What Book Are You Reading? — Part III

:happy:

:hyper:

That is one of the most profound, beautiful things I’ve ever read! It’s so good to know you’re reading it! :content: Good luck with it, not only is it big, it’ll take a while before you can actually say you’re reading it fluently, so to speak, it’s a tough tough read the darn thing. Tell me when you read the tale of the Grand Inquisitor. It was the first thing I read from the Brothers Karamazov, and what made me buy the whole book and read it (I remember being surprised the book wasn’t a “book of short stories”, and that the Grand Inquisitor was one of the only tales in the whole book).

Bleh, I have to read about 50 pages/week in each of my engineering textbooks(I have 3). Most of the time the topics are interesting and I absorb the information quickly, but this week’s chapter in Digital Fun. was so bloody boring that I found myself just dragging through each page, actually looking forward to doing the chapter problems(just to break up the monotony). Oh well, at least it’s behind me now, I can finally move on to the other books(oh joy!! :meh: ).

Currently reading the Silmarillion again, by Tolkien.
I like this book much more than The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, because the story has just more interesting aspects for me and it takes place in such a vast world.

Tell me how both of those turn out. I’m sitting with a copy of The Brothers K right above me, but I abandoned it because I need to focus on schoolwork now…

Picked up EWLD again. I can’t say that I care much for LaBerge’s writing style… he strikes me as arrogant, but there’s always something for a lucid dreamer to learn in that book. :wink:

I just got a new book for my class today.
One of the 12 or so we read over the semester.
It is called “Mythology” by Edith Hamilton.
I am looking forward to this book, it seems to be a good one.

Have you noticed that the way that Iain Banks writes is very dreamlike? His descriptions of surroundings are like dreamlandscapes: immense and bizarre.
When I searched the internet on ‘Iain Banks’ and ‘LD’ I wasn’t disappointed to find this quote of his: "Most of my dreams are lucid, and have been since I was a very small child " (see https://www.literaturefestival.co.uk/2004/banks.html)
Isn’t that amazing? Here’s a man who’s entire body of work is heavily influenced by LDreaming!
You should read his book ‘The Bridge’, which is about a guy’s continuous dreaming while in a coma…

finished Sister of my Heart, which was reading for school, but i fell in love with the book instantly.

If you like big adventures and stuff it’s not the book for you, it’s just a book about life, but it’s fantastic, and (i won’t give anything away), just when i thought i couldn’t be more pleased, [spoiler] The twist at the end was so awesome, a real shocker :razz: (ps: thought this required spoiler tags so that it doesn’t tempt people to just read the end, they wouldn’t understand the twist anyway!)[/spoiler]

Not reading anything at the moment, but I just finished Eclipse, third book in the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Love those books!!! :content:

I also recently finished reading a book called My Sister’s Keeper…it was really good but so sad! I cried at the end… :cry:

“Secrets of Sleep” I just picked it up today and hopefully it’ll be interesting and will help me with my projects.

I just started The Odyssey today.
I am also working on Les Mis (still) and EWLD.
discussion continues in part IV here