Newbie advice: Helpful hints for aspiring Lucid Dreamers III

Hey all, I’ve just started on the road to LD. Just a few days ago I was reading up on it and it sounded really neat so I decided to give it ago. The stuff in this thread is really useful, I will be sure to try out some of the techniques. Right now I’m just working on DR. I hadn’t remembered a dream for a good chunk of time, because I would just get up in the morning immediately and think about other things. Now I have a DJ and I am remembering some of my dreams.

Hopefully I will get really good at that, then I need to start working on RCs so that I can conciously say in my dreams: “hey that doesn’t look right, I must be dreaming.”

I’m pretty good at dream recall and I keep a DJ but I can never remember to do RC’s in my dreams. I’ve been trying for a couple weeks now. I’m not getting frustrated I’m just looking for some pointers. And what foods is B-6 common in?

I’ve been keeping a dream diary since last week and I’ve seen the number of dreams I’ve had go way up (from about 1/2 a week to 4/5 a week) so even if I don’t get lucid I’ve still achieved something. I’ve been trying MILD every night with not much success (can’t do WBTB becasue of exams - they’re done now!). This morning I had a very small dream during a lie-in (the dream was about 1/2 mins). I haven’t done any reality checks in my dreams so far so thats not so good. I’m guessing from what you lot are saying is that lucid dreams are basically dreams in which you are conscious.

Tonight, I’m going to try MILD with WBTB and use an alarm clock to get some practice in. Oh, and eat vitamin B6!

PS: In an LD, is it your conscious or subconscious that decides whether to teleport, or fly etcetera? I know that its the subconscious that does all the work (fabricating environments, making DCs). Or to put it in other words, does your conscious mind “shut down” in an LD?

foods rich in B6 are
Whole (but not enriched) grains
Cereals
Liver
Avocados
Spinach
Green beans
Bananas
Rice bran
Brown rice
Oatmeal
Soybeans
Sunflower seeds
Broccoli
Brewer’s yeast
Halibut
Pork

If it is a fully conscious decision to teleport/fly etc it will be your conscious mind :content:

:welcome: welcome to LD4all

[mod]I have split a post asking a question to it’s own topic Remembering Your Objective. This is not a topic for general questions. :smile: :dragon:[/mod]

In my experience, when you don’t want an alarm clock or lights to wake you up… AUTOSUGGESTION can be a very valuble tool. When i first started my quest for good dream recall i would say to myself while falling asleep “I will remember my dreams tonight.” usually i would wake up after a dream ended, but it worked.

also keep in mind that your prospective memory can really help you when using this autosuggestion method. if you plan on trying this to improve your dream recall, then it would behove you to practice some simple prospective memory exercises.
A post about prospective memory has been split to it’s own topic in General Lucidness, “Training prospective memory?:dragon:

I’m going to echo Southernbot’s question above. My recall is improving a lot, but I can never seem to remember to do RC’s in my dreams. I somehow lose my motivation somewhere between falling asleep and the beginning of the dream! :help:

How can I remember to do RC’s when I’m dreaming? Wouldn’t I already have to be lucid to decide to do an RC?

The only recent LD I’ve had was a DILD where I saw a non human figure that I knew wasn’t real, at least not in my neighborhood :wink:

What ive tried, as a bit of an experiment last night, as RCs never seem to work for me - is used one of my phones, which was low on battery, that kept kept intermttingly beeping every minute or so…so i decided to keep in by my bedside, while i did all my bedroomey stuff, for half an hour or so, and each time i heard the beep, i would do the nose RC, but by holding the passage to my windpipe, located where a mans adams apple is - to cut of my breathing, so that i wasnt moving. i did this for about 40 minutes or so until id finsihed and dropped off to sleep, and sure enough in my dreams i RCed at least 3 or 4 times, whether it was me imagining the beep or actually RCing when i heard the RL beep, im not sure, but it sure worked and i got lucid! So trying something like that might work.

What I’ve done is… nothing. If you want to try MILD, try practicing with a mantra for a few days, and then surely you’ll sucessfully do it!

ive just started to path to LD enlightenment and have found that just thinking about LD’ing has increased my dream recall massively, i can now remember 1 or 2 dreams every night, whereas before i never remembered dreams. i hope to have my first LD soon :tongue:

i saw a good tip on a youtube video to keep a voice recorder by your bedside if you have one and use that as a dream journal, quick and easy to get the job done.

I found the coolest LD FAQ possibly out there, brain.web-us.com/lucid/luciddreamingFAQ.htm

Good luck! :cool:

The way I started off with lucid dreaming was with Carlos Casteneda’s method of looking at your hands before going to sleep and consciously impanting the thought that next time you dream, you will again look at your hands and realise that you are dreaming. Thesedays, though, I usually find that I achieve lucidity the moment I realise I am able to do something that I normally can’t. This is, most often, flying.
Slight Edit. :dragon:

there is something about stopping time in LD to make it a maybe 100 physical years xD ?
man if you had more than 390 lds, you for sure did some researches in ld time stopping. Have you got some results?? can you share with us? :smile:
if you can, write me a pm :smile:

I’m not so sure I buy into that section on time stopping - its implying that we can freeze real life time in our dreams. The article talks about how people have experienced dreams that lasted a lifetime. Here is the general breakdown on how that usually operates.

In a normal dream let’s say you’re walking down a mile long sidewalk. Quite often you will suddenly “jump” to the end; however, you will conclude that you walked the whole sidewalk. This is much the same as when you’re watching a movie and the actor is in bed at night at 10:00 PM, the scene then flashes and its 7:00 AM in the morning. You assume the time has passed even though you “know” it’s been only a few seconds. People don’t usually pick up on this in normal dreams and so end up feeling as if they have dreamed dreams lasting for absurd periods of time.

Lets face it, towards the end of the night REM periods can get up towards an hour or more in length but eventually you have to leave REM and, therefore, the dream. It is certainly possible, however, to have dreams that last upwards of an hour.

No lol, i haven’t stopped time in an LD. Maybe once, for fun.
And don’t look at my lds and say wow i’ll never get that, i mean i did it. And still, you should see some people here and how many lds they said they’ve had! :smile:

For the last two years or so, what I have been trying to do is to establish contact with someone else I know who is also having a lucid dream when I am… so far no luck. I reckon it would be a real buzz to achieve this…(not that lucid dreaming ITSELF isn’t a buzz!..).

What you are attempting, mirrorlogic, is termed shared dreaming and is a hotly debated concept; the reason for this should be apparent: if people could dream the same thing, actually be in the same dream, it would prove that their is some sort of connectedness between peoples minds.

I think if I were to wake up with a flower I had gotten from a dream, I would definitely try bringing back some money the next time 'round…

LMAO… :lol: :lol:

Friend: “hey man, what do you do for a living”
Me: “Uh, I dream?”

I just decided to start taking my dreams seriously a few days ago when i got into a discussion about lucid dreams with a friend of mine. He showed me this site and as i am reading everything on it, i am starting to realize that i have known about LDs for ever but i just didn’t know about this sub-culture it has seemed to create. I lie in concious dreams all night sometimes but before i didnt know that they could be controlled and so therefore i saw them as annoying because i couldn’t fall asleep. Plus,I seriously think that i have an ability to have an OOBE on command practically. Before i talked to my friend the other day, I had never told anyone this but sometimes if i clear my head and stare at something or especially if my eyes are closed, I have an anxious feeling like i am being pulled away. I have never known what it was so i got scared and had to shake myself out of it. Only once did i hold it for more than a few minutes out of sheer spite and anger because i kept getting scared and freaking out becasue i couldn’t shake it so i decided to just ride it out and see if it killed me and i am absolutely certain that i had a serious OOBE. Please, if you want to talk about this or have any questions send me a PM. Hopefuly someone out there nows what i mean when i say this. Sorry i couldnt describe it better but its really wierd.