What does being 'in love' feel like?

Life is good for me at the moment, because I have recently fallen in love. And the thing is, it’s to someone that I would have never expected. And she loves me back. :smile: Good times.

I think love can be both the most wonderful experience of your life and also the most painful.

However, people can get too caught up in joining both love and sex together. The same as you don’t have to love someone to have sex with them, you also don’t have to have sex with someone to love them. Love comes in many forms. It has no strict definition. It is fluid.

What about asexuals? Yes, there are many people out there who identify with asexuality as being their sexual orientation. Yet, these people will probably still want love. Is it possible for asexuals to have romantic relationships even though there’s no sex involved? There could still be touching, warmth, affection.

I personally would like sex, but what if you meet someone and emotionally/mentally/spiritually (or whatever) they are your soulmate, but you don’t find them sexually attractive? What if you also met someone else who made you really horny, but you had no emotional connection with? You could either abandon these relationships and go on and endless search for the the perfect person, or you could get everything you need from two different people. In fact, history has shown time and time again that there is a tendency for this to happen anyway.

I think society puts love in too much of a strict box, but also gives people really high expectations, an image of perfection. Perfection, even if it does happen, is fleeting, and something else then replaces it.

As for teenagers, I think they should embrace their desire for love, because that could be the most intense experience of their entire life. They need educating about the dangers of pregnancy and deseases, but shouldn’t be told not to love.

I also don’t like this whole “dating” concept that seams rampant in American culture. It makes it sound all so formal and planned, takes any fun out of it in my mind. Why does something have to be labelled as either a “date” or “not a date”? If nothing sexual is taking place and they’re not in love, what is it other than friendship? Why can’t boys and girls just do things as friends and see what happens from there, go with it? As soon as you put a strict framework on the whole thing, it removes the spontaneity and natural flow of things.

But love, love is a feeling. It doesn’t matter what situation it arises from, it is a feeling. Maybe it covers a wide range of feelings? You can fall in love with the image you have of what somebody is, without even meeting them. This has happened to me several times via the internet. As dreamers, we all know the power of the mind even when external stimilation is absent. You can be in love with something that isn’t real. In that sense, love comes from inside us, not from outside, and we create our own universe inside our heads. You can be in love with anything or anyone. Often I really love the feeling I get when I drive through the countryside with my favourite music playing. It is a tremendous feeling of freedom and a sense of purity of self. That is a form of love, that powerful feeling in that moment.

Some people feel tremendous love form God. I personally don’t believe God exists, but the fact that people feel love from him just proves the power we have inside us all. God is really just symbolic of the power we have within ourself, and love is a part of that.

When you fall in love with someone, they have touched a part of you, opened up a doorway. It all comes from within you though, it’s all there to begin with. Set it free, and observe the true beauty of the world around you.

:smile:

Ed

In all my 18 years of living, of life, there has never been a feeling greater than that of love. Once experienced, it changes you. It molds you. Many people have the notion that love is but an emotion. They are wrong in their assumptions. As one who has and is experiencing it, I can tell you that it is definitly more than an emotion. Love is a force that, once it consumes you, once it grabs hold of you, it leads you into a life changing course, one that you will remember all of your life. True Love can never be forgotten, ever.

Another subject with love is that of fate. Are we destined to be with a person? I believe this to be true. But what people fail to realize is that destiny is only as strong as the choices we choose to make throughout our lives. You could have very well already met the girl/boy you are destined to be with. You may have turned them down without thinking, or you may not have done anything. It all takes effort on your part. If you wanna do something, do it. Don’t wait around. Life passes us by faster than we could ever imagine. Take your choices while they are still available to you, before you end up regreting it. (A note to all who are hesitant in letting others know their feelings towards them.)

Hi Jack
If it wasn´t so much work I´d really feel tempted to collect all the posts you made in threads on love or relationsships and printing them as some kind of manual :wink:
I like your thoughts on love, and you have a nice way to phrase them. I especially agree on what you said about the labels. At the moment there is someone I like a lot, and I don´t care wether it is love or a crush or whatever. It´s feeling good, that is all I got to know.

tapir

Oh,thats suprising.Very nice of you to say that Tapir.
Not all of them are genuely mine…or actually they are…how to put it…
Dont know if you ever read “Conversations with God” by Neale Walsh- i suggest you take a look at it.It helped me to put in words what i have allways felt and what i agree with.
I care a lot for emotions though maybe its not allways seen through my posts here.But i do,for me being emotionally fine is most important thing,i dont care for anything else that much.My hapiness is my emotionall state which is shaped by emotions others feel towards me…kind of circle.
Been to many relationships,some long ones 5-6 years and some very short.Out of this experience came two things- it matters not how long it lasts but whats the quality of it.Secondly- live it to fullest cuz any compromise here is robbing yourself of something wonderfull.
All the best there Tapir,thx again:)

I just wanted to say: Ed Case, I thought your post was fantastic and incredibly wise. A different viewpoint on this topic, and it was great fun to read. Thanks for sharing your views. :smile:

Being in love is the feeling you get when you and your partner mutually understand that the two of your share a future where the two of you are the definitive parts.

