Newbie advice: Helpful hints for aspiring Lucid Dreamers III

There are all sorts of stuff you can do to increase your chances of having an LD, though there are no techniques that will help you have an LD sooner than the regular way, cause if there where, everyone’d use it, and eventually turn that technique into the “Regular” technique.
Write a DJ, make sure you eat alot of vitamin B6, stay focused - yet relaxed, don’t push yourself, do RC’s regular, in bed - imagine yourself asleep and floating doing RC’s.

If you start to feel fed up about this whole LD thingy, take a break for a month or so - Some “Non-successive” LD’ers who have taken a break before have had an LD almost immediately afterwards.

So, I am an involuntary summer lucid dreamer. (involuntary as in i LD only in the summer, rather than all year, which i would like) Last summer was my first time doing it, and i got about 6 lucid dreams, a lot of them came towards the end of summer (perhaps because i was getting better?). But now I find myself stuck in a spot where I know i can LD, i know how lucid dreaming feels, yet i still can not get back into it. I also used to have really good dream recall last summer (about 3-4 a night), and that too kind of fell apart throughout the year. The techniques I used were a mixture of reality checks, and MILD, but i tend to just realize that something is weird in my dream, and do a RC after that. Any tips on getting back into LDing, and stuff?

I was only focused on dreaming, nut lucidity. I knew it would came when the time was ripe. :content:

I am writing this to help myself, and anyone else wanting to start Lucid Dreaming.

First, work on remembering your dreams
Technique #1
Before you go to bed say over and over again “I will remember my dreams”, it is important you actually MEAN it, and aren’t just saying it.
Technique #2
Set your alarm for 4.5 hours, 6 hours, and 7.5 hours after going to sleep. Each time it wakes you up, write down as much as you can about remembering your dreams.

TIPS
Use both techniques for the best result

You also want to get in the habit of doing reality checks. A reality check is something you do to see if you are dreaming or not. I use these two techniques: I hold my nose, and see if I can breath, I also look at some text, turn away, and look at it.

If you can breath while you are holding your nose, you are dreaming, if the text has changed, you are dreaming.

Try and do a reality check as much as possible, here are some situations you should do a reality check in:

1. If something seems strange
  2. When you go to the bathroom
  3. When you wake up
  4. When your watch bleeps on the hour
  5. When you see a mirror

You can use these, or make up your own, what you want to happen is get into the habit, and eventually you will do it in a dream and say, “Cool, I’m Dreaming!”

Now you need to choose one of these techniques:
MILD – Telling yourself before you go to sleep to realise you are dreaming
WILD – Keeping your mind awake while your body falls asleep
WBTB – Wake Back To Bed, you wake up and go back to bed again
Auto suggestion – Kinda like MILD, you tell yourself you are going to realise you are dreaming.

For the best results use WBTB with MILD or WILD

Lastly keep experimenting, try MILD in different ways, then try WILD in different ways, eg: count differently, wake yourself up at a different time, visualise something different.

If nothing seems to work, don’t give up! keep experimenting with different techniques until it finally works!

TIP FOR WILD:
Wake yourself up 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, or 7.5 hours after going to bed, this will leave you close to the REM cycle.
Also, try using different techniques to keep yourself awake, here are some ideas:

1. Focus on the coloured dots you see when your eyes are shut, and make them dance around and change colour.
  2. Keep switching what you are thinking about every 1-2 seconds, but still keep aware, this will simulate your thinking pattern of when you dream normally. You will start to see images and hear sounds, and you will eventually enter a dream. This is called Hypnogogic Imagery
  3. Count from 1-100 and say “I’m dreaming” in between each number.
  4. Focus on the Tinnitus (ringing) in your ears, it will get louder and you will eventually enter a dram
  5. Make yourself slightly uncomfortable, so you don’t fall asleep too easily. Try on of the following:
    i) Stack Pillows so you are sitting up in bed, and not in a normal sleeping position
    ii) Lie down on a hard floor
    iii) Lifting your forearm upwards, with the rest of your arm resting on the bed.
    iv) Sit in a hard chair

Good summary of lucid dreaming. Thanks!

4.5 hours after going to sleep, then 90 minutes after that and 90 minutes after that. Thats what I do, you can read about it in my DJ

A major tip from me I just learned a while ago…

Don’t try to take control of the entire dream. Don’t try to yell “CHANGE TO MAGICAL UNICORN LAND NOW” and expect it to happen.

I’ve learned to rely on DCs (even my pets) to bring me the desired persons I want to meet and such. If I want to change my setting, I have to go through a door with the ideal place in mind or close my eyes and peel my eyelids open.

