The BIG WILD topic - part XVII

I almost got WILD last night, I was soooo close… I almost entered a dream :eh: … actually… I think I did it after a WBTB!!

It says on the home page of LD4all that:

Two nights ago, while doing the WILD method, I had the most concrete HI I have had thus far.

I’ve noticed that when I first see HI, that is, when the imagery first comes into view, I experience a sensation akin to my eyes zooming out. First I see only the blackness of my eyelids upfront and up against my eyes; but then the HI appears, and I feel as if I am seeing it from a distance.

Anyway, I get this feeling, and what I first see is a palm tree. Then a whole beach. Then the ocean water, turquoise, shimmering, brilliant. At this point my eyelids begin to shake horribly (once again) and the HI becomes more and more faint. I try to relax my face as much as possible: and it helps. Then I tell myself that I intend to zoom in on the beach scene. Nothing happens. How exactly does one zoom? I didn’t dare move my body lest I wake myself. Any suggestions, any advice? I have been at this for weeks now (WILD), and I can’t recall having an induced lucid dream yet. Help! :grin:

I was trying to WILD the another night again (I keep forgetting about it for some reason every night). I laid down and I found myself in this really strange state within a minute or so. It was like a moderately deep hypnagogic state, but I felt like I could completely control it for the most part (things would kind of appear on their own, but I could focus in on them and look at the details and comment to myself, ie “Wow that face looks so real…strange to think my mind is just creating this from no where”). At the same time, I felt fully awake. After a little while I started drifting off though and I forgot I was just dreaming–I caught myself once, but then I fell asleep a couple seconds later.

I think I must have just been really tired. School Schedule + Long Weekend = Awkward Sleep Patterns.

Well, I have never been able to induce an LD with this “step into your dream” method. It just doesn’t work for me. I can also not zoom in on my HI. I just let the HI happen and don’t pay too much attention to it. Often I just get little pictures, faces, or animals. Sometimes I do get complet pictures that then seem to get closer, and can even become a dream. For the most part, I just seem to switch/jump from HI to a dream without noticing the change.
It all depends on you. Some people can enter their HI to start an LD. Some can’t. I can’t, maybe you can’t ether.
You just have to keep trying and find out what works for you. One important thing, take your time. Like in your quote, there is something like “knowingness” that comes with practice. If you don’t have this “knowingness”, then it is too soon, keep going without trying to jump into the dream.
don

I doubt that its a matter of can or can’t; we are all physiologically the same, no? I see as more a question of when or how. Can anyone help me with the how?

At first I thought about posting a new topic, but I hope I’ll get answers here too.

I’ve had few attempts at WILD, and usually fell aspleep. I wasn’t really determined before, probably because I was scared of what would happen. But tonight I wasn’t going to sleep alone, so I decided to really try it.

I was lying down on my back, counting as I breath and trying to relax. I wasn’t very tired. My body soon got more heavy, and breathing slightly more difficult. But I thought nothing more was going to happen, not anytime soon anyway.

When I got to 123 on my count, my mind was still very much awake, I didn’t feel tired, but things really started to change. Suddenly I didn’t feel my body, I was VERY numb. Breathing got extremely hard, I felt strong vibrations, the darkness behind my closed eyelids got brighter, and I heard loud noise. I felt like I was going to die. :eek: I stayed there for a while, but then I just had to push myself out of it. It was terrible! But at the same time very interesting… :happy: I just got up from bed and came here to write about it.

Does this sound like I was close? How can I ever get through this part, I was so scared… :bored:

How did the ones here that have had success do it? Is it so hard for everybody?

Please help me get through this :help: I really wanna make it work.

In the 1,089675545 hours I’ve been attempting WILD (;p) I’ve had improvement! Buttt I need some advice. So any input you guys give me is greatly appreciated. :smile:

So last night I decided to use the “colour visualisation” technique. I have to say this had to be the trick to it. I believe I followed MelissaDreamer’s technique so Melissa…Thankyou! :content:

It started off with me going through ROY-G-BIV. My mind started wondering. I got the usual heavy, paralysed feeling and just the beginnings of WILD. Then as my thoughts drifted off, I noticed the black getting…well…more black. Suddenly, I heard a ‘click’ and the sounds around me changed and some tinnitus popped up. Its kind of weird to describe, but my mind kind of felt “out”. Then as this continued, I started getting some weird tingle sensations along my arms and then it was amost as if any external sound was magnified. The black started to get white-it was as if my vision was being slowly filled with light. Then I started to get scared. I ignored the fear and went back to concentrating on what I had to do. Suddenly, some HI popped up and it totally startled me :cool_laugh: It was this really really weird cartoon thing. Haha it really scared me!
:cry:

By this time I was getting frustrated. I didnt know how to exactly get to the next level. I guess this is the hardest bit of WILD. Having school the next day also means I have to eventually sleep at some time :tongue:

Anyway, some input on how I could possibly get to the next level would be great!