From there, you feel special, important, you feel the trust, faith, security, equality, understanding, acceptance, respect, commitment, etc…

But love is not the emotions. It is the cause of emotions. You need to be independent to allow love to be the cause of the emotions. When you are fifteen and are dependent, the emotions you feel can be similar to what love can induces, although they don’t come from love.

So, technically, you can only feel truly in love when the two of you have what it takes to talk about the future and have talked about it. Before that, it is just a fantasy.

well then, I guess I am truly in love, because we HAVE talked about it, and we are planning for it to be August 14 (the day we began going out, on a sunday), 2008. Exactly 1008 days away :happy: I am so excited. I never thought I could ever find that perfect girl. But now I have, and I am never letting go :happy:. I wrote her a confession of love type letter just this afternoon, she was in tears when she heard, she said it was the sweetest thing she had ever heard.

What follows below is a confession of my love for my beautiful angel. It is in dedication to Brianna Martin, the one girl who sees past the clouds of indifference and said yes to my proposal of love. The one girl who, after all we have gone through, still insists on being faithful to me. The one girl who, no matter what the situation, finds time to be with me, and love me as much as I love her. The one girl whos beauty stands out like none other, who looks beautiful no matter what. The one girl who I can always count on to be there for me, to wipe the tears away, and bring me smiles of happiness. The one girl that will always be loved by me. The one girl who I will always stay faithful to, no matter what. I will never leave her, I will only love her more and more as each day passes. The love I have for her is great, like none other I have ever experienced in all of my 18 years on this planet we call Earth. There’s nothing more beautiful than seeing that smile, hearing that laugh, feeling that love - that once in a lifetime love.

A lot of people say love blinds you, making you believe that the person you love is beautiful, no matter what. I hope that love continues to blind me, because I am seeing nothing but beauty. I don’t know if Brianna can quite comprehend how much I love her, how much she means to me, how bad I need her. Maybe she does, but if she doesnt, It is my job to prove it to her.

My baby, My sweetheart, My angel from above:

I love you.  Three words that come from the deepest parts of my heart.  Three words that when you say them to me, makes me tingle inside.   Three words that can change an argument into a gentle hug and kiss.  Three words that I truly mean and will always be directed to you.  

-Always faithful to you,

–Your baby, Your sweetheart, Your angel from above…Will.

yea, I think you are really in love. what I said was almost all taken from what you posted. /joy

It really is hard to describe falling in love. You just gotta feel it. If I had to describe it, I would say it feels very exciting, very secure, and very happy.

I was in love for five years. Then my ex-fiancee cheated on me with a good mutual friend. It was very shocking to me, because both of them are spiritual people like myself and like many of you. Her and I were extremely close, like one person. The things we used to say to eachother, and the letters we would write, it reminds me of what Sera is saying.

Nothing is set in stone. Many people feel like “we would never break up” but the truth is you never know for sure. Always treasure the people you love, because you never know when life will take them away, or when they will take themselves away.

Very beautiful Sera, I always like hearing about how well your relationship is going. :touched:

thanks wolf, and estok :smile: things are still going great.

i agree with magic. dont just assume you will always be with that one person for life. Treat it as if you could lose them tommorow, and you want them to stay with you. Do everything you can to keep from losing them, but try not to overdo it lol. Brianna has told me 2 things that would probably be the only reasons she would leave me. 1.) if I ever started doing drugs (never planned on doing them anyways) and 2.) If I ever cheated on her (Which will never happen because I believe there is no one out there more perfect than my baby Brianna, no one compares at all.) You just gotta be extra special to them EVERYDAY. Because, since when was tommorow ever promised to anyone? Love or otherwise?

That’s a very wise way of looking at it, mi amigo. Now if only I could [b]find[/b] someone to treat special everyday… :hmmm:

Lol ! :grin:

That`s my problem too :wink: :cool:

The cool thing about love is that it can strike at any time. You might be in the bookstore just looking at stuff, and all of a sudden you’ll meet your future partner.

I had no idea I was going to meet my ex-fiancee when I did. I wasn’t looking to meet anyone or get into a relationship.

Well, love feels cool, i always kept thinking about “that” girl while listening to music, and it made me feel good. Well, at least to the moment i found out that im not in her type :smile: At the moment i dont have the love feeling…maybe thats good? Love can be painful…

man i envy you right now. i want that, i want someone to love… your very lucky man.

I have somebody I have met who I have chemistry with, but I don’t know where exactly it is headed. I don’t knwo if it will develop into full-blown love or whether it will just be lust, a bit of fun. I’m not concerned at the moment. All I know is I want to peel her clothes off and pull her towards me, that’s all I know right now.

:happy:

Damn…you pwn teh confessions :eek:
man i wish i was you :content:

1: im sorry to Quote stuff from page 1
2: im 16 years old soon 17 and i have NEVER felt “in love”
3: everybody thinks im crazy
4: this post is pretty off-topic and im sorry for it