Working on Dream Diary software... any input would be great

thank you for responding to my suggestions. I have another: checkable buttons to designate a dream lucid, non-lucid, important, whatever. quicker than tagging. of course, if you chose, you could check multiple buttons for the same dreams.

I think the idea of checking something as “important” is interesting. I might call it something else, like “interesting” or “special” or something along those lines. It could have a special display on the front page and encourage others to read it more.

As far as lucidity, there is already a drop-down box for a rating of Lucidity from 0 to 10 – 0 being non-lucid, 10 being entirely lucid.

Thanks again!

Andrew

This sounds really cool! I don’t have time right now to watch any of the videos. Also, I don’t typically keep my dream journal on the computer(again lack of time). I mostly write keywords in a notepad by my bed, and sometimes pictures. As far as for this program you could:

1. Color code parts of your dream, like on this forum in the dream journal area. [nd]normal dream[nd] [com]commentary[com] etc.

Hmm, without watching the video I don’t know what else it has, but I would like to encourage the drawing part of it and the whole project, again neat idea.

Before this post it never really occured to me that someone might just write down keywords (or “tags”) instead of a full dream description… I’ll have to update it to be able to do that.

As far as colour coding, ya, that could definitely work. I’ll be adding support for HTML, as well as easy code like how this forum has B, I, U, URL, QUOTE, IMG tags, etc. This is easy. I can also get this to support colour coding, for something like [COLOUR=blue]some blue text[/COLOUR]

This whole thing still makes me rather drawn-back… I still REALLY want to do a public, free-for-all community version, but dreamjournal.net already looks pretty popular, with more than 5,000 users. :confused: Damn.

Hey you know, dreamjournal.net had to start somewhere. Do you think their first version was as good as it is today? Do you think it began with 5000 users? If you want to try a community style journal - Go for it!

I had another idea. when I used to have a Word-based dream journal, I would cut and paste in a star (✩) at the front of any dream entry where I went lucid.

perhaps you could have a drop-down menu of similar symbols, like an exclamation point, star, question mark or whatever to mark certain dreams off as… whatever.

1 to 10 seems lil bit too finely scaled, IMHO. I would go with a rating of four to five stars, myself. personally I find it hard to imagine how at 4 lucid dream would differ from a 6 or even how just a 6, say, would come across.

That’s true. I really appreciate the words of wisdom. Every little bit gives me inspiration to go for it.

Their site is pretty poor, to be frank. It doesn’t look very professional, and it doesn’t look like it’s going very far in terms of a new design. I do web design and web programming as my profession, and I know I could blow it out of the water as far as functionality goes. I just really don’t want to do it for nothing, you know? It’s a lot of time.

But really, all it takes is a few people to say “ya, I’d sign up for that” and I’d probably drop this jDream thing right now and start it, get something up as basic and soon as possible, and then add to it from there.

So many different thoughts… haha :confused: If any of you guys have ANY comments about the idea, do not be afraid to let me know.

And thank you so much, Fwump38. You have no idea how much it’s appreciated!

I agree with you, DreamJournal looks sort of shoddy when compared to, say, this site or to LiveJournal.

That’s definitely a good idea. Based on the rating system (which I commented on below), if the dream is a very lucid one (say a rating of 4 or 5 out of 5) then it stars it. Good thinking!

This is interesting. However, this might be more of a “private” feature, in that it should only be available to the poster, and not public. The reason I say that is because most people will want a reason for the different symbols. If there are reasons, it makes it easy to sort. If all they see is a bunch of undefined symbols, it might just be confusing. Good idea nonetheless.

Definitely. I agree. I’ll change it to out of 5, and I’ll also make it based on stars, so the drop-down might look like

Lucidity:
0 stars

• 1 star
    ** 2 stars

***** 5 stars

If I can find some easy way to do it with images, I will. Until then it will probably be just a drop-down menu. Good thought though.

Again, thank you very much! It’s so graciously appreciated!

thank you for taking inspiration from some of my ideas.

one more idea, stealing form LiveJournal, their mood feature could also work. again, with a drop-down menu, as on LJ.

as soon as you get your site running I predict that I will switch over from LJ, where I currently jot down my dreams online, over to your domain.

Well, I appreciate the kind words – I guess? :tongue:

If I can make the “LiveJournal of dreams” then I most certainly will. And I definitely think I can.

As far as timeline, I think I can get a really great, feature-filled community dream journal going by the end of the summer (see: September) for when I go back to school. And even then, I’m barely taking any classes, so I have plenty of time. It might not have a forum at first (like dreamjournal.net has), but the rest of that sites features are easy as pie. Also, I already know in my head EASY EASY EASY ways that I could let users customize their dream page.

Ugh I want to do this so badly now! haha

Thanks for the input!! And please guys, more comments! I need the inspiration! :happy:

Excellent! That’s easy to add!