:help:

I’m afraid we aren’t exactly the same. Some people have often SOREM sleep and they can easily WILD, some haven’t. About HI, some people can zoom in into them and some people have to wait that they are passively zoomed into it. You can perhaps try to induce a movement, like imagining you’re walking into the hypnagogic landscape and imagining the pressure of your feet on the ground.

Mikk, it seems you had very good results quickly and you’re gifted with WILD. Perhaps you’ll not have the same sensations next time. Anyway, you have to get accustomed to them if you want to progress. It’s not necessary so hard for everybody. The two times I managed to WILD, it was by chaining dreams. I didn’t experienced such things, I just saw an image and felt immediatly that I could jump into it. Now it’s possible that your way of having WILD’s is through somesthetic hallucinations, I don’t know.

MissEvil, the next step is not to be scared by this. :wink: You should try dream chaining or WILD+WBTB so you are likely to have a first WILD experience and know better how to manage it.

Thanks Basilus West! :content: So do you think I should concentrate on the sensations, or try to put them aside? I’m not sure where I should go from there, maybe images start to appear and I can get to a dream through those?

The time I had this little success, I was visualizing colors as I counted. Something I read about in one of the other threads here. I also did not move at all, I pretended to be completely paralyzed.

I tried it again the night after this one. Did the counting and visualizing colors. I did feel heavy at one time, was seeing mental images and I thought my heart was racing like crazy. But there were sounds (actual sounds) that kept distracting me, and then I realised my heartbeat was completely normal. The sounds kept me from going any further. I was feeling good and managed to stay relaxed though and didn’t experience anything as extreme as the first time, but I was lying on my side this time. I was counting all the time, went up to 450 and then decided to start sleeping normally. Oh and when I was at somewhere like 280, my thoughts wandered and the next thing I know, I’m counting at 390… :uh: Maybe I fell asleep.

Anyway, I’ll try again maybe tonight. :smile:

When you feel strong somesthetic sensations, like your body floating or very strong vibrations, it means your already in a dream. You can then try to increase dream body movements, to spin around your axis or roll out of your bed to enter a WILD.

Most often, people who have somesthetic HH don’t have visual HH, that why they use these techniques.

Do you mean that your heart racing was an hallucination? It’s interesting cause heart racing is rather common and some people are afraid of this.

Thanks, I will remember to try that the next time I have success! :smile: I’ve practiced doing things with my imaginary body while my real body is very relaxed, not sure if that could be of any help? It’s a technique I thought of myself, I’m not sure if it’s discussed here before. I basically just move around touching and feeling things with my imaginary body.

I’ve had visual HH too, like things jumping out in front of me when I’m going to sleep. One morning when I was still very tired but awake and closed my eyes, I could clearly see the inside of some warehouse, a man working there, and sort of zoom in things. It was really cool but I couldn’t enter it, and I had to get up and go to work anyway. :neutral:

Anyway, the time I has some success WILD’ing, the only thing I actually saw was the darkness getting brighter.

I’m not sure it was a hallucination, it may have actually happened, or possibly it just felt like it was really fast and strong. When the sounds distracted me, I became more aware of the rest of my body, and didn’t feel the heart pumping so much, or maybe it just actually slowed down. Does this make any sense?

Oh btw, I am actually a little afraid of feeling my heartbeat at all. I sometimes have cardiac arrhythmia and when I can feel my heart beating I always think about it and hope to not get any extra beats :anx:

I envy the people who can WILD on demand, because oh my sweet dear mother this tech. is hard to grasp!

I have been trying each night for a month consistantly and cant get past the Alpha state, I’ve done the sound files, ROYGBV, counting, drawing “on my eyes”, but nothing! I just get bored and fall asleep.

That sensation of a fast heartbeat is often because (according to other meditative practices) that your chakras are active and on high power. That is not your real heart, but your chakra circulatory system you feel. You may as well have been able to astral project at that time too.

Mikk’s following question about feeling a sort of second heartbeat has been splitted from the BIG WILD topic and made its own thread there.

Thanks! :content: And yeah, I’m going to start WBTB…its just I’ve been so busy and…a little lazy. :peek:

Regarding the heartbeat, my heart will beat very fast and then suddenly it’ll just return to normal and I’ll realise that…Hey…it was kind of all my imagination. Its really hard to explain. :neutral:

Two days ago I had my first successful WILD+WBTB.

I went to bed at 11:30pm, woke up again at 6:30am and stayed awake for about 40 minutes. During this time I was active and moving around the house. I made sure to see a lot of sunlight (opened up all the doors and windows) as I read that sunlight stimulates the pineal gland and what better way to wake yourself up than to have bright light everywhere.

