First steps to WILD part II (for basic WILD Q&A)

@ My Limbs feel the need to tense
I’ve heard that just before starting the relaxation tensing all the muscles in you body, and then relaxing them can help.

@ I can’t be stuffed counting

There are a number of techniques other than counting. Such as as

VILD (Visualising a dream scene)
DEILD (Re-entering a dream whilst staying aware)
FILD (moving your fingers to stay conscious)
You can also make up your own ways of staying aware… I have tried things like listening to a song a few times before going to bed and then letting my mind play it back to me. (Like when a record gets stuck in your head) Anything that prevents you from losing awareness, is worth trying. :smile:

i need help with WILD. I was really close to having a Wild and i panicked when i started hallucinating. Since then i cant even get into the same state of sleep. I was entering my dream when i had this hallucination but since i panicked i opened my eyes and it was all ruined. now i can barely get into the Hypnagogic state without getting really focused and less relaxed.
any suggestions?

also to clarify what happened i was in sp and i was focusing on my breathing and HI and then i felt this rush of energy and i saw this blue shining god-like figure when i woke up. Was i entering my dream?

It sounds to me like you were shaftmonkey. You just have to keep trying now and I’m sure you will get a WILD soon :grin: The first encounter with WILD is quite startling. You’ll find it isn’t as frightening next time.

im posting this because after thinking about the terrifying HI that i can encounter i just made more ways to scare myself. i mean lots of ways each more terrifyng than the next i tried last nite and i remained calm until i heard a growling followed by screaming and crying and i freaked out. Through the whole time i kept my eyes closed but i never felt anything on my body like some people do i just kepthearing worse things, then i woke up and nothing was there.

Got any advice?

Whenever I try to watch my body to fall asleep it seems like I’m concentrating too much on it and it feels like it isn’t working and I can’t feel any numbness after what feels like an hour. Any suggestions? :help:

count in your head

@ chickenleggz: stop with WILD. If you’re afraid, it’s not interesting, you’ll go nowhere.

@ kt4ll: Don’t concentrate too much on it. :wink:

More seriously, you should try another WILD technique. Counting or something like that. And by the way, do you practise relaxation first ?

thanks a lot guys i think im gettin closer

hmm, im kinda stuck with wild. Im doing the WBTB method, i set my alarm for 4.5 hours after i go to bed, and wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off… i find that if i spend a while out of bed, i become to awake, so i usually go, grab a drink, read for like 10 mins, then go to bed.

Once im in bed i do a relaxation technique, focusing on points on your body. Then i do the counting method. The past few times, i got to 100, then did an RC, nothing, then counted to 100 again, but usually on the second time counting, my body loses its senses, like, i cant feel my body. I stay calm, continue counting, then i get a ringing in my ears, then after a bit, i think i get HI, im not sure, but its a very faint swirl of colours, kinda like water rippling. Then my body feels like its spinning. and then it feels like im standing, but my body is laying down.

I usually stop counting, just letting this continue, but when i do my RC, still nothing.

I usually am able to count to 100, two to three times, any more than that, and i just dont seem tired enought.

Last night, i tried WILD, and i got to 100 3 times, then after that, i couldn’t get back to sleep. I tried reading, meditation, listening to one of the lucid mp3’s. but i just couldnt seem to get back to sleep.

any suggestions?

Here are some possible directions:

• don’t go out of your bed when you practice WBTB. It’s not necessary with WILD and it looks like your mind is awake too much. Or just stay out of bed shorter.
  • you don’t need to practice RC’s unless you think you’ve got too much moments when you entered a dream without noticing it. When you do a (physical) RC, it stops the falling asleep process, then you generally have to start the whole from the beginning.
  • when you felt your body was spinning, or you felt like you were standing, you were certainly very near to a LD. Then you should have done something in order to enter a LD, for instance increasing the spinning movement, or rolling out of your bed, or trying to move in some maneer. For instance, if you feel you’re standing, you can look down and imagine a ground on which you’re walking.

Good luck! :smile:

thanks, i tried again last night, although, i wasnt awake enough this time around… i did WBTB but, as soon as i went back to bed… i fell asleep :sad:

The whole SP thing freaks me out, I know they can’t harm you in any way but the thought of something “evil” near by and not being able to move is scary as hell.

For some reason I’m confident that if I try WILD I might acheive some sort of success, but the SP stage is stopping me from trying. Any advice on how to overcome this dumb fear?

face your fear and try it.

Well, heres what I can tell you from my limited experience. I tried WILD many times, but only got remotely successful once or twice. during these tow times, I successfully began to feel HP sensations, and I couldn’t feel my body and entered a minor version of SP, but all I saw were blots of colors. Maybe its just because I didn’t do well enough at it, but I never saw any images that scared me.

you’ll only see scary images, if you expect them to be there. Just simply clear your mind before attempting a WILD, and think about positive things.

if you think about something you enjoy before you start your wild process it should just clear your mind of anything that scares you. My problem is i cant get past the spinning feeling and make it into a full blown dream. Then again i dont wbtb cause it seems liek such a nuisance.

The idea of thinking about positive things is definitely interesting. :happy: You can think about your spirit guide and ask for a little push in the right direction, for instance.

You’re likely to not experience SP during WILD. As red29216 told it, it’s a very minor sort of SP. Your body is not paralyzed, it’s just numb. It sounds like some people experience true SP during WILD, but I think it’s because they are already subject to the SP trouble. And by the way, even in this case, SP is not synonym of visual hallucinations or feeling of a presence.

Then you should absolutely find a time when you can do it quietly. WILD’ing without WBTB is supposedly possible, but you’ll certainly make a lot more efforts - though it’s not completely in vain, you’ll learn how to relax, how to recognize hypnagogic state and find what technique is better for you.

i tried WILD for the first time last night i was expereianceing the HI ppl are talking about. i did not get very much SP. i actuly heard music that was not there but could not make out what it was (it was very strange music). my heart stared racing so i calmed down and tryed again soon enugh i felt as if i was falling then i could see i was falling through darkness it was for only a few seconds. I hit the bottem and my body actuly shuddered as if i had been falling and i gave up and went 2 sleep.

any ideas on what happened?

The beginning of a successful WILD, apparently. :smile: But it was interrupted by what is called a “myoclonic jerk”.

About the heart racing, it’s a common beginner problem. From my own experience, it’s not real. It’s due to the time estimation messing in your mind. Thus it’s certainly a sign that we’re falling asleep.

About the heart racing, I think it’s due to the fact that when you are on the verge of sleep, you no longer hear what happens in your environment (even if the room is quiet).
Indeed, this connection between your ears and the room disappears and from this moment on, you hear (if conscious) your heartbeat because it’s the unique source of noise inside yourself.

That’s my point of view, maybe I’m wrong.

And about the distorted perception of time, I think Basilus is right because he compared his heartbeat to the clicking noise of his clock in his room ==> they were matching together.