the BIG remembering dreams topic part V

I first started using a dream journal to remember my dreams in April this year. I would usually be able to remember at least one dream a night, sometimes two, and I got a couple of short lucid dreams from doing reality checks in the dream.
A few months later, I started having less dream recall. I’d only remember maybe one dream a week. Sometimes I’d remember something from a dream later in the day though. However, I once got two really good lucid dreams two weeks in a row and I hadn’t recalled any dreams other than them in those two weeks.
Anyway, quite recently I went for almost a month without remembering a dream. Then a few days ago I had a dream which I remembered more of throughout the day, so when I got home I wrote it down. The next night, I remembered a dream and wrote it in my dream journal in the morning, then later that day I remembered another dream I’d had earlier in that night. Last night, before I went to sleep, I told myself that I’d wake up at 4:00 AM (I tend to have better dream recall when I wake up early in the morning and don’t have to get up straight away) and that I’d remember what I dreamt about. I ended up waking up three times during that night (1:00 AM, 3:30 AM and 6:00 AM) and each time, I remembered a dream. I quickly wrote it down in my dream journal each time and then went back to sleep.
The first time I woke up that night, I lay there in the same position and tried to remember my dream, but couldn’t really remember it, but as I started getting up to pick up my flashlight so I could see my clock, I then remembered what the dream had been about! I think 3 dreams is the most I’ve ever remembered in one night. :smile: I guess maybe telling myself (before I fall asleep) that I’ll remember my dreams works?
Also, I think maybe I had better dream recall when I woke up straight from the dream, or woke up while I was still having the dream, because that’s what happened then.

sorry windowlicker, I thought someone would reply and then forgot about your post. :sad: It would probably be an idea to search for a meditation topic … there is one in pathways which mainly deals with using meditation as a means to LD and you should find some smaller meditation topics in beyond too. I also remember some old meditation topics which would be in the archives forum now.

because we are more aware when lucid it is usually a lot easier to remember LDs than normal dreams.

a big resounding yes to all three :happy:

I have trained myself to remember my dreams.
I found it hard at the start (not so very long ago), but now it seems to be easier.
i actually remembered 2 draeams pretty clear and with many deatails tonight (new record for me :razz:)
when i woke up today, i was laying in my bed for about 10 seconds, and then a dream just popped up in my head. when i was writing notes about the dream, I just came on one more dream :happy:

I think I did have a vivid dream last night and I recalled most of it when I woke up. But later I couldn’t remember a thing of it. I thought that I might have remembered my dream within a different dream because I don’t remember the dream IRL. It’s just confusing.

There are days I can remember 2 dreams I had that night… Then I can go a week without remembering anything at all, except a tiny hint of maybe my surroundings but not the storyline or characters… Believe me it gets frustrating, and I know what will happen if I just lie there, nothing lol. I have read most of the remembering dreams techniques and am aware of how important it is to recall dreams in order to LD. Can anyone introduce me to any new techniques that have worked for people that are utterly empty when they wake up not remembering anything… Just empty…

That tiny hint I was talking about comes to me randomly through the day, but it isn’t enough to form any kind of clue. Whenever I try to explore this clue further, it sort of disappears and messes with my head. This really gets on my nerves, it is like a tease. It worries me because I may become lucid in these dreams and not even know of my progress.

I am not angry at myself, but its more of a worry. Last time I remembered a dream was the 23rd, I remembered 2 that night. Then before that it was the 20th, again I remembered 2 that night as well. I am just a bit worried and confused about what I am doing wrong… Possibly not getting the right kind of sleep, my patterns jumble very often. No I don’t do WILD, so don’t suggest it, I dislike it. My only goal now is to remember dreams.

I appreciate any help.

so Splitter X … what dream recall techs have you tried so far? and how long did you do them for?

plus how long have you been trying to improve your recall? it takes time to build up recall ability :content:

I have been trying since the start of last summer. Different ones, such as lying there in the same spot with my eyes closed. A lot of others I cannot remember right now, however it is annoying.

ok since you know about the lying still and trying to capture the dream memories and to keep a notebook and pen near by. Also making sure you are getting enough sleep.

The other two keys to success are setting the intention to remember your dreams before you go to sleep … say
I will dream and I will remember my dream
a few times before going to sleep

Also set your alarm for a slightly different time, you may be just waking up at the wrong time. Recall is best when woken during or just after REM sleep.

I am getting enough sleep, it’s just split up sometimes over time. Like one time I will sleep for 5 hours, then going back to bed 2-4 hours later. No I cannot take advantage of this and do a WBTB… Trust me, I have work to do during this time. All I need to know are these three things…

1. Can staying up a long period of time, then getting a full nights sleep affect dream recall?

2. Splitting your sleep up like that, obviously I start a new cycle after sleeping the 5 hours then going to bed 2 hours later… So could that affect my dream recall? I wouldn’t think so on this one because I am getting a fresh amount of sleep. Meh.

3. Is there still a way to recall dreams with my schedule?

I get plenty of sleep I guess, it’s like I said, it ends up being split up… Even after I stay up a long period. School can be really bad sometimes. =/

Needless to say, lately and mostly always my sleeping patterns have been jumbled and crap. I hoped that this wouldn’t have effect on my lucid dreaming. Which is my only long term goal I have right now. At this point my only true goal is to remember my dream(s) each night. I will try the autosuggestion though, thanks Moogle. I would appreciate it if someone or you would answer my 3 remaining questions.

Edit: Also let me add something in. I had a small vivid (id say) dream 2 days ago, then last night I remembered a part or an entire event of that dream 2 days ago. At first that day I only remembered what my mom woke me up to which was some guy poking my foot with scizzors… However I remember myself vividly deleting files on my computer. The dream made sense, and I could even see some of the files specifically. It even took the amount time it takes to delete things on my PC. Detailed is one word I could use to represent that small tidbit. Isn’t it odd though to experience dream recall like an entire day later? My computer files reminded me sort of, like an “ah ha” moment. I feel so weird sometimes lol.

The only time I can be positive about what I dreamed about is when I listen to my “Hemi-Sync” DVD while falling asleep. It wakes me after a 90-minute cycle, and usually I remember my dream. I don’t think this helps dream recall, but I am wondering if it does.

Thanks much. :content:

I am really despairing, because I believe I had an LD last night. Let me tell you my story.

Through the past few nights I’ve become miserably close to WILD-ing. However, I never quite get there. But, when I go to sleep, halfway through the night, I wake up. Now some people may say this is normal, but let me just tell you, I am a DEEP sleeper. I have slept through a jackhammer in my basement (long story). I have been wondering why I’ve been waking up. But, last night, I know for a fact I accomplished a MILD. I remember waking up from a dream, and saying "Oh Sh**! That was a Dream! Then, I said, “I am sleeping again and going into that dream” With such amazing force that I felt as if I literally took a deep breath, and dove into my dream like it was a lake at night. I KNOW I accomplished it.

But I can’t remember it. And it sucks, because I’ve always had a problem with dream recall, I went for 4 years remembering maybe 5 dreams (although, since I have found this site, I’ve remembered at least fragments of 5 more (I discovered it last week)) So please, does anyone have any hints on dream recall? I’m willing to try anything.

the usual…

1. keep a dream journal
  2. tell yourself you will remember your dreams before going to sleep
  3. on awaking, don’t move right away, spend some time just gently probing your memories for any dream fragments and then try to recapture more by going up and down the timeline in your mind
  4. always write down notes about your dreams as soon as you wake up (even if it is the middle of the night) … write down anything … even if it’s just a feeling about the dream or one item, event etc

Lately I’ve been trying some LD induction techniques, but they’ve been spoiling my recall ability for some reason.

WILD and WBTB seem to make me forget whatever I was dreaming about, even if I wake up via autosuggestion rather than alarm clock. I managed to find the end of the string and unravel the memory of the dream a couple times, but usually something has to jolt that memory.

If I let myself sleep I’ll generally wake up at the end of the dream, or after the important events have ended. I don’t have much of a problem remembering the details of those dreams, provided I’m not wearing my sleep goggles (which I haven’t been for the past 2 weeks).

I’ve noticed a sharp drop in recall since I’ve started trying these techniques. The night I attempted MILD as soon as I fell asleep I experienced a split second dream (literally like a flash of a dream so fast it’s incomprehensible). Then I had another dream flash when I fell back asleep. After that I had 2 ND.

Is that how it usually goes when starting out with the techniques? Should I just keep at it? It doesn’t affect my quality of sleep, just my recall.

what are some more ‘hints’ on dream recall, besides the “usual”

i heard a few others like to “be more aware in waking life” meaning, take note on everything you see. For example when you see the color blue, in your mind say “blue”, instead of just ignoring it.

but, I don’t know if it works or not. Are there any others???

Troober, could it be slightly 'performance anxiety? I’ve notice that when dreamers start an online DJ they sometimes lose a little recall at first … it happened to me too.

If you set the intent to remember your dreams before going to sleep it should help with recall problems.

It may also be a natural dry spell that just coincided with starting to use techs.

It is really worth keeping at it. Plus if you do become lucid, LDs are usually a lot easier to recall than normal dreams

I can remember my dreams most of the time, somtimes I remember some of it but not all of it or I just dont remember anything.

I almost always remember LD’s though :content:

I never found that trying WILD affected my ability to recall dreams. If a part of your technique is affecting your recall I would guess it is the WBTB. I have experienced forgetting my dream and only remembering it when something jolts it, when I was going through a dip in recall. The recall problem was caused by me being distracted, I agree with what Moogle said about setting your intention and focusing on your recall.

The last bit you described sounds a lot like HI to me. Perhaps whatever you were doing whilst attempting MILD might help you when you try WILD next :smile:

Alright, I’ve been really interested in LD since I found this site. I actually stumbled across it when I was googling how to remember dreams cause I only remember my dreams once in a blue moon, which is exactly my problem. What am I supposed to do to remember my dreams? Just a few days ago I remembered a dream (I normally remember about 1 a month) and I became lucid from an electronic device not working dream sign, then I woke during the dream and remembered it. Is the only way to remember dreams the instant you wake up without having to think about by being woken up during the dream because since I found this site thinking about the dream and letting it come to me hasn’t worked.

Since your recall used to be poor it will take a while to build up your recall ability.
Saying “thinking about the dream and letting it come to me hasn’t worked” doesn’t mean it won’t work in the future.
Whenever you remember anything at all make a note of it … no matter how small. Keep a record of how your recall improves it will spur you on to have confidence it will continue to improve.
Finally LDs are always easier to remember than normal dreams.

My personal experience is … when I get woken up in REM, I don’t need to make the effort to remember since all the dream memory is there. Otherwise i have to tentatively search for dream memories in my mind and then ask myself what happened before? what happened afterwards? and travel up and down the dream timeline and then get the memory of the dream fixed in my mind before I move.

:welcome: welcome to the LD4all forum :smile:

Here’s my methods of remembering dreams.

At night I use to tell myself that I will remember my dreams when I wake up.
I keep a Dream Journal.

When I wake up, I use to just stay still or move just a little and try to remember my dreams. (This is very useful) One time I didn’t remember pretty much anything from my dreams, but then I got chunks of the dream which eventually widened up to the whole dream.

And relax. Stressing won’t help you nowhere.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but, I used to have the WORST dream recall ever. I could rarely ever remember any dreams without great strain and dedication. Then, I started running competitively and as a necessity had to seriously increase the amount of water I drank everyday to fight the dehydration that comes with running so much. All this extra water consumption led to an increasing number of trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I never used to wake up (that I remembered) until the morning but now I wake up two times a night (minimum) to go the bathroom and I generally have dream recall every time (except for the time I ACTUALLY wake up for good). I don’t know if this would help anyone else but it was a pretty simple way for me to go from remembering 2-3 dreams per week to 2-3 dreams per night. User beware, though, during the night is not the only time this technique increases bathroom use!