First Steps to WILD part VI (Basic WILD Q&A)

You mentioned that in your other WILD attempts you were too focused on your body, that could be part of it. Also, HI is really only a dream forming, so it may be that you had mostly fallen into deep sleep before where there was no dream or you simply didn’t notice/remember.

I know I’ve had a few times where I begin experiencing HI and then something disturbs me. Within a few moments I forget what the HI was, and only know that it happened because I was thinking about it.

Hey guys, in the past I’ve tried WILD when going to sleep a couple of times but never got very far and didn’t see any HI. Well, 2 days ago I somehow managed to go into a full state of HI without even intending to, and without needing to relax my body for ages beforehand. I was lying in my bed trying to get to sleep at about 11am after having been repeatedly woken up by my alarm and falling back to sleep for the last few hours. I closed my eyes for maybe a minute and then started drifting to sleep, and for some reason I thought I was lying on my floor. Then all of a sudden, like a wave crashing over me I saw gray static and heard strange noises, and felt as though I was out of my body. I realized what was happening so I tried to visualize a dream space to enter and then the HI faded away after 10 seconds, and that was it.

But then yesterday I managed to do it again. It was also in the morning when I was trying to get back to sleep, and I thought I’d try imagining I was on my floor and see if it would trigger it again. To my surprise it worked, and the same thing happened with about 10 seconds of HI and strange noises which then faded away.

So my question is, what can I do to stop it ending so quickly and what should I do to enter the dream once I get into that state?

Hey there and welcome :wave:

HI can be really sensitive, specially in the beginning. You should try to just relax and stay aware. Just passively observe it for a while. after a while it should get a little more stable. You might hear some sounds and see some more detailed images… or not. Try to look at it in a more exploratory way, instead of focusing too much on what you would want to see and about entering the dream right away. They key is remaining aware as the dream forms itself.

When I get HI, right at the start, if I even “notice it too much” it goes away. If I’m able to let it evolve a little I can pay some more attention, but if I move my eyes (or “dream eyes”) to look at specific parts of it, it will go away. Then I’m able to look around gently, but that’s it. Anyway, this all depends on so many things too. Some people don’t even get HI… ever. And that’s ok.

I never got so far I slept, I always gave up after like 5minutes because inverses blinking showed me I amn’t tired enough anymore (could move my eyelids easily again). Shall I just wait and try to not concentrate on anything?

Well, you do want to make sure that you’re fairly relaxed before you try it. If you don’t feel tired, wait a bit until you feel like you are falling asleep. Just make sure you don’t accidentally let things go too far and you actually do fall asleep :wink:

Also, if you’re having trouble with eyelids moving/trying to open, try reverse blinking for a bit. Keep your eyes closed and then quickly open/close them. This usually tires them out after a while.

I am a beginner to lucid dreamer, what’s the best method to start, is it essential to stay still during WILD?

I strongly suggest the DJ above all if you are a beginner. After it has shown some good results, then go into methods. Try also some RC’s. For a very good “tutorial”, I recommend you to read Rathez’ Guide. That’s where I started off. :wink:

thank you so much, im reading through it right now, another question is, how can i increase my dream recall, i only occasionally remember dreams.

thank you

Hey, I’m new to this forum (and LDing in general), and I have some questions about WILD. I’ve looked at several FAQs, but since I can be a bit slow at learning some things at times, I just want to confirm some stuff.

1. I know that you generally need to be asleep for 5-7 hours beforehand, but what do I do afterwards? Do I just stay still? Do I need to wait for 30 minutes or something before attempting?

2. Do my eyes have to be closed?

3. The HI… I know they can be influenced by your SC and what you expect, but is there a way to control them so you don’t end up freaking out?

4. Also with the HI, will they just appear to be the only things I see, or will I see where I am with the HI just appearing in the background?

