Different styles of flying

Swimming in the air worked fine tonight :content:

The best method for me has always been growing wings, I usually grow my wings while I’m on the ground, super jump into the air and then just glide, I have great control, I feel like I’ve always had wings and I just know how to use them, when I want to turn I just bank left or right. When I want to go faster I just put my arms and wings back a bit and dive slightly, then catch the wind with my newly acquired speed. and stopping is really easy, you just use them like airbrakes. It’s real fun too, feeling the wind on your wings is an awesome experience.

I’ve used other methods, like just taking off and flying, but I find that my control is never as good.

Two nights ago I flew for the first time and I used the thermal of an approaching thunderstorm to glide like an eagle. The up lift of the thermal felt like I was sucked into the air. It wasn’t a LD, because it felt so real that I actually believed I could fly on the edge of a huge thunderstorm (just like a tornado can suck stuff in the air) :tongue:

When I fly in a lucid dream I just fly like in the anime DragonBall .

just had my best lucid dream yet wanted to fly…so i flew a bunch of diff ways(sitting indian style superman, neo style just like i was to if i was surfing)…flying is easy for me…just believe

Welcome studentofthemind! :wave: Why don’t you introduce yourself over at the introductions topic? :content:

Also, you said it, believing is the first thing ^^ but as a quick note of aid, if you can see ourself doing it in a daydream, you can do it the same way in dreams :happy: for imagination is of the same matter as dreams are.

I guess it’s not normal, but my default mode of moving in my LDs is floating. Seems as soon as I get lucid, I get turned into a spectre, and yes, I can sometimes float right through doors blocking my way. I can also glide, in fact in many of my LDs my first impulse is to jump out of my window so I can survey the city and find where to go next.

Heh, another window jumper, eh?

Last year, or the year before - can’t remember - I used to have a lot of dreams where I’d jump out of a window in a dream. It became such a theme that on a few occasions I actually managed to become lucid that way.

As a kid i had many dreams about flying, and to be frank it’s one of mine primary task in LD… But about few years back i had LD where i start flying after i was falling of a cliff, and there was a moment of clarity, it has to be a dream… And then i had no idea what is lucid dreaming, but it’s when I started to be curious about LD. It was a beautiful place, i would say a place that you can only imagine… I don’t remember anything special about stile of flying, only that I was flying around this valley feeling happy, and it’s a dream that i just can’t forget! Hope to have much more dreams where I’m flying!

Your post shows something that I think is very important : if you don’t think/know you need a “style” of flying, then you don’t need one, you can “just do it”. This is probably true for everyone, as dreams are influenced by our expectations.

I’ve done these in my dreams so far (Normal and Lucid):
-Swimming (it’s quite easy but slow)
-Falling and gliding (My favorite style so far)
-Fly using my own mind to control the way of flying
-Superman style (my other favorite way of flying. I can go with super speed to everywhere)

I really want to try out the following methods:
-Fly within a transparent object (in a bubble maybe)
-Fly with car, spaceship or bicycle (;p) etc.
-Hover (this isn’t really flying but sounds interesting )
-Fly with my own wings
-Fly with animals (dragons, birds, fictional beings…)
-etc… (I don’t have any ideas for now) :shrug:

I worked out the strangest way of flying last time. I tried swimming method but I couldn’t get any altitude for some reason, just hovered a bit above the ground. What I ultimately did, was jump, then jump again in the air, “double jumping” like some video game character to fly around. It wasn’t very effective.

Same! i just kinda levitata and just start flying around like they do on DBZ :smile:
I didn’t think that flying would be so hard for anyone else O_O

thanks for the tips! this is one thing that i’m looking forward to most in LD

Have you ever tried asking a DC to help you?

I just asked something like “I’m sorry, can you make me fly up to outer space?”. I got really high, but a FA happened.

On my only one lucid dream, a levitated when i thought about levitating, we can move that way too right?
And if u just couldn’t fly, like i couldn’t…
Well…
I was in a building, there was a huge window and i realised the building was as tall as a skyscraper, i charged towards the window and jumped off, and i kinda glided up and forced myself to fly, it worked, i was going through clouds when an aeroplane was flying in front of me, I panicked and lost concentration, then i fell from there and there was a smashing sound then red, then total blackness…
Then I woke into another dream, before it could start I woke up late for school -_-
My advise is,
While trying this method of flying, beware of aeroplanes :razz:

I usally can’t fly very well but thnx I will test these out :smile:

a good method is to combine the ‘Matrix’ style (in which Neo bends the air around him [NOT AIRBENDING] and pushes off) and the wings style, so you can accelerate and glide, plus go at high speeds

Recently I’ve gotten into the habit of gliding, Kingdom Hearts style. Less control than on a broomstick, but I can do it without having to spawn anything beforehand.

I tried to imagine having the carpet from Aladdin, such a stupid idea. I should have a real one instead cuz it didnt work >.<