Ok, since you guys keep posting, I’ll make a quick summary.

Since this is all really inspiring, I’m very much considering just dropping the personal software type thing that this is now and making this into a public LiveJournal alternative for dreams, with all of the same functionality, and of course, more!

Awesome! Yay! :happy: Keep the words coming!

I just thought I’d let you know that:

-For one, people on ld4all, will most likely not be the only people to use it.
-I would probably use it some. I looked at dream journal a while back and it didn’t look that great, it wasn’t geared towards lucid dreams, which is what I wanted.
-Again I would like to encourage the LiveDreamJournal idea. Most of those blogs are really easy to use and It sounds like you have enough skills to make this into something really nice.

Also, if I recall reading somewhere, this is the 3rd or 4th version of ld4all, right? Something basic would be a great start, just don’t get bogged down on all the little features you want to add, try to add it as you finish it.

Lastly I had something good to go here, some final point. I have currently forgotten it. Best of luck? That’ll hit the spot, yes, Best of Luck, oh now I remember! Keep us informed.

edit: ooo wow I have three stars now!!

That’s very true. I mean, every hobby community (from music to dreaming to sports) wants everything to themselves and “underground” to an extent. So, at at the risk of sounding like a “sell out”, I’d want the overall site geared towards everybody, just not the (lucid) dream enthusiasts. I want everyone to think, “cool, i want to log my dreams” and hopefully learn something from then, learn about lucid dreaming. I want to dumb it down enough for the average bumbling idiot to use and appreciate. However, at the same time, I want the features that you guys know will benefit serious dream journalling, to make you on your way to more lucid dreams, or OBEs, or whatever the aim. I’d like it general, but I’d like to, maybe, use the results for public research. Maybe a statistician would take the results from the website and make them mean something. That would mean the world to me.

Well based on what I just wrote above, I want everyone to be able to use it at the same time. A thought just occured to me though: maybe I can have seperate user account types, that a user can change any time, that they can activiate certain features. So they could, for instance, activate specific lucid dreaming-based functionality, and/or OBE functionality, or just standard functionality for those who just want to have some fun.

Does that sound like a decent idea?

Well, if I can get a first version up and have it be twice as professional looking and half as functional then that’s where I’d want to start. I definitely think this is plausable within in the next 3 months. I have no doubt I could get a VERY basic (with the features I’ve displayed in the video) on a public, community level website by the end of June. And hopefully, in the meantime, get the word out and start keeping track of people’s ideas. Also side note: I’ll probably have to change the name, as jdream.com .net and .org have all been taken. And LiveDreamJournal might be infringing on some copyrights. Once I come up with a decent name I’ll be sure to snag the .com for it ASAP.

:happy: Much appreciated! I’ll post about it as much as I can without driving you guys nuts. Pass the word around, see if you can get some others to post their opinions and ideas on here.

I’m very much inspired to start the transformation and work this Saturday – I would tomorrow, but I’m busy all day :sad: haha

Thanks again guys!

I’ve looked at the videos and it looks great, after using it myself, I’m sure I could get some more suggestions. It looks much better than dreamjournal.net, the site hasn’t been udated for atleast a year. I definetly want to try this out! :tongue:

Great! Again, the words of kindness really help. I’m starting the project on Saturday, and I’m sure I can get it done REALLY soon – I won’t say when exactly, I don’t want to make any promises.

I’ll keep you guys updated though!

all I have to do is think of a new name for it

OK, so… quick update:

I’ve started working on the new code. Everything seems to be going great. I’m also going to be working on a new design, similar to the one in the videos, but a bit more taillored to a community, “web 2.0” website. I’ll post a copy of it when I’m done that. It’ll probably be something more in the vein of LiveJournal, but a bit prettier.

Hope you guys are still reading this!

Hey! Cool stuff. Keep the good work up.

Good news too!
As far as a domain names goes…

and with the permission of Q, you could use:

dd4all.com
dd4all.net

“Dream diary 4 All”

As far as I have searched, it is unregistered! But again, I don’t know about copyright or any of that with ld4all, so you would have to ask Q, who is the site admin.

edit: I watched your videos and I think it looks pretty good!

Ah! Merci! The comments are much appreciated. As far as the name goes, I’ll probably stick with something totally original. I don’t want to tie in with anyone at the moment, you know? It’s something that will come to me when I’m not thinking about it.

…and since someone else finally posted, I’ll give a preview of my new (and probably a bit too much looking like LiveJournal) web design for it:

andrewfreiday.com/files/comp … dream2.jpg

It’s pretty simple, but I’m hoping I can pretty up the content enough. I just want navigation as simple as possible. I’ll let the content be what people come for!

finally, on a computer with a good connection, I saw your video and it had just the kind of features that would make it a good journal, like time woken.

did you get that PM where I gave you some suggestions as to names for the journal?