Yeah, dream control can be hard and it’s much harder to change the dreamscape or any object while you’re looking at it (although this can be possible if you believe you have magic powers in the dream, maybe a wand?..then your subconscious will be able to link an event…casting a spell…with an action…changing objects or scenery, one thing in LDs is it seems easier to change stuff when you logically connect an event with the action)

As Rotten Apples says, in LDs, the best way to find something or to go somewhere else is to connect getting there with some event, like walking through a door or a teleportation device

but who knows?, the more you practice LDing and the more you have, the more control you will build and may be able to change the dreamscape whilst looking at it :smile:

That´s right. It may be a good idea to be statisfied, even if you do not exactly get what you want. Be grateful.

get motivated and don’t get discouraged if you don’t get what you want to first time. :tongue:

Hi
I’m very new to lucid dreaming, so at the moment i am trying to remeber my dreams. And one trick i have done which has helped me is to write on a piece of paper ‘What did i dream?’ MY bed up near the roof so it is the first thing i see when i wake up but it helps just reading it before i go to bed helps me to remeber my dreams. I have had holidays for 2 weeks and i put the "what did i dream’ sighn on the first day of holidays and every morning i have remeber parts or all of my dream/dreams.
It really works for me and maybe it might for others i’d love to know?! :smile:

That sounds like an amazing idea, and it looks pretty cool too! :happy: i’m going to do that. sounds great.

I want you to right now, have a look around where-ever you are, but in your head pretend you are dreaming, or rather imagine that you are dreaming, just for a moment. Don’t actually go and do anything, just pretend in your head that you are dreaming right now and have gained lucidity, you look around at how real everything looks and think “wow, i can’t believe how real this seems”. Don’t close your eyes, just try to see it from this different perspective for about a minute or two.

Did it feel good? strange? different? or just the same? either way you have taken a moment to put yourself in that situation, and deeply consider your reality. You have held it up to questioning under your conscious awareness, and this just might give you the kick-start you need. Believe it or not, this is actually a technique known as Tibetan Dream Yoga… feel free to use it as much as you like.

I think I was 12 or 13 when I started haveing lucid dreams it was natural . I didn’t know what a ld was. I was young but I could do it every nigth. It was easy I get in bed tell my self what I was going to do in my dream, and next thing I know I was telling my self “I’m dreaming!” there I was a 12,13 year old kidrunning around looking for girls. That only lasted tell around 15 years old. Then I losted it
Its been years sences then and I cant do it any more. I dont know what happen. I have alot of powers that i can do fly, move think with my mind that one is cool, make wolverine claws come out of my hands. I can’t get lucid .I know its a matter of time before I get it back. Is there any one how knows what I’m going thought. Or maybe some advance technique I can use senes I have experiences before.[/list]

I think I was 12 or 13 when I started haveing lucid dreams it was natural . I didn’t know what a ld was. I was young but I could do it every nigth. It was easy I get in bed tell my self what I was going to do in my dream, and next thing I know I was telling my self “I’m dreaming!” there I was a 12,13 year old kidrunning around looking for girls. That only lasted tell around 15 years old. Then I losted it
Its been years sences then and I cant do it any more. I dont know what happen. I have alot of powers that i can do fly, move think with my mind that one is cool, make wolverine claws come out of my hands. I can’t get lucid .I know its a matter of time before I get it back. Is there any one how knows what I’m going thought. Or maybe some advance technique I can use senes I have experiences before.[/list]

streamwalker… just try stacking techniques… listen to lots of lucid dreaming Mp3’s, practice MILD/VILD, do RC’s, eat banana’s… just keep doing everything you can and focus on it intensely for the next week or two… even when you get a LD again… just keep doing it until you are having them very frequently… (even then you might want to consider still doing it)

The advanced technique I use is called Tibetan Dream Yoga (which isn’t yoga at all… but a very good way to change perception).

Does Meditating before you go to sleep help with LDing at all??

meditation in general will help with LD’ing because it raises your self-awareness which is something very critical to have a lot of, when it comes to LD’ing.

I often meditate before sleeping because i find i have more dreams that way, my dreams start almost immeditately within the first stages of sleep and the dreams in this stage are much more profound.

meditation will help you in all area’s of life not just LD’ing… so why not give it a go… can’t hurt right?

I was thinking of meditating in general, I seen a tv show about it, do you have any websites or anything to help me get started?

there are plenty about if you run a search for “meditation techniques” in google.

here is one to get you started:
meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/tec … /index.htm

When i first started meditating it felt more like a chore and i wasn’t enjoying it… but after a while i started to get better at it, and could reach much deeper states… and that is where all the fun happens. Now i do it very regularly because I enjoy it and consider it a hobby now instead of a chore.