LD and Afternoon Naps

I merged here all the topics which were related to afternoon naps

If you are trying to WILD during an afternoon nap, is it better to try when you are first going to sleep then or go to sleep normally, then wake up (probably by alarm) and try to go back to sleep with the WILD technique?

The second is of course what works better when you sleep at night, but what about afternoon napping?

Same for both in my opinion.Just if you do it on afternoon nap make yourself sleep less during the night than you would normally.Point is to fall asleep easier and also to be in little sleep debt when u have more chances for REM to start right off:)
take care

Morning is great for wild and a nap round noon or midday gives the highest changes 4 a ld!

Jeff

I naturally only sleep usually 2- 4 hours at a time and have been like that all my life. Waking up watching a movie then going back to sleep is pretty standard for me. Maybe that is the simple explanation for why I have LD’d as long as I can recall

I think so to Tripper :smile:

Jeff

Interesting Tripper.
Im very similar with slight difference.I wake up many times during my sleep to get some sweets or something to drink.Id say i wake up 3-5 times in 9 hrs sleep period.I dont take too long breaks,they usually like few minutes and i go back to sleep.According to knowledge i gained here im supposed to be lucky one who doesnt have to drink litres of water to ake up at night and this way to increase my ld chances.
THING is-even having such a "lucky"feature i dont seem to be getting any lds.ure i do have them occasionally but its way less than most i guess.for example ive had two in last 7 mnths.
Wonder what differs us.

Pure neurological Jack thats all!

Jeff

I have heard people say that naps are good for LD’ing… but I think they usually are thinking mid-morning, early-afternoon. I wonder if a nap after work (ooooh I’d love an EXCUSE to do it! :smile: ) 5pm-ish would be of value… perhaps either during the nap itself, or the night sleep later (longer REM’s ?).
Any opinion on (1) would it be of much value to do, (2) what would be the best induction method to use… MILD ?
I want to try that finger counting technique sometime, but it seems to me it’ll either keep me awake, or confuse the heck out of me.
Peace,
Sruthan

Ive had most of my lds during afternoon naps.Different times,i guess the latest was around 4pm.If its later i try to overcome sleepyness as i cant fall asleep at night then.
I found out that for me 1,5 hrs naps are the best-recall- and restwise.
All i do then is just fall asleep with the thought in my mind “its a dream,im dreaming”
good luck:)

Thanks! That’s encouraging…
And personally, I almost never have trouble falling asleep… blessing and a curse… I can often sleep pretty much all darn weekend, getting up pretty much just for biological necessities.
Peace,
Sruthan

I have tried napping before and I didn’t even remember a dream. It just seems like I go to sleep (takes a long time since it feels like I’m forcing it on myself to fall asleep), and wake up. I can’t remember a single thing.

i took a nap today (not to try to have an LD, but because i haven’t been getting enough sleep)

it was weird, i had a few WILDs (i guess you could call them that) w/o intending to and lost them when i tried to stabilize 'em shrug

i think i might experiment w/ taking naps some more

I usually get quite enough sleep during the night, so it’s hard for me to fall asleep while trying to take a nap… Save for if I had a very busy day. Otherwise I feel like I’m forcing myself to sleep, which almost always results in not being able to sleep. So I’ve never been successful with having an LD during a nap…

/ds

That was basically my experience yesterday for the nap too… just very brief flashes of memory. I’m starting to wonder if later-in-the-day naps don’t have much REM, kinda like the first couple hours of night sleep usually don’t.

Peace,
Sruthan

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I took mine at 4 PM, maybe I should have done it at a different time. I’m not a fan of napping though.

Really? First 2 lucid dreams = 5:00 PM naps. Haven’t tried it since due to my not having time, of course. Hey, homework sucks.

can u LD when taking a nap, if so is it a higher chance LD’s will happen? :smile:

I’ve definitely had ld’s while napping. I think part of it is that you’re sleeping during the day, and outside noises make their way into your dreams, and you start to notice. It’s usually a lot quiter at night, so I sleep more soundly.

i tried this today and in the middle of a dream (non lucid) a truck drove past my place and woke me up :grrr:

i didnt even have a chance to try and become lucid…

Dreams tend to be very vivid during afternoon naps. I’ve tried a couple of times to have a NILD but havn’t succeeded yet.