5. How long does this usually last? Staring at HI or listening to HS for an hour or so seems kind of freaky.

6. And finally, how will I know when I am almost in the LD?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Well first off, welcome! :content: Always good to see new members!

Now down to business. :lol:

1. If you’re talking about WILD, then yes, it’s better if you get 4.5 - 6 hours of sleep before attempting a WILD. However, I don’t think your WBTB (how long you stay up) needs to be more than a few minutes. A half hour could be all right, but five minutes or so would be fine too. It’s easier to wake up with an alarm that will shut off by itself and go back to sleep without moving (DEILD), but you can get up and move if you’d prefer. DEILD is generally easier than WILD, so I’d recommend that before WILD for someone who’s beginning.

2. Well, unless you fall asleep with your eyes open, I think it would be preferable to fall asleep with your eyes closed. :tongue:

3. I’ve rarely experienced HI with my few DEILDs and my one WILD, so I haven’t really gotten to try. It’s possible that you could, but it’s best that you simply let them come as they are. If you get too involved and your mind is too active you won’t fall asleep and transition into a dream like you want to. Personally, I don’t have much HI. My “transitions” usually involve blackness. It’s different for everyone, but I’d advise keeping yourself calm (if they DO end up scary) rather than trying to affect them.

4. Well, as I said, I don’t have much experience with HI. Most of my experience with it is when I wake up from being asleep for a half hour or so, and while I’m awake and my eyes are open, I’m left with images still there. However, when I’m still in early stages or half-asleep, it’s more like a dream. I don’t know where the spider themes come from when I wake up though… My mom heard me yelling one night at a different kind and usually if it’s a spider/spiderweb theme I’ll end up swatting at the air waiting for it to go away, hoping it’s HI. So I guess my answer would be is that it’s a bit more dream-like, but not to the point that you’re in it. More like vivid imagination, I guess. However, it can be, but not always, that it appears to be in your surroundings or on them, like what I described when I wake up sometimes. Again, it differs for everyone.

5. Well, I’d hope it wouldn’t take an hour. Some transitions are fast, and some are slower. There are some here that can pace themselves, but my transitions usually aren’t too long - a few minutes - though I can’t speak for the HI. As for the HI, I’m only speaking for what I’ve heard, read, and learned.

6. For me, I just “knew” when I was in the dream or when I was ready to go in. I’ve had various situations in my DEILDs and WILD, and it might be a bit long to post them all here. However, in general, in all of them I just “knew” when to go in. Don’t overthink it. My instinct was right. (My WILD was a bit different though. I just suddenly found myself RCing in darkness, which made me lucid. I don’t remember much before that. My DEILDs are more the ones where I remember my transitions better.)

Well, I hope this helps! Also, I’ll add a bit of my own suggestions in here. WILD isn’t really recommended for beginners (though of course you’re welcome to try), so I’d recommend DEILD, MILD, and WBTB instead at first. It’s usually better to try a WILD after you’re more familiar with LDs and sometimes DEILD. As I said, DEILD is easier than WILD, but the same concept. Even if you were asking all these questions about WILD, they still apply to DEILD.

Good luck on your quest for LDs, and welcome again! :content:

To start out, thanks for the welcome and the reply :smile:

I looked a bit at DEILD, but in a way that kind of seems tougher than WILD. It’s probably just me, but staying completely still after a dream just doesn’t really come naturally and easily.

Hello & Welcome to the forums. Personally, I’ve done WILD succesfully only 2 times, but I’ll try to share my experiences…

1. It’s your choice. When you wake up, you may immeadeately do a WILD, however I would suggest staying awake for a few minutes, otherwise, you may fall asleep instantly, losing consciousness. That happened to me a few times. On the other hand, when you wake up, you may do the WBTB technique, which involves being awake for around 20-30 minutes, reading something on the lucid dreaming topic. Therefore, if you fail at your WILD attempt and fall asleep, there is a chance that you will become lucid because you were just looking at the forums about LD.

2. Personally, I keep my eyes closed. You must fall asleep, and for me, it works best when I close my eyes. Although, I’ve heard here that a few people on this forum practice WILD with open eyes, though, I would find it hard to do.

3. The HI can indeed be controlled by your mind. Of course, a part of it depends on your subconscious, but if you’ve got some will, you may control them. However, I advise you not to get involved with them too much, as you may lose consciousness. I would suggest you looking at them passivelly, just like watching TV. That will prevent you from forgetting what you’re doing and losing consciousness.

4. The HI will appear as random colors/hallucinations. They will move across the blackness of your closed eyes. After HI, the HH will come. They will not be colors anymore, but instead, they will take forms of actual objects, like a car, apple etc. I don’t remember much from my HI, HH experiences, as at that time I’m in a trance-like state. I usually fully “wake up” and become aware in the dream.

5. It heavily depends on whether you are tired or not. If I have just awoken after 4-5 hours of sleep, I will be so tired, that I may enter a dream just in 5-10 minutes. The other WILD I did last for about 30 minutes, as I did it during an afternoon nap and I wasn’t that tired. If it lasts for hours, even when you wake up after 4,5 hours of sleep, it means that you concentrate far too much. Try to relax more. Think as little as possible, forget your IRL body, don’t think about stuff like: “This is probably the HI”, “I’m now in SP”, “Oh, now I see the HH. Maybe I’ll succeed at this WILD attempt”. In short, don’t think about your IRL body, WILD, LD etc. Keep you thoughs, especially about sleeping, WILD and IRL as far as possible. You are supposed to forget your IRL body while still being conscious. On the other hand, if you’re doing WILD during an afternoon nap, and seem to do everything right, and it still lasts for hours, you may be simply not tired. If you’re fully outslept, you will not fall asleep again.

6. The dream will gradually form from the HH. At first it will be some simple objects, after some time, you will see complete scenes. Signs that you are in a dream and may take over the control are: you have a vision of a complete scene, you see many objects, you feel your dream body, your senses such as hearing and touch are working…
    If you notice that you’re in a dream, you may then step into it.

Good luck on your WILD attempts :smile:

Well, staying still and keeping your eyes closed when you wake up can take a bit of practice as well, but once you practice it, it’s not so hard. And even so, if you end up moving some, it doesn’t mean your attempt is ruined. Sure, it might be a little harder to fall asleep after that, but WILD and DEILD in that sort of context are going to be nearly one and the same. If you can practice not moving or opening your eyes when you wake up, it can really be much easier to DEILD than WILD. (And yes, I do know this from experience, since this is a separate issue from HI/HH. :razz: It IS quite a bit easier (and usually faster) to go right back into a dream if you don’t move and DEILD.) WILD might seem like one of the easiest ways to get an LD, but it’s really not. It doesn’t have more of a success rate than any others (and honestly, a lot of us have more LDs with other techniques. I mostly have DILDs and the occasional DEILD if I’m lucky.) DEILD is more reliable than WILD. If you want proof with another opinion, ask OmkAR in our IRC room. He does many DEILDs, but not nearly as many WILDs. He does do both, but whenever he talks about his LDs/OBEs, most are from DEILDs.

Hi Adam,

I think everyone experiences it differently. Almost all LDs I have come from WILD and I actually WILD spontaneously sometimes. SO I’ll try to awnser your question form my experiences.

1. I let myself sleep untill I wake up the first time in the morning, when I’ve had about 7 to 8 hours of sleep. What I do is, either I step out of bed to use the restroom or I will roll over, or move my body a little. Important is to remind yourself that you’ve just woken up and that you will go back to sleep. I guess that if you stay up longer, you’ll eventually do WBTB…

2. I recommend you to…

3. I don’t always get HI/HS/HH, usually I skip it but sometimes i let it be. Rarely it’s frightening (like a huge rat running towards me etc.) but usually it’s something nice. HI can be shapes, colours, objects, entire scene’s; it is like you are watching tv from really close by, you are the frame but you’re not in it. HS can be music playing, I always enjoy this a lot. HH can be people walking through your room, they can be making sounds or even touching you. I haven’t been able to control the HI and HS yet though it’s not that hard to control the HH. It doesn’t have to be scary, if you feel comfortable, it won’t get scary, after all it’s all in your head.

4. I’m not sure exactly what you mean to ask here but I think I’ve anwsered this one with the previous question. With HI you don’t see yourself, all you see is the HI and you are it’s frame.

5. For me it doesn’t seem to last long, as I said before, I can skip it all and go straight to a LD (but it’s really not as simple as I’m writing it down right now…). So, when I enjoy it, I can make it last for about 5 minutes and then wake up and dive straight back into it. But other times I don’t even get HI and go straight into a LD. It’s really easy to go from HH into a LD, all you have to do there is to get up and walk away and you’re in a LD.

6. You will feel it, it’s hard to explain. When I am waiting for this feeling I am often too fast with trying to become lucid so I then fail but the stupid thing is that before trying it, I already know that I will fail because the feeling isn’t strong enough. And when I do feel that feeling very strongly I know before trying it that I will succeed and I’ve always succeeded when I felt that feeling so strong. So when you get that feeling, you will just know that that’s the cue.

good luck :smile:

I attempted WILD last night, but this time, with a little help.

I was pretty tired, and went to bed with headphones on while this was playing: youtube.com/watch?v=8xDk1VBlIL8

Lied completely still, and suddenly, it felt like I was spinning. I tried to focus on it, but it just went away.

Was I about to go into SP?

Not necessarily, this could have just been the beginning of HH that you experiencing. This is a common problem if you try to WILD right when you go to bed, regardless of how tired you are. It can take up to 90 minutes of sitting through symptoms like that before you even have your first dream of the night. It would be much easier if you were to attempt it later, about 4-6 hours after you first go to sleep.

Often I use WILD in the morning and sometimes it goes great but other times not so great.

I’m not sure what the problem is but I think that I’m entering a LD too soon maybe because the hallucinations stay behind and I can’t really get away from my physical body so I have to unlucid to try it again.

For example, the morning before last morning I stepped out of bed like I normally do when stepping into a LD. I didn’t have vision right away so I usually wait a few seconds and walk around untill it starts. Like that morning I walked around and my vision started coming vaguely but it wasn’t well so I decided to open my eyes (for me it sometimes feels like my eyes are closed and I search for vision while my eyes feel closed, vision may come and it feels like my eyes have opened themselves or I actively open my eyes to either find myself in my bed or see my dream). I opened my eyes and from my right eye I saw my dream world but from my left eye I saw my blankets so I actively closed my left eye and walked around in my dream with just seeing through my right eye. Next problem was that I felt being sucked back to my physical body right after I was about to take a lucid pill. Rubbing and touching doesn’t much help.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same experiences and what did you do to overcome it? Is my body too awake so it doesn’t give me the chance to go into deeper sleep or am I stepping into a LD too soon or…?

At what part of WILD should I focus on sleeping rather than staying awake? If I keep trying to stay awake, I usually end up waking fully.

Keep your mind awake, not your body. Thats really the whole point of WILD. There isnt a specific time to do it.

It all depends on how tired you are, usually for me what I do is try and fall asleep but keep the idea that I’m WILDing and I will usually dose off but I will become concious when any type of HH happens. You usually just have to judge how tired you are. For me If I get up in the middle of the night and don’t move around much then I have to try and stay awake but if its like a 30 minute WBTB then I gotta try to fall asleep. Their is a best time to WILD, It’s in your REM. If you not in REM its kinda tough to dream haha, I have most success with WILD when I do it right after a dream. Sorry If some of this is confusing, lemme know if you have any more questions.