Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming...CALD part V

I also forgot to say that a character successfully solving a math problem doesn’t prove it’s existence, but it would definitely grab the attention of the scientific community if people are suddenly solving equations and decoding things without breaking a sweat. And every little bit helps, this one trial wont prove much, but a compilation might. It really comes down to the point, are you willing to test the unknown. Most people seem content believing what they want to be believe, but they fear that maybe they might prove that these Characters don’t exist in anyway, or vise versa.

Well, for me, and I would think this holds true for a number of people, I’m happy that they are there period, and while I hope they are independent in such a way that they are their own entity, I’m perfectly happy with the fact that they are sentient and are there, even as a subset of my own subconscious. It isn’t going to break my heart if you prove they are a personification of part of my own mind just as long as they are there.

As long as your happy thats all that counts here, wether or not the characters are independent or not.

I agree that it is better to have a solid belief that can be tested-- and still prove true, than blindly following and rejecting any agrument that says otherwise.
I think it would certainly be interesting if characters could be used in the context of math, but I’m pretty sure most people who are driven to create characters will be less inclined to use them for such.
I certainly believe that if the right person creates a character with enough intent, though, Characters could be just as remarkable in helping to use the mind, as lucid dreaming.

Has anyone heard about the one lady who learned to skate through lucid dreaming in LaBerge’s book? Perhaps in the right context characters can move away from entertainment and could be used for more innate things, such as making us more aware of our recognition or other such skills: I.e. there are ten apples, instead of manually counting, it might be possible to get a character to get and transfer the information more immediately, so it seems an instananeous ability, rather than a process.

Also mentioned before, characters as a secondary memory is effective and akin to the ‘Memory House’ tech. :3

Just a thought.

Lairuna’s actually been trying to hypnotize me lately to help me sleep better. An impulsively inquisitive mind realized it was mingling with an impulsively awake one and an attempt to cull the sleeplessness was the result. It worked pretty well last night, but I had no recall. Hopefully that was just an off night because I’d hate to have to trade sleep for dream recall.

As for the cognitive skills…I dunno, in my opinion it’d be more practical to just train yourself than try to train yourself through a character, but then I don’t know anything about cognitive development, I’m more of a physics guy :tongue:

It’s cool that she was able to get you to sleep, I wonder if that would be useful with WILD? Maybe not… Especially if you couldn’t hold consciousness!
But I certainly think that it’s nice you and her can form a tangible(is that the right context?) result from your interactions.

Sorry, tangent. It’s not fun to have lost a dream recall! Do you get recall consistently?

Also, I agree that it is easier to train yourself, though perhaps some people may take more easily to using characters… Though I don’t believe that sentience would be at all ideal in that situation with characters.

Question:
Is it immoral to create ‘tool’ characters, with no sense of sentience?

If you want to speak extremely literally, tangible isn’t quite the word you want, but I don’t want to speak that way and I understand exactly what you mean, so I don’t think perfect really matters here.

I would do WILD, but I usually take about two hours to fall asleep. The two WILD’s I’ve done bumped that up to 3+ during the attempt. Lairuna’s experimenting last night cut that to just over one hour, which was AWESOME.

ALSO yes, I normally remember at least one dream every night, althoug occasionally I miss a night (Which is what I’m hoping last night was, just a normal off-night)

Great! It’s good that Lairuna was able to help with your WILD ^^ Maybe you guys can cut it to even shorter!
Remember to try again when you guys have the chance, in the morning or afternoon :3 Chemical balances in the brain at those times are more prime :3

Did you guys try again last night?

Oh! No, she’s never actually helped me with a WILD. I just worded all that poorly. What I meant was that when I try to WILD I take an ungodly long time to fall asleep, but when Lairuna does the Hypnosis thing I fall asleep faster than usual. The variable there was sleep time in general not sleep time when trying to WILD different ways. I’ve never tried a WILD alongside hypnosis. :peek:

Sometime when I actually have the time I ought to try a CALD/WILD, just to see if it’ll work better than my excruciatingly primitive “lie still and wait for a few hours” method :tongue:

Last night she helped me get to sleep again. It’s pretty cool, If only because I’ve actually never believed in hypnosis before. Probably what made her so interested in the idea in the first place. Her curiosity would get her killed if she weren’t…technically me. Truth is though I’m worried about what will happen when she gets bored of it. Maybe next she’ll try to see how long she can keep me awake :help:

Very cool! ^^ I’m sorry for the mix up, then.
If you ever attempt a CALD/WILD, let us know, it certainly sounds interesting!
Did you know too long without sleep will kill you? Be careful! :open_mouth:

I will somewhere down the line, there will probably be plenty of time for a bit after graduation. Maybe I should plan that as some kind of personal graduation celebration present or something XD

ALSO yeah, I know about that trouble. Did some fact-finding a while back when I was most concerned about my insomnia. It’s a scary thought, but I don’t think characters (or at least not any of mine) have that kind of distracting power. Plus my body can always knock itself out if it needs to :tongue:

Coolness! Lucidity adventure. Maybe you’ll find out something about yourself, how appropriate!

Survival basics at it’s best! It would be terrifying if our bodies didn’t react like that ah?

It’s good to her the positivity. :] Don’t forget to drop by the character chats if Lairuna want a bit of char-to-char conversation :]

~

I have quite a bit of experience with that, and my body very often knocks itself out when I’m trying to stay awake and talk to them. XP

yes. multiple times i’ll be talking to them, then the next thing i know, i’m waking up the next morning. :dream: bobby thinks it’s rude not to give warning, while jack/end end up falling asleep, too. :sleep:

i think i’m starting to get closer to my DC’s. i asked them to tell The Great Sub-Conscious that i needed to wake up at six the next morning. i woke up at 6:17am, which was three minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. :clap: i used tribemaker’s tech on having our DC’s “know” that i’m going to [i.e. go lucid, remember my dreams, or wake up at a certain time]. i’m going to work on improving my internal alarm.

tomorrow, i’ll see if we can’t debate on if my gym teacher is evil or not. that should get bobby chatting endlessly. ^^;

Yeah, I think it’s rude too, so I only talk to the ones I’m really close to if I know I’m going to fall asleep. Doesn’t really make for good first impressions. :meh:

I always talk to both Thunzar and Desmond at night before I fall asleep. They don’t mind when I suddenly cut off from them lol because they are use to it and when I fall asleep, it’s duty calls for them XD

Their assigned duty is to…protect me away from nightmares~! :grin:
I used to experience nightmare about twice a month? That was 4 years ago before Desmond… now? Mmm… once or twice a year?
Even so I’m not afraid cause the nightmare can hardly pass off as one lol X) They always come to the rescue :grin:

That’s so great! ^^ I don’t know… My characters don’t seem to get so offended. I guess we know what’s going to happen once I get sleepy… It’s not so much a personal thing?

I think it’s awesome that Desmond and Thunzar protect you from scary dreams! ^^ Built in dream catchers! I wonder if other characters could help in this too?
Then again, nightmares are interesting oppurtunities to get to know yourself and your anxieties if you go lucid…

But yes :3

Out of curiousity, how did everybody come to find CALD, anyways? I never really realized that I never knew how people found out about it… Just randomly stumbling onto it?

I haven’t had (or remembered anyway) a nightmare since I was five, so I don’t know anything about that. I’ve always sort of wanted one though, I love emotional dreams. It’s like TA said, you get to see your deepest concerns straight from the source!

How I came across CALD?
Not much of a story, but there’s something here I guess.

I’d actually come across the topic a couple of times randomly about a year ago, but I didn’t read into it any and sort of assumed that it had to do with asking a DC in a dream to remind you later that you’re dreaming. It wasn’t until I started getting back into the habit of reading people’s dream journals that I thought about it again and stumbled across the topic anew. I forget exactly what led me here but I’m glad it did, otherwise I may never have found out about all of you!

Hehe yep nightmares are nice because they usually trigger my lucidity XD
After that, I’ll bash them up and fly off somewhere else lol.

I’ve came across this thread when I was looking for useful methods to LD.
I can’t believed I missed this thread out you know :cry:
If I’ve known C.A.L.D earlier, I wouldn’t feel like a freak for the past 4 years XD

I’m sure I’ve already said before, but for the spirit of the thread, I discovered it a few years back in the signature of someone at DV. It looked interesting so I clicked on it and ended up here. :smile: