Different styles of flying

I’m definitely a superman style flyer; I imagine a thrust coming out of my feet to propel myself forward. I control where I go either by changing body orientation or “willing” myself a certain way.

Speed is controlled by the amount of thrust imagined, I can go anywhere from a swimming like crawl to circling the globe several times a second.

I have also tried broomstick flying, which is quite entertaining, as well as creating my own wings (this was difficult, it was so odd to have new muscles), and using various vehicles for flight.

My first flying was like a bird. Didn’t work out that well. In a later LD, I bacame lucid underwater, and I couldn’t see anything, so I went into a Superman pose and blasted my way out of there. I like that method. It gives me a feeling of power.

I fly like peter pan. I can hover, fly fast or slow. It gives you alot of controll. :happy:
I have my arms behind me and my face first. It’s great for flying indoors or in clear weather. :smile: When it’s really rainy or lighting :dark: (Like in my other dream) Peter pan style doesn’t seem to work as well, so i just use superman in bad weather. :cool:

Has anyone ever tried several flying methods and compared their effectiveness? A few I’ve been thinking off:

1. Jumping:
    The most obvious method. The only method I’ve ever tried. I’ve been trying this throughout my two longer lucid dreams, jumping like a mad grasshopper. Once, I focussed so much on staying in the air that my dream blurred and became a normal dream.
  2. Bouncing:
    This method would be similar to jumping, but takes place on a springy surface such as a trampoline.
  3. Falling:
    A method I’ve been planning to do for a long time, but never had the time to do. It involves finding somewhere high in one’s dream, such as a roof, and falling or floating off it. Usually combined with jumping. For this method confidence is especially consequential as it makes the difference between flying and crashing. The latter may cause one to wake up.
    If one is outdoors, imagining a ladder or elevator going up into the sky may be useful.
  4. Visualization:
    A more gradual method in which one visualizes slowly floating from the ground. A mirror may be useful.
  5. Climbing:
    This is a method my father said he used. He climbed through the air as if it were a jelly, which I suppose would be comparable to swimming. Once he’d got high enough, he would float through the jelly.
  6. Vehicle:
    A method Steve Leberge described in A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams, it involves using a flying vehicle (which may be an airplane, a helicopter, a science-fiction aircraft, a large bird or with some more training an object or animal which normally does not fly at all, such as a horse or car) as an initiator to one’s flight, upon which one flies on one’s own accord by jumping from the vehicle.
  7. Fake Wings:
    Imagine having fake wings, either mechanical ones like Icarus had (or perhaps an ornithopter, as Leonardo designed), or as extra limbs. This might make it easier to imagine that one could fly. We tend to feel flying is impossible even in our dreams because we are used to reality, thus it may be easier to use a method which is most in accordance with reality.

Anything else?

Moved from Quest for Lucidity. :dragon:

In many of my ND’s I float on the wind and swim along. I don’t know how useful that would be in an LD though.

I just take a running start and jump up and will myself to stay up.
It works well for me, but ive never flown for a very long time with it

My favorite method is to shoot up in the air like a rocket and its really fast too :cool:

To maintain the flight I float on the air and I find it very relaxing.

I have one method of flying: Jump from a high place and miss the ground :razz: should work, my father used to say that.

Hehe I tried flapping my arms and it works :happy:
Usually I tried imagining wings on my back but that only makes me hover at most…

I like jumping the most…
It’ incredibly cool.

Bouncing is probably most easy for the brain. In the LD4all guide, it says some techniques.

i would try transforming yourself into a flying animal. this way it is simply, just flap your wings, als fi you can find a cliff jump off the cliff withh your wings and fly man FLY!

Ah, but then you have the problem of transforming yourself … most people find it simpler to just fly :wink:

I just run and jump. Simple as that.

:happy:

Normally, I run and jump.

HOWEVER, sometimes, I can’t for some reason… In that case, I sprout wings! Ifind that quite simple… Don’t know about others

/me prefers bat wings if any kind… :cool_raz:

if anyone has seen the show Avatar the Last Airbender then i would like to fly like Aang ( one of the main characters) he flys on his glider kind of like a giant paper airplane

^yea that would be cool.

i just ‘will’ myself to float up and fly. but i usually end up floating down again so maybe i’ll try another method

The only thing thats worked for me is pushing off the ground with your hand while laying down and then floating around the ground for a while, then eventually you will yourself to float up

isnt it strange how everyone reports certain positions as acting the same way. I mean at the end of the day, it is only our subconcious that is governing this and they should be as different as we all are. But even if you’ve never really watched superman and you dont know what kind of speed he flies at, doing the superman in an ld will make you fly fast and be difficult to steer. Its weird how everyone reports the same thing, isn’t it?

1 Like

How about bein launched by a car?
And making rolls in the air.
Gravity cotrol…yum :smile:

Use cellphone as a control, steer with the buttons :grin: I did this last night and it works :tongue: