Odd synchronicities.

This has always happened to me thorughout life, but anyway…

For the past 3-4 or more days, I will think about an episode or more usually a line of dialogue from Simpsons or King of the Hill…

then that episode will be on that day.

Now, I know that some of this could be accredited to seeing commercials for the episode and not realizing it, but there are times where I went a day without watching tv so I wouldn’t have known what was on… this has happened to me consistently for the past 3-4 days.

I mean, I remember, yesterday I was talking about the Gambler (that song) and how hilarious it is when Hank Hill sings it… well, that episode was on later that day, I didn’t know it was going to be.

I remember thinking of some sort of Simpsons thing the day before, and it was on… most of the direct examples I can’t remember any more but I know this has been going on for 3-4 days in a row, without flaw.

What I don’t know is why. It’s kind of stepped out of the bounds of coincidence I think… as I couldn’t tell you what episodes are on today, nor have I had any simpsons/koth thoughts today, but the possibility exists for having seen a commercial and subconsciously remembering it… but… I don’t think so…

So… it’s like maybe something is trying to tell me something… these things happen in spurts, usually I’ll only get a hit/miss one or two day in a row thing, I’m not sure it’s ever happened this much before, and it certainly hasn’t happened in a long while.

Frankly I would just love to believe that my enjoyment of those episodes causes me to see them, since I could then use that to say that I’m going to win a bass amp I entered a contest for a few days ago… but I don’t think that’s quite it… I think it’s more just picking up on the near future than dictating the near future, if anything.

That doesn’t mean I couldn’t win though… I had a ND about a bass amp today… but… well… I don’t know.

What do you guys think about these quirky types of occurances, and what do they mean?

this used to happen to me all the time and recently it did too… not too long ago I thought I might have some psychic tendencies…

I once wanted to know how to see ‘‘The Applegates’’ (film about a family of bugs who pretend to be humans - comedy)

later that week it was on twice!

also! (very recently)

wanted to know the name of a film with Tom Hanks when he and his friends from his neighbourhood suspect their new neighbours are murderers… I didnt know, but a few days later, it was on ‘‘The Burbs’’ - I couldnt believe it

and also recently, my gf’s mum asked me a question which was ‘‘Who was the…’’ and immediately I answered ‘‘Ving Rhames’’ cuz I knew she was going to ask me who was the man who got raped in ‘‘Pulp Fiction’’ so odd… It just came out… very strange, Havnt had any more of these experiences in the immediate past though

• Silva

I have often similar experiences aswell, like for example i think/talk about a person i have not seen for years, then suddently later that same day, i just stumble upon this person…

How old are you?

There was something a while ago that said that teens are more powerful ‘psychics’. Also I’m 16 and this happens to me all the time, especially with the simpsons but maybe that’s because I quote it too much?

I think we have all had these kinds of experiences. I know I have had times where I thought about someone I have not seen in a while and then I run into them or they call me out of the blue. I also had similar experiences where I would be thinking about a TV show or episode and it would be on either that next day or within a few days. Are they just weird coincidence or something more. I have no idea. You are not unique in this. I think most everyone has had similar experiences so I do not think it is something you need to worry about.

Just odds being beat. Thats all there is to it.

I’m 18.

it could be something to do with the “collective unconscious” like how movies sometimes seem so familiar even if you haven’t seen them before, and things like that.

Aside from TV shows I have had this happen to me with regaurds to exact scenarios.

Three or four times I have been laying in bed in the morning and just as an example, I feel rain drops on my face, I can smell the fresh rain and feel a light breeze. I would wake up shortly after, look out side and it would be bright an sunny. Then I would go on with my day and on my way to work it starts softly raining, and I smell the rain and feel the same breeze as in my dream.

This has only happened on days when it actually does rain. I don’t watch the weather or the news or have any idea what it will be like one day to the next. I know this type of thing is insignificant, but these things do happen and their are wierd.

Coincidence or pre-cog… probably coincidence, but who knows :tongue:

I used to get this with Simpsons every day for weeks at a time. I mainly attributed it to the fact that I wasn’t remembering the commercials, like you said, for the following day’s episode. After all, tv is a hugely passive experience. You don’t use your brain a lot, and it’s easy to forget things.

I also realized two other things:

1. I was thinking about The Simpsons constantly– I had seen every episode more than once back then (couple years ago), so The Simpsons took up a fairly decent junk of my time. If I was thinking about 40 different episodes throughout the day, and one happened to come on, I immediately forgot about the other 39 I had been thinking about and attributed it to “knowing so much about the Simpsons I could predict which one was going to come on.”

And 2) That the amount of times I thought about many specific episodes and one came on that day was probably dwarfed by the amount of times I thought about many specific episodes and they didn’t come on. It’s a known fact that humans have incredibly selective memories. I’m a human, so I’m not exempt from that.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Could very well be. Almost everyone I know has had similar experiences. I think it is something that is worthy of a study to see how and why we tend to “beat the odds” once in a while.

