Working on Dream Diary software... any input would be great

Excellent! And yet again, from all of you people here, the kind words are much much much appreciated!

I must apologize though, as I didn’t see the PM you had sent, at least not until I read your post mentioning it. I always assumed it would e-mail me when someone sent me a message… guess I was wrong :tongue: I did respond however, and I most definitely must thank you again! …so thank you! :smile:

whether you get an e-mail on receiving a PM depends on your user settings.

From the video I watched, it looked pretty good, excepting the video quality…but this picture looks really nice! It looks to be really user friendly, and I say, keep up the good work!

Many thanks! :happy:

I’d really like to start a development blog for the project, so people can follow the creation of it, give ideas, comment on updates and stuff. I might do this once I come up with a name and buy the .com for it.

I’ve done more work on the code today, and it’s coming along great. All I’ve decided is that I have to draw out every major page beforehand, just so I know EXACTLY how it should look. All I want is the best user experience possible. :smile:

Keep the comments coming guys! :happy:

i think this sounds like a great idea!

i think the whole project is a great idea. ive been looking for some LD oriented journaling software with not much luck :/. i just looked at dreamjournal.net, pretty cheesy. yours is already much cleaner!

i do also love the doodling function idea. i often make simple drawings next to an entry, very effective in triggering the memory.

i fully support this and can’t wait to see the finished product! ill be watching this thread for sure :content:

I’ve still been working on this thing whenever I have some free time. I have a pretty vague goal set in my mind about when I want to have things done:

June 1st I would like to have a decent version going that’s useable, try and get some people to test it. Also by this time I’d like to have a name set in stone.

July 1st I want to release a public version with all of the features I forsee as essential. I’m already just about at that point, so I assume I can have quite a few extras by that time.

September 1st I want this to be when I have a fully featured, spectacular system down. I’ll spend two weeks in August rewriting and refining the code if I really have to.

Right now these seem pretty realistic, maybe even generous. I’ll let you guys know whenever I have any updates on this.

wow, thats cool - looks like your going pretty good on that. Keep up the good work and let me know if you need me to test something or what not.

I want to test it! :content:

please sign me up for testing as well! :happy:

Alright, excellent! Sounds good guys. I’ll make a mental note and come back to send you messages for beta testing. But as per my timeline, don’t hold your breath for the next 19 days. :tongue:

…so some not-so-good news:

I was just on the #ld4all chat for a bit, talking to seem people. I mentioned my “jDream” website idea, and it was brought up that yet another person is in the midst of making a dream journaling-type application/website(?). I’m not sure too much about the details other than this.

Nonetheless, it’s somewhat disheartening, especially right when I started really getting into the project. As expressed previously, I very much hate “competing” with other people, as it were, and I don’t want to do an idea that’s been done and being done again and again.

So I’m not sure, I have a few options I’m going to reconsider:

1. Drop the idea.
  2. Continue as is.
  3. Continue, but rethink certain things, like the angle I’m going at it, and I have to make it REALLY worthwhile and spend a lot more time perfecting it.

Obviously #1 is the easiest, but I’m very unsure either way. Someone let me know what you think!

Hey look, for one, other than like two websites, dreamjournal.net and some other one, I didn’t see many decent websites for dream journals(I had looked at one point). But from the few I looked at, yours is already much better. I would like to say, again, that I think yours is a good idea, because three main reasons:

1. You seem to be really good at this and already have a nice looking design for it.
  2. You (should hopefully) have implementation of the doodling thing because I’d love to draw things and just put it right in.
  3. The journal is going to have selectable orientation for lucid dreaming, or OBE or normal dreamer, etc.

And who cares what one or two people on the chat said. I know, before you even had the smidgeon of an idea in your head that, dropping it would be easiest. Thanks to my great dad, I have learned the importance of never quitting until the end. Without a long personal anecdote, I’ll just say I wanted to quit something badly and my dad made me stick it out, and I was glad I did.

As you can see from this thread, several people are interested in it. There will be many more in time, so, bottom line, keep it up. “You can do it!”

Your third idea, I don’t really understand, but from what I know on how you are working now, it seems perfect as is. Again, don’t get too bogged down in making it perfect. If you have ever played half life 2, and heard of Garrys mod, then you should understand this. He got a general really simple mod out, and just improved it every now and then (Boy is it a fun mod!).

I don’t really have much more to say, but, don’t let a little thing like that get you bogged down. This, hopefully, should have gotten you going again, because I think you can do really good with this!

well…crap :unsure: i dont think you should get too disheartened until you know more details. what if you drop your project and it turns out that the other person never finishes, or that its kind of shoddy like dreamjournal.net?

I believe many people have previously said they would make new dream journal software, but your the first to show any sign of completing it!

Thanks for all of the very speedy response!

After talking with my girlfriend about it, then a pretty sleepless night while considering the situation (yes, it really does mean that much to me), and now some pretty amazing responses from you guys…

I’ll continue with it.

I know. I’m all over the place. I still haven’t come across a name that I’ve 100% decided on – although every day I feel a bit closer to that.

I may push my schedule back one or two weeks so that I can, now rather than later, rewrite some of my code and clean it up so that in the future it’ll be a lot easier to add stuff to it. But yes, I’ll keep going with it. I’m going to try and sit down tomorrow and just dedicate a full day to it.

But thanks again guys. It truly means a lot to hear good things from you, especially when guys are able to bear with me for the time being. June 1st (based on my schedule in a previous post) will undoubtedly be my point of no turning back, so I just have to get myself there. :happy: Maybe I’ll post some photos and specific updates of it beforehand to get myself inspired. :smile:

Thanks again! :happy:

yay! does a backflip clearly, jDream (or whatever) is going to be fantastic! and dont worry about the timeframe. programs take time, to uh, program :grin: especially when its done well!

Yay! Yes, keep on to it! :content:

That might have been me. Check back in sometime… I have the same nickname in the channel. I’m still interested in it, but the need of a skilled artist is more than obvious. I was also going for a much cleaner user interface, to make it very easy to use for non-geeks and geeks alike. The thought of a more community-style page has also crossed my mind, but I’d really hate it if it were to “compete” with this great forum, competing in such always are just bad for communities.

Please don’t feel dishearted, the stuff you’ve made looks great!

EDIT: just to make things clear, I’ve only been starting the thinking process, haven’t made any code.

Well, sounds good. I’m interested in hearing out your ideas and I’m sure we can give eachother a hand now and then.

As a general update, here are some new screenshots of where I’m at – although they’re pretty uninteresting…

andrewfreiday.com/files/comp … dream1.jpg
andrewfreiday.com/files/comp … dream2.jpg
andrewfreiday.com/files/comp … dream3.jpg
andrewfreiday.com/files/comp … dream4.jpg

I also think that I have a new name picked out… so, once I get some cash I’ll register it, get some hosting, start a development blog, and then herd some beta testers. I also have a huge list of features I need to implement, so I’m just doing them in order of how essential they are. I also have a list of features that I came up with myself, but I’ll keep those secret for now. :wink:

Let me know what you guys think…

looking very clean and straight-forward! cant wait to hear your secret ideas :clap: