Can LD be harmful ?

I have tried LD-ing for 10 days now with no success . Today I was thinking about harmfulness of LD-ing .
I mean , when we sleep , our brain gets rid of unimportant and saves important information when were on a REM-stage of sleep . Thats why sleeping is so important . But what if a person becomes a master of LD-ing . He or she sees LD-s every time he goes to sleep . I was wondering if we see LD-s every time were on a REM-stage of sleep wont our brains become overheated ? When do we process ( Im not sure thats the right word :content: ) the information we have gathered during the day ? I hope you understand what Im trying to say , I`m non-English . :content:

a real lucid dreaming master would be able to choose whether or not to have lucid dreams. In that case it wouldn’t be a problem. But there have been cases where people have not been able to stop lucid dreams, coming to the forum and asking for advice. I don’t think it really done them any real damage, though, as far as I know. It might just make you a bit confused for a bit?? Unable to work out dreams from real life?? I’m not sure. But I’m pretty sure it won’t do any lasting damage.

and your English is good. I had no problem understanding you.:smile:

(I’m not 100% sure of the below information, but I’m pretty certain it is accurate. Some more advanced person may correct me.)

Lucid dreaming is no more harmful than normal dreaming. You see dreams every night, you know? :wink: You just might not remember them if you don’t have good dream recall. In normal dreams your conciusness is also in the dream. You act how your subconcious would act. If you see a monster, you run away. Lucid Dreaming is basically the same, but you gain conciousness over your sub, and you can conciously do whatever you want.

If you would have had an LD, you would have noticed that you are more " brightened up " and awake the day. At least I was really awaken after my first LD. Felt no tiredom, even though all my REM periods were LD’s.

LDing is a safe hobby! :happy:

I don’t think this has ever shown to be the case. I know from my (limited) personal experiences that I almost always feel great for the whole day after I have a lucid dream–perky, positive, and overall rather happy.

The idea that REM periods are used for assimilating memories and so forth hasn’t been proven, per se. It strikes me as a likely (though probably incomplete) hypothesis as to why we experience REM sleep and dreams, but no one knows for sure. So keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind that almost no one is lucid in every dream. Having several lucid dreams a week is a fine goal, and one that most people don’t usually surpass. Let’s say you have four LDs in seven days–that means you’ve probably had somewhere around 30 dreams or so, but only four were lucid. You’ve still got PLENTY of time to assimilate information. Even if you get to the point when you’re becoming lucid once a night–which is pretty rare but definitely possible–you’re still only lucid for a quarter to a half of your dream life. And then there are the other phases of sleep to consider, too.

The bottom line is, even if you were to start noticing negative side effects, you’d be able to stop whenever you wanted to! Lucid dreams very rarely happen without the intention to have one, for most people at least. So if you’re starting to realize that your real-world memories aren’t “sticking”, just stop LDing for a while!! :happy:

Hey this is a great subject to talk about! I was asking myself the same question lots of times. I think that normal LDs can’t harm you, but what about the OBEs or the APs are they save to?? (I don’t think so)

merged into existing topic

Ok, so i’ve had a few lucid dreams… And i’ve started to wonder… Is Lucid Dreaming good for you?

From what I understand the current theory is that sleep is essential to allow your brain some down time, and not getting enough downtime can course real mental problems.
So surely keeping yourself conscious through what is supposed to be your conscious brains time off cant do any good? Or am I missing something?

Sly

It’s REM sleep that you need, and when you are having lucid dreams you still have your REM sleep like usual, so you have all the sleep you need :smile:

Yeah, during your dreams your brain is pretty active, being lucid or not. :wink:

I doubt this is the case. From my limited time Lucid Dreaming I always feel very well rested the day afterwards. I don’t see how it could be bad for you, as peopel dream every night, what is the difference if somebody remembers it or not?

I have found no harm in lucid dreaming. It’s an illusion from your mind, and it can’t hurt you.