I went to bed with the intention to realise I was dreaming. I am 100% confident that the last thought I had before my mind went into ‘standby mode’ was to “recognise the nature of the dreamstate”. Suddenly I was conscious, but I felt disembodied in a large black void. Slowly, the darkness began to turn into streaks of white light. It got faster and faster, almost like the star trek style warp graphic. Once my entire vision was white, it got brighter still for an instant then faded into a dream scene of a bedroom.

The experience was exhilirating. I was conscious the entire time. I conjured up my grandfather who died 5 years ago. He died of a heart attack and I never got to say goodbye. For some unfortunate reason, his image wasnt the same as he looked in real life. But rather than be repelled I accepted that I knew who he was meant to be.

As soon as I entered the dream, the area immediately around me seemed ‘blocky’ and out of focus, like a really pixelated video on a computer. After shouting ‘Increase lucidity by 1000’ three or four times everything got clearer. This happen to anyone else?

And I seem to recall a short clip i downloaded from somewhere once. I think it was a .swf of someones impression of the ‘WILD-transition experience’. I wish I could find it again because as soon as I woke up it was the first thing i remebered because it looked EXACTLY like what I had seen.

eep, sorry for writing this book.

Congrats on your WILD, Alextanium! :smile:

I don’t think it’s particular to WILD. It may happen in a DILD too. It’s rather common to have pixelated backgrounds or DC’s. On the Lucid Crossroads website for instance, they advice in such cases to shout “Increase clarity!” (instead of “Increase lucidity”).

I’ve tried WILD a few times in the past, and I’ve been trying it more frequently recently, but it hasn’t earned me an LD yet. Can someone tell me how close I’m getting? My experience went like this…

At first, I didn’t focus on anything in particular except staying concious. After a while, I began to see patterns of light/dark, so I started to watch those. My body became more relaxed, and partially numb. During this time, I eventually realized that I had started “blinking” subconciously, even though my eyes were closed. It started to feel as if my eyes were opening involuntarily, and I had to fight to keep them closed…

When I did this with WBTB, this continued for a while, and then suddenly, I could see part of my room! I only got this far twice. I thought I had opened my eyes, but then I opened them for real and found that I was laying in the wrong position to see that part of my room. :ack: Do you think this was the start of a dream? Or just HI?

Both of those occurances happened a while ago, but more recently I tried to use WILD with a nap, and had a slightly different experience. The light patterns I was seeing eventually disappeared, then later came back, and this repeated a few times. After a while, I saw some images that seemed like the HI I had always expected, but never before experienced: dream-like images that only lasted a second, then were gone. Then, I actually did partway open my eyes involuntarily. It still felt like my eyes were closed, though… the thought crossed my mind that perhaps I was now dreaming of opening my eyes, but the thing is, I could still hear real noises loud and clear. I hated to get this far and then risk throwing it all away by moving. I kept at it a little longer, but soon had to get up.

Sorry this is so long, but how close do you think I got? Did I actually make it all the way and not realize it? Next time, I guess I should go ahead and take the chance of waking myself up if I think I might have reached the dream state. After all, I wasn’t any better off the times I didn’t try. :bored:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I really don’t want to look through 7 or so topics of posts for it.

It helps to do WILD after WBTB. I also am someone who needs their sleep. I also don’t exactly have the longest attention span. Could WILD be done without WBTB without making you lose sleep and not be keeping your mind awake for 2 (or so)hours?

I tried WILD again today with both WBTB and a nap, and my experience was the same as last time: my eyes eventually began to open involuntarily. This time, I didn’t stop it and did an RC, but sure enough, it wasn’t a dream. I guess that answers my question on how close I got when napping. :bored: In all of these recent attempts, I was laying on my back, whereas I was laying on my side (well, more like halfway on my side and halfway on my stomach) in the earlier attempts. I wonder if that’s what makes the difference? I guess I should try WILD on my side again when I get the chance. :smile:

I find any form of WILD while lying on my back to be uncomfortable. It’s harder to swallow saliva that builds up in your mouth and your covers can constrict on your chest, making it harder to breath (and therefore to relax).

I also find that the “I have to move” feeling and “involuntary eyelid opening” is much harder to resist when lying on my back. I assume this is because its not the most natural of sleeping positions. I have my best success in comfortable lying on my side positions in which no part of my body touches any other part of my body (sandwiching pillows and parts of your blanket between your arms legs and torso). I find the lack of sensation of skin-on-skin helps me to forget about my body.

I attempted WILD+WBTB this morning again. I got the same disembodied feeling of flying down a tunnel of light, but this time i couldnt quite get there. I could see a grassy lawn on the other side then it disappeared. Then I had a FA and stupidly forgot to do an RC upon “waking”. This FA played out for a good 10-15 minutes before I awoke to the sound of construction crews outside :sad:

The BIG WILD topic continues here.