Different styles of flying

I was once flying in a red biplane at a truly ridiculous height, and another time I hovered about six inches off the ground while doing mach 1, but in general I tend to prefer teleportation to flying in lds. (for some reason it always seems to come easier for me)

1 Like

What usually happens is I run and jump out my kitchen window, and swim/glide around, usually landing in my backyard or in the field near my house.

I moved your topic in an already existing one in Adventures describing flying styles and techniques ~Q

Talk about flying positions. I’m just curious :tongue:

Here is a list of all the flying positions that I have learned, complete with a speed/pros/cons list.

1) Air-swimming
I never tried this one before, so personally I have little say on it.

2) “Coat hanger position”
Where you are just ‘standing’ in mid-air with your arms spread out fully. In this position you can flap your arms to obtain height.
Speed: Very Slow
Pros: Easiest flying position to learn, easiest to master
Cons: Very slow, sometimes hard to obtain height in this position

3) “Hang glider position”
Almost like the first one except you’re going faster and you are flying head-first (if you know what I mean). In situations where you are going fast, your arms are almost all the way back.
Speed: Medium Fast
Pros: Slightly easy to learn, slightly easy to master, faster than the coat hanger position
Cons: Sometimes wind can hinder flight

4) “Superman Position A”
Really, explains itself. You are flying like Superman with one fist in front of you.
Speed: Very Fast
Pros: This position can be faster than most, if not all of, the other positions.
Cons: Hard to master, sometimes it can be hard to control your flight at first

5) “Superman Position B”
Really, explains itself. Instead of flying with one fist in front of you, you are flying with both fists in front of you.
Speed: Very Fast
Pros: This position can be faster than most, if not all of, the other positions.
Cons: Hard to master, sometimes it can be hard to control your flight at first

6) “Hover Craft Position” - NEW
This one I just learned last night. You are in the sitting position (hence the title) and you put your hands just below your bottom. Your hands will be propelling you in your flight.
Speed: Slow/Medium Fast/Very Fast
Pros: Looks cool, can go very fast, slightly easy to master
Cons: Starts out slow, not able to go very high until fast speeds are reached

Isn’t there something like this in lucid adventures?

Anyways, I don’t do that stuff… I need to grow wings and fly… the only way I can in LDs! Plus it feels so cool… the feeling of flapping wings…

My ways to fly in LD’s have been:

Flapping :tryfly: (a classic one :cool: ) I dont need to explain it :razz:

Superman-style This one goes really fast :hyper:

Telekinesis Use your hands to lift yourself, simple :wink:

Jump to ground and miss Always wanted to test, but I hesitate when Im close to ground :cry:

Please move this thread to the adventures :silent:

hmm, in nonlucids before I discoverd LD’s:

1.plane- sorta like flying like superman only you can stall :smile:
2. energy coming from arms
3.floating in a shallow kiddie pool without a pool and on the street
4.floating like a bubble
5.1km jumps
6.flapping

after I was able to LD I can now fly more or less as I please- like peter petrelli. Once I swam in the air- nothing like having airwater resisting against your suit :smile: however I was jut enjoying the moment and knew I could fly normally at any point.
I don’t have to use any effort to fly- in fact flying is my main dreamsign. I once heard that even experienced dreamers experience control issues however the only time that has ever happened to me was when I read that :smile:

I do the easy way: I usually swim, because I don’t believe in myself when I try to fly. The speed is slow, and I don’t get very high up in the air. It is boring.

I also run and jump. But as I said, I don’t believe in myself. Sometimes I slide down to the ground like a seagull, but it is most bouncing up and down when I try. I bounce 5-20 meters up in the air. When I’ve first started bouncing, I don’t walk until I wake up. Bouncing is my new walk.

A witches broom is also usable, though I only have used it in a ND. This one is weird, and I get a lot more controll of the speed and height. I’ve only tried it indoors (;p) so don’t know if I get scared of the heights on a witches broom. Haha. I should tray a magic carpet. Maybe that feels more safe?

hahaha nice ones :smile:

I used the hot air balloon technique; catch air to go up, spill air to come down. It was very windy so it was sort of a medium speed. It seemed like the wind was always blowing where I wanted to go :content: All you really need is something to catch the air with.

There was also a dream where I could simply jump really well (like over a skyscraper) Not quite flying but it’s very fast though I wouldn’t suggest it if you’re afraid of heights.

It’s so cool how every lucid dreamer has their own uniQue way of flying :smile: :fly:
I have merged this topic into an already existing one about flying styles, so all flyers have an easy way to be inspired for their new flying style :content:

I posted in this topic about my “swimming on the wind” technique already. But since then I’ve had a few flying LD’s and I fly a lot more like a rocket ship now. I don’t put my arms out in front like Superman… they stay by my sides (cuts down on wind resistance obv). I wouldn’t mind a little more speed though.

Also it seems that when I fly to high I wake up.

wow there’s probably more written in this one thread then there is in complete compilation guides for become lucid in the first place. anyway keep up the good work and I am absolutely loving some of these techniques the amount of imagination is through the roof and hopefully the same will be so with my flight path :smile:

PS: I’ve not managed to fly yet however it looks like there’s plenty to try in this field.

What about flying on a broom, I mean like Harry Potter or some kind of a witch. Has anyone tried this one?

yeah iv done that. Harry potter’s firebolt, god it was fast. i reckon about 120 mph cus iv done 110 in a car irl and it was faster than that but not too much. gr8 fun, but iv never remembered to do it again. i’ll add it to the list for the next LD

I’ve been flying in my ND since I was a kid and it is always the same for me like scuba diving. I control my height by the amount of air in my lungs. If I have alot of air I go higher, less air I go lower. Holding my breath at any certain level I pick up speed going in which ever direction I am headed. It works the same in my LD’s.

Telekinesis, I just hold out my arms and lift myself of the ground. I haven’t done it that much though so I couldn’t really say if I’m capable of attaining great heights or speeds.

For me the most effective way is to feel like you can fly. imagine rockest shooting from under your feet and zoom into the air! Once your high enough you can steer better by spreading out your arms and gliding like a bird :smile:

I finally got to try it in a LD outdoors. It works fine for me. I was a little afraid to fall off, but once I got some speed, it was cool. I just have to think, feel and live like Harry Potter.

Every time I become lucid and attempt to fly, I instead shoot straight up in the air and have absolutely no control as I watch the entire dream scape disappear beneath me. Instead of lightly lifting off the ground, I feel like I just got shot out of a cannon. Right after, I wake up.

Any ideas on how I could give myself a little more control while flying in my dreams?

merged into existing flying topic in Adventures

These suggestions just might help :smile:

Try imagining a crane slowly pulling you up. When you are on a suitable altitude, let go?
Try saying: “Flying control all green/stable/good/whatever you feel well with :smile: