or not.
But I see we’re on the same page ^^

this. happened only twice to me but it was so…frustrating after waking up :"D
well I did find it weird that I could breathe a little but I didn’t do any other RC. I have to get used to doing at leats two RCs if the first one doesn’t tell me I’m dreaming…

I tried the method of drawing a circle with a letter inside it on the back of my hand and it worked for me. In the dream, as I was becoming suspicious of my surroundings, I checked the drawing and it had turned into a peace symbol. At first I was about to dismiss it but then I did a double take and was like “wait, that’s not what I drew there at all!” Then it turned into a hastily scribbled insect with no circle to speak of.

Very low level of lucidity though, I didn’t really get that certain click I’ve gotten a couple of times in the past, and instead of becoming more vivid the dream faded within seconds. Don’t know if that was because of the RC or some other factors. I haven’t had practice in a long while.