Ok, i am convinced..

Recently, i had the best Deja Vu experience ever.

I can’t explain it, but it happened when my friend and i were in my apartment and my friend had never been there before, but i had “a dream” or something where the exact same thing happened.

So now I’m convinced that there’s something deep within our brains that “modern science” has yet to “discover”.

We are powerful beyond measure.
Moved from Beyond Dreaming :ysim:

Déjà vu is a strange phenomenon, yes, but I wouldn’t say that it is anything more than a temporary mental lapse. It’s a major exaggeration to say that we are powerful beyond measure because of a simple synchronicity. Neuroscience is constantly evolving, and there is much we haven’t yet learned about the brain. However, it’s not as if our minds have some magical capabilities locked away that have yet to be discovered.

Whoa I totally disagree with that…
Thats exactly the case in my opinion…
I think we long ago lost much of our abilities and awareness… and we are slowly but surely rediscovering our true potentials as humans…

I’m curious what you mean by that. If anything, humans have gained awareness about the universe thanks to our great technological strides. Today, we regularly think about concepts that our ancestors could not even dream of.

time.com/time/magazine/artic … 07,00.html

It seems they’ve found a little spasm in the hippocampus that makes things familiar, and using it to cure Alzheimer’s, which is really neat.

If you can trace a familiar-feeling moment to one that you’ve written down or maybe even illustrated in a dream journal, that sure is cool, but not really practical… I mean, how is remembering a moment that’s similar to a situation that appeared in a dream, supposed to be helpful?

Hmm… I’d have to disagree again :mrgreen:
Have you ever learned much about the ancient Mayan, Incan, Aztec, Egyptian, Celtic, Hindu civilizations?
There is an abundance of information constantly being discovered about them which bluntly suggests that many of their ways and wisdoms were very advanced… way more advanced than history and academics had previously suggested… and in many cases, accomplished feats that even modern civilization, with its ‘advanced technology’ can not replicate today.
The ‘starting’ date for civilization is constantly being pushed back by academics and scholars across the globe… and whats even more interesting is that civilizations like the ancient Egyptians seemed to have started off at the height of things, and more and more evidence is suggesting that from there they steadily declined in wisdom awareness and knowledge of our world and our universe.
The most compelling component of these findings of course being that they were at this remarkable height of awareness when history previously suggested that human civilization was just emerging… with no apparent ‘discovery’ period leading up to this height of their culture… as if they had inherited this knowledge and awareness of the universe from an even earlier advanced civilization…
Yet history doesn’t mention an earlier advanced civilization from much before their time…

anyway… if you’re interested in this and have some free time on your hands then check out this site
There is a series of videos about ancient Egypt there… really really interesting… especially the 3rd & 4th episodes…
and theres also a bunch of other very amazing and powerful movies on there…
:tongue:
cheers!

I don’t think the potential of our brains has to be described as magical, but we definitely have more going on than is directly available to our conscious mind.

I remember reading an article about kids with autism who can do some pretty amazing things because of the differences in the way they function. Scientists are looking into ways to artificially bestow these skills on otherwise “normal” people. If you’re interested I recommend you google autism + savant.

Also I think there is a difference between knowledge and awareness, but I would agree that we do know more than we used to about the universe and how it works.

I’m dissapointed with some of your answers here.

It sounds like your saying “There’s nothing magical about our minds, we’ve almost learned all that we are capable of learning”

Haha awww. I think scientists would be the first to agree that we don’t know everything there is to know about the brain. But, I guess I am strongly skeptical about the unscientific.

If you believe in supernatural things that have an impact on our world, ghosts, psychics etc then I think you have to agree that these have to a greater or lesser extent a measurable effect. If they don’t then how can we know about them? We can see or hear ghosts. We can check a psychics predictions against the truth, or prophecy against the events it predicted.

If science is a way of finding out how the world works and the supernatural has an effect on that world then the supernatural seems to me to really just be the unexplained natural. Science will endeavour to prove (or disprove its existence). If it does exist science will endeavour to explain the how and why of its existence.

All this logic and rational thought makes being a Christian very strange… I believe in God and his power to perform miracles and I believe in the devil, though I’m not sure where I stand on evil spirits (Explanation for psychiatric disorder or genuine malevolent presence, who knows?). But I am often skeptical when I hear about modern day miracles, like faith healing. I have to remind myself that God is at work in the world.

