What Book Are You Reading? — Part III

I just finished reading HP and the Deathly Hallows…

Best book ever - The Count of Monte Cristo. In the old language, not the new translations…

I haven’t read it yet - how was it? I’m waiting for pay day so I can afford it :content:

Ken Wilber’s Integral Spirituality: A Startling New Role for Religion in the Modern and Postmodern World

(I take issue with some of Wilber’s integral model. He seems to generalize a lot, place mysticism on a pedastal, and devalue many varieties of spiritual experiences via pre/trans fallacy. But at the same time I hope his work is something others will be able to develop further and make adjustments to.)

Art Green’s translation of the Sefat Emet

(Just started reading this one but it’s really a fantastic work of hasidus. It speaks very directly and clearly about key concepts, all structured around the weekly parshiot.)

and lastly

Working with Anger by Thubten Chodron

(I read another book by her that I didn’t enjoy so much. Thubten Chodron’s writing style is very dry, almost like a text book. But this book is extremely insightful about the nature of anger and what we can do to work with it. So I’m trying to persevere despite the writing style.)

Finished up the latest Harry Potter. Amazing up until almost the very end. For some reason, the five pages or so before the epilogue didn’t do much for me. Besides that, Rowling does an amazing job tying up loopholes that you needed explained and other loopholes that you didn’t even know were loopholes.

I’m finished with Small Things Considered by Petroski. Biggest waste of 15 dollars ever. EVER. The book is terrible and repetitive. The man simply talks about himself and what HE thinks about modern day appliances. I mean, the first 8 pages were interesting, but that’s about it. Plus, the entire book could be summed up in those first 8 pages, basically that “design is never perfect.” The book would have been much better as an essay. I don’t recommend it.

My amazon shipment just arrived.

EWLD by LaBerge

The Hebrew Goddess by Raphael Patai

Kabbalah: New Perspectives by Moshe Idel

Hebrew for Biblical Interpretation by Arthur Walker-Jones

Learn Biblical Hebrew by John H. Dobson

Ego and Archetype by Edward Edinger

and

Inner Work: Using Dreams & Active Imagination for Personal Growth by Rober A. Johnson

so I’ll be busy for a while. :happy: I’ve taken a look at a few of the books. So far Inner Work seems very promising, and Ego and Archetypes perhaps moreso because it’s not so heavily crafted for the lay person. I am a lay person but I like to get to the nitty gritty. And I’ve been picking up a lot of analytical psych lingo from the podcast I’m following.

Dobson’s book on biblical hebrew looks to be a fantastic method, getting down and dirty with the text from the start, but it looks like his understanding of biblical grammar is a little off as he’s overlooked a vav consecutive , something that’s not even in the index, and even his sense of conjugation seems influenced by modern hebrew. The other book on biblical hebrew seems much better, and as a text that also teaches the critical exegesis of biblical texts it pays a lot of attention to the details of grammar. I haven’t picked up Patai or Idel’s books, but it’s hard to go wrong with Idel on jewish mysticism and Patai’s book is well known for its examination of the goddess and goddess worship throughout jewish history.

I just finished The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury as a summer project for school. I thought it was really weird, but interesting.

I really want to get back into reading for pleasure, though. Anyone know of any good fantasy novels? Maybe I can get my mom or dad to drive me to the library before school starts. I wish I could read the new HP book, but I don’t have the money.

Picked up The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. Recommended by a friend. Heard it was incredible. However, it reads slow and is about 750 pages. You might need to take your time with that one…

Karuni,

when I was about your age I read a fantasy series by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey: Elvenbane, Elvenblood, and Elvenborn. It’s pretty good. Dark elves have powerful magic, have enslaved the human species. There are halfbloods whose magic is more powerful and I think they might all be killed off by the dark elves or forced into exile. There are dragons too, somewhere off in the wilderness.

Another good series that I read a few books in, I can’t even remember the name of the books or tha author, maybe someone else remembers, but it’s about a colony from, I think Scotland or Ireland, at a time when mankind is sending lots of large colonies off into space. They end up crashing on a planet that has really terrible weather patterns, meaning they can’t easily become space-faring. Over many generations they forget all of their technology and develop some type of psi-powers. They form a feudal class system. perhaps based initially on the psi powers. Did a little googling. It’s the darkover series by marion zimmer bradley:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkover_series

Never read them all but really sucked me into that universe.

Kalmish

wordsworth’s the prelude

Picked up Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan. Very interesting how economics can be used to explain how the world works. Definitely not a textbook, though it does give very good insight about the economy. I recommend this one to people who want to understand how governments and markets work.

I think this will be a fun thread for me. I’m a constant reader. :content:

Right now I’m in the middle of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. It’s for my summer AP English Literature reading list. Quite good actually.

I’ve also read 1984 and Brave New World for my summer reading, and I have to write an essay on one of them before school starts…

I just read a book called the Three Day Road. It was a very good read. It’s about two native Indian snipers in world war 1. My psychiatrist recommended it for me. I’m reading another which she recommended for me. I hope it’s as good as the last one :content:

what is this book about?would you, please, tell us about it something more?i like book, that’s why i’m asking, but i don’t trust tittles any more… :smile:

I finished a book about philosophy this summer :smile:

I liked it, but during the reading i got the impression that the author ment something with it, he tried to make me think Ayn Rand was the absolutely best, and rightest of them all.

When doing research on the guy (googling him) that wrote the book I found that he was a representant for “FRP” (Well, the most blue party in norway that has some size), and now is the leader of “DLF” a party that is wanting capitalism with as little interaction from the state as possible, laissezfairecapitalism.

So all in all a pretty biased book.

I also found “howl and other poems” in English :smile: Brilliant!

Right atm, am I reading a book about the “dirty-tricks” in debating, Shopenhauer wrote it, but it is translated and everything. It makes a lot of sense, and you recognize the tricks the politicians are using in those TV-debates :lol:

totally started reading the star wars books at the beginning of this summer, and now im hooked!

id say ive read about 8 in the past 2 months, but the one im currently working on is…

Star Wars the new jedi order
dark tide 1 onslaught
michael a. stackpole

its really good

Things Fall Apart is about the British colonization of the Ibo tribes in Africa. It follows a man named Okonkwo, and his struggles before and during the colonization.

I found The Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway and decided to read it. It contains the first forty-nine short stories.

The memory book

Its a good book, I memorised all 50 states in 35 min

The bristling wood, by katharine kerr. Part III in the Deverry series.

:wave: :mag:

don juan - lord byron