Well…go grab a drink, sit back, relax…and get ready for another looooooong but almost certainly true theory…my theory:

rubs hands together
cracks fingers

Ok, here’s how it goes, the brain can remember A LOT of things, and not just the brain, but I wont go into that since I can’t be stuffed writing an extra page, anyhow, a lot of things that you notice throughout your life repeat themselves, by the way this explanation explains how all predictions happen.
So as I was saying things repeat themselves, this creates a pattern, the brain, being able to rememeber a hell of a lot, soon picks up this pattern, and through anormous calculations the brain unconsiously predicts when the next or similar occurance will happen. For a better explanation imagin a mathematical sequence, for example:

Here’s a table:

n:…1…2…3…4…5…6…7
y:…5…8…11…14…17…20…23

in y the next number can be obtained by adding 3 to the previous number, right?
n is just a number for each of the numbers, like say the word “hello” has number 1, here’s the same thing the only the number “5” has the number 1

But this can also be written as a rule:
n+1=n+3
as in 8 (n+1) = 5 (n) +3

This is acctualy called a recursive formulae, by the way for all you people who’ve learnt this in highschool I didn’t put a T infront of the n to keep it simple.

This is a simple rule for simple numbers, my theory is that the brain does the same thing but on a higher level.

By the way, for all the people who went to highschool and learnt this, sorry for waisting your time with all the mathematical stuff that you already know.

the end.

mystery

But actually, stuff like this really does get me wondering how the brain/mind works. It seems to be one of the last mysteries (i.e., we’re completely clueless about how it operates) of the planet.

For instance, is deja vous just cross-wiring, or exaggerated confabulation, or what?

It is as good a theory as any other. However there real is no way to prove anything. Not yet anyway.

Quite an interesting possibility.

It’d be interesting if indeed, the nature of life and living can be boiled down to mathematics… that is, there are patterns to everything… a mindblowing thing to consider, I would say hehe

Well have you heard of the Chaos theory?

Basicaly they got a formular that outputs a number (or something similar) which they then use to plot a point on the screen in a certain colour, its all well and good but when then started plotting a lot of these points they soon turned into images of leaves and other stuff, so they think that there might be a pattern in everything. (I developed my theory before I heard about the chaos theory, by the way)

mystery

Whoa :eek:

That has been happening to me alot lately.

It has heppened to me all my life but not like lately.
Just happened to me like 30 minutes ago.

The chaos theory is a great one indeed. There is order within chaos and one can actaully find out the patterns within it.
There was a movie were this girl explained it. I think it was a horror movie called “The Mangler 2”. She had a exact name of what it is and had a book but don’t remember the name of it.

This happened to me just now, seems like it’s been happening a lot lately to me as well. A few days ago I was sitting in my car, waiting for my uncle to come out of the store and I started singing a song. after he came out and shut the door, I turned on the key and the radio was playing the same song in the EXACT same spot— beat for beat.

Then just now I was sitting in my room jamming on my guitar trying to write a song, and I got stuck tso I went to a site that has guitar tabs(like sheet music) and, for a reason I can’t figre out, clicked on avril lavigne( never listen to her music) then I clicked on a song I’d never heard of, and it had exactly the same chords in the same progression as the song I was playing.

anyway, I’m 16 as well… maybe 16 is the magic psychic age shrug

I often have weird coincidences with music as well. The one that happens most often is when I’m listening to my mp3 player. I will be listening to whatever song, not paying a whole lot of attention, with the thing on shuffle mode. I have no idea what song is going to come on next, but after the one I’m listening to starts to end, I begin to hear the first notes of a new song (in my head). A few seconds later, the very notes that I was hearing start playing and I realize that song is now on. I know I could chalk this up to coincidence, but I think it’s cool nonetheless. It only really happens when I am not paying attention and I just let my mind “go on a tangent.” It seems to be best at predicting things when I let it drift off to la-la land.

i notice this sometimes too… I think we can instinctually perceive things a split second before they actually happen sometimes…

it could also be the songs having a characteristic beginning, a characteristic “silence” or “ambience” weird almost inaudible noises fading in, that clue you in.

I can do that sometimes with songs that don’t just immediately start, they have a brief “feeling” in the “silence” before the beginning, maybe a sound effect, maybe not.

Something you immediately ucnonsciously pick up on.

As for turning the radio on that’s no biggie, they play the same damn songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again on the radio, it only really matters if you did it with an “obscure” song…

I mean I could always predict when an evanescence song would be on (and which one) whenever I would hit the radio button or turn my car on, but I mean, THEY PLAY EVANESCENCE ALL THE DAMN TIME the songs are deeply (and unfortunately) burned into my head and playing over and over… how many times can you NOT predict an evansscence song? You know?

Maybe I was picking up on a pattern of when they play what though… but yeah… I don’t think it’s as much psychicness related as intution related…

however, I see some psychic potential there… and I’m not sure what to think…

oh yes, and I forgot to mention, I have not been sleeping with a clock for a LONG time, and two days in a row (yesterday and the day before) I lied in bed for a while, and then I would spontaneously get hit with a desire to get up… both times, upon getting up and looking at the wall clock, were 11:04… two days in a row.

Pretty cool… I got up at 12:08 today.

Wierd coincidence? when I use an alarm clock it seems I always wake up 1 minute before the alarm rings