What Book Are You Reading? -- Part V

I’ve only read 20 pages! I can’t get any farther because of school work and I still have to read a biography and right a book report on a book about an African American in less than a week :sad:
AND I have to finishing reading an autobiography of Helen Keller soon!!!

The autobiography on Helen Keller isn’t too boring…and I’ll just find a quick summary of an African American’s life and right my book report on that. THANK YOU, INTERNET!!!

lmao.

I am presently re-reading “The Restaurant at the End of Universe”. I love “The Hitch-Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” series and have read all the books once before.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

They are all brilliant! :yay:

I’m reading
Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett :read:

I just started to read ‘The Celestine Prophecy’ last night.

I finally started “World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.” :yay:

Of course, I’m still working through that Hyperion series. (that book is… waaay… over due to the library…)

I am currently reading…(simultaneously)

The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins)
The Dawkins Delusion (Alistaer McGrath)
The Never Ending Days of being Dead (Marcus Chown…such a great book!! Please PM if anybody else has read this…my parents think I’m mad…)
Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Introducing Quantum Theory (J.P McEvoy&Oscar Zarate)
On Cars (Jeremy Clarkson)
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)

This is more than I think my father has EVER read. I had a book splurge at Christmas…I got 13 books for christmas and I bought a futher 12 in the sales…grins

I NEED MORE!!! ARGH turns into the book hulk

i am currently reading The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
and am working my way through the HGTTG series.

I’ve been re-reading Nietzsche’s books. (Actually, some of them I read for the first time). That is to say, Birth of Tragedy, Human All-Too-Human, Aurora, The Gay Science, Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, Genealogy of Morality, Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist and Ecce Homo.

Now I’m reading the Brazilian national epic: Macunaíma: The hero with no morals. (Yes, I live in the only country whose national epic is about an anti-hero, and I’m deeply proud of it). Also reading a posthmous anthology of Lester Bangs’ articles (a selection from Psychotic Reactions, if anyone with the referents was wondering), and also bits and pieces of Northrop Frye’s Anatomy of Criticism and The Stubborn Structure, as well as Derrida’s Plato’s Pharmacy and Of Grammatology.

Next in line on my readings list is Paulo Lins’ Cidade de Deus, on which the movie City of God is based. And then I’ll dive into a “read the whole works of Machado de Assis” couple of months.

Ok i am done with The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe and am going to read Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment and the rest of Maximum Ride. The reason being that i can LITERALLY read a 300 page book in a day, so i take good books when they come :content:
On the Hitchhiker, the author picked the strangest titles for them…

Eh… I started the first book. I was kind of annoyed by the style and the sudden bombardment of characters to remember, but it was a pretty cool idea.

Finally finished that Hyperion book. sigh Took me like a month. :tongue:

I [size=150]HIGHLY [/size]recommend the first two books of the quartet (all I’ve read so far…). In the second book, the main character has the ability to dream events happening elsewhere and the book deals with a lot of interesting philosophical questions about reality and God and Artificial Intelligence and the extermination of other sentient creatures.

Check it out! Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

I loved that book, as I did ‘A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’. Haven’t read the rest yet but those two are incredibly funny and very well written so I will definately get around to the rest of the series.

I’m currently reading ‘Tuesdays With Morrie’. It isn’t written brilliantly, because the guy who wrote it was a sports journalist… But the story is great and the characters are wonderful. It is a wonderful narrative, despite being based on factual events. Not written so well, like I said, but it does make up for that let down with a great story.

Currently re-reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King and am almost done with the 3rd book.

I’m re-reading ‘His Dark Materials’ By Philip Pullman

I finished ‘Northern Lights’ on Saturday and immediately picked up ‘The Subtle Knife’. You forget just how cleverly they’re linked together and on how many levels you can read them. Very clever stuff.

Trouble is that being of the grown-up persuasion, family all inclusive, I don’t have a lot of ‘spare’ time in which to just sit and read. :sad: I used to love to just sit in the garden with a bottle of pop and read a book till I’d finished it. :cry: Those were the days.

I’m working on George R. R. Martin’s “A Game of Thrones.”

I may reread His Dark Materials at some point this summer, too, as that seems to be a common summer pastime.

Trying out a new writer, so I’m reading “Ubik” by Philip K. D ick at the moment.

i recently read cortex, which is about 2 brothers that make this chip-like device to improve their psychic powers, and they get chased and keep using their psychic powers to survive :yes:

30000th post in the lounge XD

damnit, i should have made one more post earlier XD
would have been fun, at least, i think it would have been… 30.000 in the forum with 700 posts for me… no correlation between the numbers…

Ah, I’ve read his Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I liked it but I can’t vouch for his other books.

Currently reading Endymion by Dan Simmons, 3rd book in a series, and In the Blink of an Eye by Andrew Parker, a very science-y book about the cause of the Cambrian Explosion.

I don’t have a whole lot of time read during the semester, but I read The Moral Animal: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright. If you’re into evolutionary biology or are curious about human nature, I highly recommend it. You have to be willing to dive into non-fiction, though. The ideas are interesting, the writing is relatively, well, non-fictiony.

What is the What by Dave Eggers is the last fiction book I read, and it’s based on actual events. It’s a great book, but if you decide to read it, be warned, you WILL cry on a couple of occasions. I had to put it down for a week or so at one point.

The Hitchhiker’s “trilogy” is brilliant. The first three are great stories that are absolutely hilarious. After that, the story qualities really drop off, but they remain very funny. Adams overstates the little things and understates the really big things. Remember, if you want to fly, just aim yourself at the ground and miss.

after consistant nagging from my friend, i picked up Illusions by Robert Bach.

Really cool book :smile: Can’t put it down.