The NovaDreamer has been discontinued

Hi folks.

I visited site www.lucidity.com a I saw text:
"The NovaDreamer has been discontinued. Some companies may still have a few units in stock. We have no control over dealer pricing.
Click here to search the internet for NovaDreamer stock.
"
It’s incredible!!!

Altar

Maybe this will discourage people who feel LaBerge has been selling “snake oil” and suchlike. For example, the Skeptic’s Dictionary mentions the possibility.

Also hoping this will not slow down any research projects they have open.

I can’t say I’m surprised. While I don’t believe the NovaDreamer was snake oil, there wasn’t exactly a huge number of people on this site singing its praises.

I don’t think there was that many people on this site that even had one. I think Labarge shot himself in the foot on the pricing of the novadreamer. Most likely the development of generic devices that are cheaper has a lot to do with it. There is the rem dreamer and all sorts of meditation goggles that can give the same effect.

ok, I’m suspicious.

The novadreamer was getting a bad reputation, and it was one product that made the Lucidity Institute seem “commercial” … or as r3m0t put it "snakeoil"ish.

from lucidity.com/LastOfNovaStock.html

Now it seems The Lucidity Institute has detached themselves from the high price of this device, but I’m suspicious that the Institute is still using this to generate proceeds. … not that it is a bad thing for lucidity.

The “companies with remaining stock of NovaDreamers” for the USA is,
americanbilling.com/luciddream_c … eamer.html

Prices are

• NovaDreamer $699; Overnight $39 (1-6 business days)

• NovaDreamer $699; 2-day $29 (2-7 business days)

• Cloth mask replacement (includes foam) $46.95

• 4 foam replacements (for cloth mask) $29.95

:eek: $30!!! dollars for foam!! I can purchase a whole foam mattress for my bed for less!! I could cut that up and use it for a lifetime supply!! :happy:

Cloth mask for $50 bux!!! how much are knitting books and yarn these days. :tongue:

before, I thought the high price was for generating revenue for the Institute. Much like charity :content:

but now it seems the only excuse for high prices is “demand” and “supply” :bored:
I think the “high tech selling point” for the novadreamer is “it detects REM” … so it MUST be expensive because of it’s “sophisticated processor.”

The price was originally high and the demand is still there :bored:
, but while the supply is now gone. :sad:

but this apparent “company with remaining stock” I think still generates revenue for the Institute, that is my suspicions! haha

Who would announce a product as discontinued and pass the last of the remaining stock on earth to some average buisness to make the money! yeah right! :tongue: maybe they are telling the truth about not setting the price, and letting their dream characters decide! :lol:

Ha! In 2030 I will sell my Novadreamer to some crazy Japanese, who will pay billions to get this antique gadget :sly:

That is a good point. Originally I just thought that the institute was going to switch their attention to these lucid dreaming workshops as a means of generating income. I also thought perhaps there might be a new version of the nova dreamer coming out. I mean why would anyone give up on a successful (as far as sales go anyway) product. Even at their absurd price they were always out of stock. I am suspicious now as well. :sly:

my friend bought it in 1998 and lent it to me with all documentation, including invoice - the price of the gadged was 50$ but you also had to pay for the manual, the book (but just “A Course in Lucid Dreaming”) and the obligatory membership (90$) + shipping, shipping insurance and packaging (92$) - no CD were included but the price looked quite reasonable.

Looks like the novadreamer is gone. Thelucidity institutedoes not even have a link to the distributer anymore. In appears that lucidity institute has stopped selling all their products. Even the course in lucid dreaming is gone.

They’re still selling courses.

I did not see that. They are still doing their workshops but, that is about it.

if i were to buy something for lucid dreams it would be a bio/neurofeedback device.

i’m speculating upon getting one after christmas, actually.

what does such a deveice do, and why is that interesting?

Are you going to use it for meditation or what? Sounds interesting. I used to practice biofeedback in the 70s.

I’m glad I got mine when they were only two hundred dollars.

I decided to try using mine again. The main problem I’m having is finding the right settings for sensitivity to my REM and brightness in the lights.

There’s also the “dream incorporation” problem. Rather than realizing I was dreaming, I explained to another person in my dream what the device was and how it worked. “Cool,” she said.

so does anyone know why the nova dreamer was discon? run out of money, bad reps, decided it wasnt cost effiect to build the damn thing anymore?

i mean what hast that place been up to recently its been sitting there dormant for ages, i think its time for an email. the ammount of money that they would have made on the books alone should have been enough to continue their reseach. they have gone slack or what?

I know they had problems with production ( keeping up with the demand). The nova dreamer was constantly out of stock. It also appears that once the lucidity inst had produced a batch of nova dreamers, some people would buy a bunch of them then wait for them to go out of stock again. Then, the people would put the nova dreamers they purchased on ebay to sell for a lot more then they paid for them. But no, there were no problems with the device it’s self, nor did it have a bad reputation or anything like that.

The main reason they stopped production (I believe) is that they are currently developing a new improved nova dreamer. I just hope that they work out their production and distribution problems as well as lower the price.

It also seems they are putting more time into developing workshops.

mmm one can only hope thanks for the response
:smile:

Personally I don’t care…never tried it, and from what I’ve heard from a few people, it doesn’t work all to well…maybe it’s just an individual thing?

it would take work like anything else. a lot to get used to it it isnt like you put it on and it works everynight. i think i will stick with RC and will at least they are free and i know what results i am going to get.

mostly i am just pissed at the lucidity inst. all that money for this thing and what have they done with it? mmmm