Dream Diary program

moved to pathways since software is posted here :moogle:

I didn’t know, where to put that, so it landed here.
I wrote a small program, which may help to keep a dream diary on a computer. It has many functions, like:
-Encryption. If you don’t want anybody to read your diary, you can encrypt it and only you will be able to read it.
-It shows dreams in a tree, it’s similar to folders in file system. On highest level, it is divided by years. Then each year has “subfolders”, months. Each month’s subfolders are days, and dreams are the files. If you have many dreams in the diary, it may be very useful.
-You can assign a type and a technique to each dream. Then you can see statistics - how many dreams of each type you had. You can also write, how long the dream was, but at the moment it has no use.

You can download it here (881 kB). I hope you will like it :smile:

PS. I’m not sure, if I translated everything :tongue:. If you see something in Polish, please let me know, and I’ll fix that. Also, if you encounter any problems or errors, please write about it - as far as I tested it, it should work well, but of course I could miss something.

Interesting! I’ll check it out.

WOW! Grate program!
If I didn’t already write a real life journal, I would have used this program! :content:

(Not that I have checked out many others, but anyways…)

Cool, this is great. I’m to lazy to keep a written one, this’ll help me alot, cheers Mate.

That diary does have some great functions, I like the area at the top which displays the type, technique and duration. The statistics are also really useful and convenient.
Some setbacks are that you can’t export dream journal entries, you can’t format the text colour, font, size etc or any other Word standard functions.
It’s a great start to a dream journal program, and if it were developed to incorporate more functions (and made to look a bit funkier) I would definitely switch. :yes:

Thank you :smile:
I will try to improve the program. I think I can add text formatting quite easy. I don’t know what you mean by exporting entries - if you mean copying to text files or sth I think Copy-Paste works good enough :smile: Making it to look funkier may be hard for me, I was never really good at these things, but I will try.

I think he means you can export it so It becomes a word, notepad, wordpad, openoffice file. But I might be wrong.

Yah - exporting/importing with Word for example.
Can you imagine having to cut three years worth of journal entries, each one separately, and pasting into/out of your usual journal program? Eeek! :angry:
That aside, I still quite like your program :content:

Hmm, you’re right. Exporting to Word documents is possible, I will try to add it, but importing… It would be much harder. The program would have to be able to recognize beginning and ends of dreams in plain text, and it is not easy, if there is no rule like for example new line and word “Dream” at the beginning of entry…

I just downloaded the program and have already uploaded several of my dreams from my online dream journal on Dreams Box into it. I think I’ll use this instead now.

Did you use Visual Basic to make the program by chance? When I was majoring in computer programming, that was my favorite programming language that I learned to use and the way the program is set up reminds me of it in a way.

No, I used C++ Builder.

EDIT: Success :smile: I have added the text-formatting function to the program. The newest version is available at the same link.

That’s much better, now there’s a Font button! :content:

Are you planning on adding anything more to the program?

If I find out how to make it look better, I will try to do this. Also, if you have any ideas how to make the program better, I’ll implement them if only I’m able to :smile: So don’t hesitate and write, what would you make better, and I’ll be grateful for your suggestions :smile:

That’s pretty cool I might start using it.

Well, since you said that - it would be great if you could get rid of the ‘05 -May’ so it just says ‘May’. Also it might be useful to include your email or some form of contact details in the ‘about’ section so users can contact you easily :content:
Hmmm… I’m seriously considering switching diaries if your program keeps progressing this fast :yes: All you need now are cute little icons instead of dialogue boxes, and I’m sold :tongue:

I made it like that because this way the months are sorted correctly. If it said just ‘May’, the months would be sorted alphabetically, and for example ‘January’ would be after ‘February’… There is a way to avoid this, but it’s not as easy as simply adding a number to month :razz: But if you say it would be better, I’ll try to improve this.

OK, good idea, I will do this.

Hmm… Could you explain it a little more? If you mean for example buttons for changing font properties instead of font dialogue box, it could be done. But I can’t think of any other dialogue box, that can be replaced like that.

Thank you for your suggestions :smile:

EDIT: Ok, getting rid of that numbers in month names was easier than I thought. It’s done :content:

One very minor suggestion I have is for the ‘exit’ function.

I’m not sure how easy this is to do for C++ (as I’ve never used it and I have the best experience with Visual Basic and it’s rather simple with VB), but instead of just automatically exiting when you click ‘exit’ under the File menu, perhaps a message box could pop up asking the user to confirm that they want to exit?

I mean, given the setup, I don’t think it’s very impossible that someone will accidentally click ‘Exit’ when they don’t intend too. I believe would prove to be a bit annoying, especially after writing dreams in it and the program closes before the user can save.

Just a small idea.

Thanks, good idea :smile: It’s done :smile:

I just found something that might need correcting.

I just copied a dream I posted in my Live Journal two years ago. I was planning to paste it in the journal like I did with the other dreams I’ve copied and pasted from where I’ve posted elsewhere. But now nothing happens when I try to right click to paste it.