Fellow dreamers - how to know

[mod] Moved to GL from Beyond. General LD with a basic SD question tagged on.

You may wish to check out the Big Shared Dreaming Topic though. Here [/mod]

I just had the most amazing long lucid dream this morning, and I am wondering what is the best way to tell if a character is made by your subconscious or is it another real dreamer/whoever?

I tried making up an order (to get up and walk a few steps to the left) for someone in my mind, then I pointed my hand to her, and then when that didn’t work, I shouted it out loud.
If it’s your DC, then it would have to obey you. But that’s not a very good way to know, is it? :bored: Or perhaps there there is a unique feeling you get when a real being is present ‘nearby’?

There is no real way of knowing, unless it is planned and you know the other dreamer.

That said, DCs don’t have to obey you at all. I don’t know what made you think that a DC will always do what you tell it, because it isn’t true. You have to remember dreams (even lucid ones) are created and “run” from the Subconscious mind, when lucid we are trying to override the subconscious control with conscious control.

Control over the dream world is not guaranteed just because you are lucid. I’ve had many LDs where I couldn’t even change the location, that doesn’t mean that I was in someone else’s dream, I just didn’t have enough control. I would say you just had a regular LD with a low level of control.

So does that mean anyone can ‘break into your dream’ without you even being aware of it?

P.S. She did do what I said though. :smile:

No , even if “dreamwalking” (thats how this supposed skill is called ) existed , it woulod be VERY difficult for anyone to just “hack” your dreams without alerting you i think …

I think it varies from time to time. Sometimes they may just be created within your own head, and other times they may be something else. A dreamer? A disembodied spirit? A sentient being who you stumbled across and has chosen to pull an image from your mind to appear as? This is one of the fun parts of dreaming, and that is determining for yourself what these characters mean \ embody. I usually go with my initial gut reaction to the DC’s.

It could have been anything/anyone. I may have my spirit guide pop into my dreams from time to time, but she wouldn’t take an order from me like that. More than likely just laugh it off or do something random :puh: Shes a part of me, of course, but with a definite mind of her own. Other spirits is always a possibility, just not as common, but why not?
Many times dream characters will be people we have seen or met; I’ve actually remembered people I hadn’t thought about in years or even forgotten this way.
It may also be someone you will meet; I have met someone who has met people in their dreams years before they meet the person in real life. :eek: Its AWESOME! But only time will thell there.
It may just be a figment of your imagination after all; Even when people are conscious enough in dreams, what we may say is not neccesarily what we want; in other words, next time you try to command a dream character, you have to try and want whatever it is more than anything else, rather than "oh well I want you to listen to me so I think I might tell you to move (or whatever you do tell them). Even then I can’t say for sure he/she will listen to you.
I hope this makes sense and it helps!

assuming dcs are real and observing them like you would real people helps dreams be more meaningful and genuine

they aren’t real if they disappear and decay and have no real intelligence to them.

i would pose an idea that all dcs are REAL until we approach them and then o ur lucidness causes the real dreamers to split away from us as we interact with their shell,

doesn’t EVERYONEdream about being in school? yeah, so why wouldn’t they be real ? or why wouldn’t they? i’d have to see… and how would i ?