The Big WBTB Topic

Unfortunately I don’t know that much about VILD. So I can’t give you a definite answer on that. I have run into a few people that want advice about VILD but, noone seems to know enough pedro’s technique to give advice.

Hi Milod :grin:

How’s it going?

When I use WBTB combined with MILD (the past 3 weekends) I stay up for 1 hour. During that hour, I just drill LD thoughts into my head, look at my dream journal, do RCs every few minutes…then go back to sleep and intensly do MILD until it’s the last thing on my mind before falling asleep. This has worked well…the only problem is that I can’t do it during the week.

BTW - I do not think LaBerge explains why WBTB is a truly effective technique in EWLD. He presents the method as a way of getting enough quality REM sleep while waking up early to do whatever chores one needs to do to fit into the day. It seems to me from my own non-scientific observation that WBTB works for a different reason. If dreams are the mind’s way of reconfiguring events experienced in the near-past - i.e. the past day, then waking up early and intensely focusing on LDing then going back to sleep, perhaps resets the mind’s focus on past events to almost exclusively LDing. MILD has never worked for me when I don’t do intense WBTB so that’s my best theory.

Cheers…

It’s just frustrating because I don’t think it was a WILD.

Yes EWLD is lacking in some areas. Like explaining what you will experience when you WILD !!! Scared the !@#$ out of me the first time I got close because I was not prepared for what I would experience.

I believe that labarge’s theory is that you can increase your chances of LD if you manipulate your sleep pattern. For example: You go to bed at 11:00 pm then wake at 5:00 am. ( you have slept for 6 hrs so far).
Now you stay up for 1- 2 more hours Lets say 2 hrs. So you are going back to sleep at 7:00 am. I believe that Labarge’s theory is that even though you only slept for 6 hours so far, your mind is tricked somehow into believing that you are now 8 hrs into your sleep cycle and you will have a very active REM activity. (At least I think that is his theory) Keep in mind that he devised this method for MILD I believe.

I find that if I do WBTB/WILD I only stay up for a few minutes at the most. I can do WILD much more quickly that way than staying up for an hour and my sleep is not disrupted at all. If I could I would not even get out of bed. I would prefer to just allow myself to consciously drift back to sleep. Unfortunately I usually have to go to the bathroom when I wake up.

Happy Dreaming

I have a problem - I can’t get up while WBTB, I wake up only to turn off my alarm clock, sometimes I don’t even remember my waking up…
any suggestions?

I assume that you have tried to just tell yourself to wake after every rem period and that did not work for you so that is why you are using an alarm.

I use WILD with WBTB so I usually just go right back to sleep after I wake anyway. If you are doing WILD you may be able to use this to your advantage. After you turn off your alarm just lay back down and think about the dream you just had. Then just try one of the WILD inductions that you feel comfortable with. I find that when I go right back to sleep I can slip through the hypnogia much more quickly. As an added benefit my sleep is not interrupted because I was only awake for a few minutes as apposed to being up for an hour + with MILD. If you are using MILD maybe try WILD and see if that works for you.

Good luck

Hey milod789,

In the past I’ve only used WBTB/MILD and have begun experimenting with WBTB/WILD. What is your favorite WILD method when used in combination with WBTB?

ypm.

[size=75][color=red]
This is Part 1 of the BIG WBTB topic
The discussion is continued here Part 2
[/color][/size]