I agree with Adhani and totally disagree with Genkai.
First of all,
our ancestors knew things that we can not even dream of. Not the other way around. What is a simple synchronicity Genkai? Do you think it’s just a coincidence?
Einstein said a beautiful thing: (actually, much more than one…)
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is”
I agree with Adhani about the human race losing abilities. Did you know that in the area where the pineal eye chakra is located is a physical gland? This gland used to be the size of a ping pong ball, it is reduced to the size of a pea nowadays. We are truly and obviously rediscovering our potential which is infinite of course…
Robert Monroe: “The biggest illusion is that mankind has limitations.”
Time doesn’t play a role here. Eventually every person will be aware of the reality and perfect himself. Keep in mind, we are not physical beings have a “spiritual” experience, we are “spiritual” beings having a physical experience. The existence is endless, infinite, ever harmonious and perfect. Every religion throughout the ages mentions one thing. Us being made in the shadow of god. I don’t know if you are familiar with Quantum Physics, or especially David Bohm, who claims the universe can be likened to a hologram, as every spot on it can point on the character of the entire piece. Quantum Physics such as Albert Einstein and David Bohm reached many conclusions that our ancestors had no doubts about thousands of years ago. It’s only the ego of the modern, western, civilized human that makes him think that he knows it all, these humans don’t believe anything they can’t see, so we actually regressed over the last thousands of years. (by the way, Mayan calendar? probably heard about it, its ending now, the hindus are calling it yuga, basically, an era, and an era is ending now, a dark area followed by a light era of course.) The fact that the modern man can’t believe in things he does not see was very problematic. This man needs “scientific” proof. (of course, there is no such thing) Humans used to think the earth is flat, that the atom is the smallest particle. They cant see the electricity traveling but they believe it exists. They are influenced by so many forces way beyond their recognition simply because they fail to recognize the possibility in which things that have yet to be “proven” by science may exist. And most of the scientists an researchers are just trying to prove their own values and beliefs and whenever something that doesn’t fit their belief systems comes along, they make absurd explanations for its existence.
I can’t say that our minds are “magical” or not magical. Magical is a subjective word. Every person has his own meaning for the word.
What I can say is that our minds are powerful, very powerful. Powerful way beyond the ordinary man’s belief or even imagination. This universe is totally a mental one. I see this reality every day, I feel it, I live it. I have no doubt about the nature of it as the modern man has. The confusion is caused by the ignorance and the fear of accepting something that scientists don’t, as soon as someone tries to see the truth, he will most surely see, it’s so obvious. It’s only a matter of time until science will accept reality, that will of course lead to “proof”. I suspect it to happen quite soon. The people I see who act like me have a great time and those who don’t suffer in some ways.
Quantum Physicians say that the physical existence is no more than a mere reflection of the inner realities.

“Frozen Light”

Cheers

Edit: I just read Tomothy’s post.
I wish that scientists were actually constantly making efforts to prove or disprove the nature of those things. And I totally agree with you about “psychics” and such being the unexplained normal. It is very normal indeed. And actually, if you know where to look for, it is even well explained.
Here’s a small quote I love. Its by Leslie Flint, a well known Direct Voice Psychic, 71:
“When I first began to allow myself to be tested I was naive enough to believe
that if the tests were successful the scientists and researchers who had
carried them out under their own conditions would proclaim to all the world
the truth of life after death. All too soon I learned the hard way that many of
those who call themselves researchers have immutable values of their own
which preclude belief of a meaning or purpose in man‟s existence or the
possibility of a life after death. Their concern was to disprove the reality of
my voices and they would postulate any alternative, however far-fetched or
absurd, sooner than admit the implication of their own successful
experiment”.

I’m sure scientists bring their own biases to their research. This is unfortunate. But the way science works is to present a theory on how something works and then attempt to disprove it. If a theory resists being disproved (such as evolution) then it remains the prevalent theory until something better comes along.

I just find it hard to believe that if this was a natural occuring phenomena that it wouldn’t have more support in the scientific community. Hell, if people can believe in Homeopathy why not the supernatural?

There are organisations out there attempting to prove or disprove the instance of psychic activity. James Randi has offered a million dollars to anyone who can give a scientifically verifiable performance of their psychic or supernatural talents. This offer has been on the table for about ten years I think and so far he has not had to pay anyone.

Well. Im not guessing here.
I don’t need or feel the need to prove anything to anyone as I am confidence in my beliefs. Because I feel how it affects my life. I dont postulate or assume, I know.
You can read a lot of things that will open your mind a bit.
And James Randi is a huge fraud. Don’t be so naive. Simple business plan…
He isn’t concerned with psychics, just with making money. and does he…

Not at all like most psychics and spiritualists, then :tongue:

I have no objection to thinking positively, but I do object to this loathing of any curiosity of where it comes from, and deduction of where it can lead to. Just, “I’m convinced” and don’t ask questions? That sounded awful limiting to me.

hmm…
I don’t seem to quite get you
Im saying you should ask questions. Thats exactly the point. What im saying is that im not watching psychics and thinking hmm, that is “real”! yay
I see all those effects my mind has on my life, what Im saying is that were all “psychics”
I feel the power my mind has. The fact I have yet channeled / TKed myself doesn’t make me skeptic. I don’t need to see anyone do anything. I see the power I have and the power every life form has and its more than enough.
I try to see beyond the physical illusion.
And above all… Im always asking questions :wink:

Edit:
and by the way, most “spiritualists” are very open minded people unlike most scientists that are usually going with their head against the wall.
No disrespect for science or anything… Im very interested in science.

WOW nice post up there Ariel, i knew about the pineal gland :smile:

This was ripped straight from wikipedia:
Dogon
The Dogon people are an ethnic group in Mali, West Africa, reported to have traditional astronomical knowledge about Sirius that would normally be considered impossible without the use of telescopes. According to Marcel Griaule’s books Conversations with Ogotemmêli and The Pale Fox they knew about the fifty-year orbital period of Sirius and its companion prior to western astronomers. They also refer to a third star accompanying Sirius A and B. Robert Temple’s 1976 book The Sirius Mystery, credits them with knowledge of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. This has been the subject of controversy and speculation. According to a 1978 Skeptical Enquirer article it is possibly the result of cultural contamination.[94] More recently, the contaminators have been suggested to be the ethnographers themselves.[95][96] Others see this explanation as being too simplistic.[97] In his book Sirius Matters Noah Brosch proposed that the astronomical cultural transfer to the Dogon took place in 1893, when a French eclipse expedition visited their region.

And how on earth did the druids build that highly unlikely formation stonehenge?

Wayy of topic uh oh!

By its very definition, synchronicity is a coincidence. But what do you mean that “our ancestors knew things that we can not even dream of”? You cannot seriously tell me that we have less knowledge today than our forefathers.

It is of course a moving quote, but that is not to say that Einstein was a proponent of magical thought. He was a strict materialist with some deist leanings who used the words God, miracle, etc. in a non literal sense.

The Pineal Gland plays an important role in the endocrine system. It is misleading to imply that it has any greater function. The origins of the belief that the Pineal Gland has metaphysical significance date all the way back to Descartes, but that was because people did not have the tools to accurately determine its properties and so ascribed religious meaning to it.

You keep claiming that we have “infinite potential” and then looking for evidence to back it up. That’s begging the question. Surely you see the logical flaw in your argument?

What are the premises that led you to this conclusion? From what I can tell this is just New Age dogma being passed off as fact.

Indeed I am familiar with Quantum Physics. Again you are begging the question. How can you say that our ancestors understood Quantum Mechanics so nonchalantly? You need evidence.

Resorting to subtle Ad Hominems? Come on. Materialism has overtaken Dualism for the simple reason that you can prove it. Anything can be justified with a non materialist viewpoint.

Ignoring the obvious condescension for a moment, I have to say that the Mayan Calendar is nothing to be afraid of. When was the last time doomsayers were correct? Oh wait…

I cannot let this statement go unchallenged. What do you mean that scientific proof does not exist? If anything, you are the closed-minded one. Claiming that the existence of proof must be proven is circular logic.

According to you, they still know more than us. >_>

We have proof for the existence of electricity. Science is constantly evolving. My problem is that you are committing the very sin you accuse scientists of with your absurd begging the question.

Our minds are powerful, but I do not believe that they are as you describe. Science is reality. The people who act like you seem to be prone to the same fallacies you are committing yourself.

I’m going to politely ask you to stop misquoting Quantum Physicists.

Tell me one instance in which this woman has performed a proven act of clairaudience and I’ll take you seriously.

Let’s be honest here. You don’t know. If one “knows” something, they can prove it. Sadly, that is not the case.

If you’re gullible enough.

Circumstantial Ad Hominem. Also, psychics are the ones interested in making money.

Apologies for the double post, I’m busy at the moment.

Gonna invade here for a moment.

The thing is…there just might be information we don’t have that our forefathers had. They may not have been recorded and lost with time. We just don’t know.
Also, I think all we are doing now, is improving the information that has been passed down. And sometimes not for the better.

But, I believe there are things within our mind we have not yet explored and understand. That will take time.

I believe life itself is a bit magical. I mean, look at how we have envolved. Apes = people? And look at how we’ve adapted. And how some people get the ideas to create something. Like electricity. And the fact that it worked? It was thought impossible at the time. And now look at us. We have managed to survie through all of these years we have exsisted. And not to mention our imaginations, which create things that…seem unbelievable. “magical” is just a way to decribe it. Not litterally meanning it.

How could you even start to think that every peice of knowledge has been passed down, and improved upon through the years. That’s just very arrogant, and so is the way you’re just shrugging off every idea but your own.

Strawmen? You’re really resorting to strawmen?

I never said that every piece of knowledge has been passed down.

You’re the one being arrogant, claiming that materialists “don’t get it” and trying to justify nonsense with a warped understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

I haven’t the time for this.