We don't need no stinkin' traffic lights

This was shown to me in my sociology class and I thought it was really neat. This video was taken in 1905 of Market Street in San Francisco. There are pedestrians, cars, horses and trolleys, all going along without traffic direction of any sort. It’s hard to imagine any of us pulling this off today :tongue:

A Trip Down Market Street

And that’s because there’s too many jerks and blind people out there my friend… you should know that. You should realise that all those ignorant costumers from hell you get, get there by car. You want them let loose without system?

Btw traffic lights aren’t too bad, it’s stop signs I hate. See in the Netherlands we don’t do any stopsigns really, or at least not 4 ways. And all traffic lights we got have got sensors in the road so we never wait for something that isn’t there.
But here in Canada there’s 4 way stop signs at EVERY crossing and the traffic lights don’t have sensors. So even if it is 3 am and there is no-one around you still have to stop, and people actually do so… What is wrong with this country?! I have seen people late at night stopping for a stopsign in the middle of a parking lot… you could see miles around and there wasn’t a single car! Wake up… shit!

Oh and btw great footage… I love that!

I think it probably has to do with the fact none of those carriages are going any faster than 10 maybe 15 mph. When pretty much all modern cars drive at 30mph around cities (except a few that find such incredible speed to be terrifying. :roll:) and easily reach 70mph. At least twice as fast in cities four times faster in other areas, hence less time to see obstacles, less time to react and more time to stop, with the higher speeds at least.

I like this video, gives a great idea of how life was back in those days :content:. Thanks for sharing

Meh… not in downtown San Fransisco… you’ll have a hard time doing 5 there…
But apart from that… point taken :content: