The Results of an Informal Dream Telepathy Experiment

For the past twelve weeks, three friends and I have been conducting an informal dream telepathy experiment.

We structured the experiment as such: Three of us acted as dreamers. One acted as an arbiter. Each Friday, one person would be sender (we simply rotated) and the other two would be receivers. The sender would try to telepathically send a word/image to the receivers. In the morning, the dreamers would email their dreams to the arbiter. The sender, of course, would send the target word/image, and any dreams he/she had including the target or the other two dreamers.

With the arbiter we agreed that a direct hit (on the part of the receivers) would only be deemed to have happened if the target word itself appeared in the receivers’ reports. We were concerned with contexual directness too, but didn’t know exactly how to gauge it. By “contextual directness” I mean, for example, if the target word/image were “horse,” a contextually direct hit would be the dreamer, say, specifically noticing a field with horses or riding a horse. A contextually indirect hit would be something like “I drove through the country. There were cows and horses and sheep around.” So, context, for our purposes, had to do with how much the object captured the dreamer’s attention.

We further agreed that an indirect hit would occur if the image appeared in the receiver’s report, but not the exact word itself. We decided at the beginning of the experiment that the target words would be limited to concrete nouns. Senders were forbidden from telling receivers what the word was until the arbiter sent his email out with results.

We aimed only for dream telepathy, not for lucid dream telepathy, but some lucid dreams were reported on experiment days.

I’m waiting now on the results of week 12, but here’s a summary of what happened in weeks 1 through 11. Bear in mind, this was an informal experiment among friends with a lot happening in their lives. On one week, the sender forgot to send anything. And more than once, the receivers had no dream reports. That said, however…

We had one direct hit, at least, by our aforementioned standards.

On week 8 of the experiment, when I was sender, I sent the word “snow.” Myself, I remembered no dreams of the receivers, but the receiver had this dream:

She was lucid in this dream, and focused on finding me. When she found “me,” she asked me what the target word/image was. “I” refused to tell her, saying:

Also, in her lucid dream, when she found “me,” “I” was:

On that same night, I reported this short dream:

Furthermore, on this same week 8, J., the other receiver reported this dream:

…while I also reported this dream for week 8:

So, all on this same night, I sent the word/image of “snow” and H. had a dream that specifically featured snow; H. dreamt of me digging in soil, while I dreamt of gardening; and, J. and I both dreamt of pools with furry creatures surrounded by housing.

On the night that J. was sender (week 6), but forgot to send something, I was actually lucid, and had this dream:

When I asked to see J’s target image, the dream seemed to fall into complete chaos. I’ve never had a lucid dream experience like that and my report doesn’t do it justice. Everything above seemed to happen in a matter of mere seconds. I was hardly able to stay lucid, as I was bombarded by a rush of images and changes of location. I went from seeing an indistinct image on a “screen” to being inside the imagery, which blurred and shifted around me wildly.

Needless to say, I had no clear idea what J’s image was supposed to be—at that time not knowing that he hadn’t actually tried to send anything.

One of our more fascinating connections, though, happened in week 1. It wasn’t a direct hit, or related to the target, but it was fascinating to us nonetheless.

J. hardly remembered any dreams, but reported this:

…while H., the sender on that week (with a target of “dragonfly”), also had a dream of a woman with a mohawk. We discovered this after the arbiter sent out dream reports. H. didn’t include the report of the mohawk woman because she didn’t think it was relevant. After that we began sharing more.

On week 4, H’s target word/image was “tree.” The word “tree” didn’t appear in anyone’s dream reports, but I had—and reported to the arbiter—this hypnopompic experience:

We called this a borderline indirect hit, since I reported specifically noticing trees (juniper trees), but didn’t write “tree.”

On week 7, the target word/image was “fruit,” and I had this brief dream:

I mention this experience because, writing the dream down, I was certain that the target was related to my dream of berries. I don’t particularly like berries. I eat blueberries, but rarely eat raspberries or blackberries because I find them too acidic. The dream was out of character for me.

On a non-experiment day, both H. and I had lucid dreams of each other, but didn’t report them to the arbiter since it wasn’t an experiment day. We both had dreams of being abused. She was being abused by a woman from her past. I was being abused by a strange man. She became lucid and called out for me. I appeared behind her and grabbed her hand. She woke up. I became lucid, ran away from the abusive man, and called out for her. She appeared and we had a little adventure.

Twice, becoming lucid, I tried to change dreams to find H. and J. Both times, I ended up in very dark dream areas. In the case of seeking out H., the dream got brighter the longer I was there (I didn’t affect it by imagining light—the scene simply became clearer as time passed). In the case of seeking out J., I had to leave for another dream area to improve the lighting. I was unable to talk to H., though I found her. Another DC prevented me from talking to her by attacking me. I never found J.

Also during this experiment period, I slept a night in my girlfriend’s grandmother’s sick room. Her grandmother was near-coma at this point and non-verbal. During the night, I had a dream in which I thought I heard A. (the grandmother) talking. I got out of bed (there were two in the room—it was a nursing home) and walked over to A. A. greeted me and thought that I was somebody from Texas. In the dream, I thought that she was confused because of her dementia. (It’s rather severe.) I woke up. Later, at breakfast, I told this dream to my girlfriend and her sister and they told me that A’s fourth husband had been from Texas. To the best of my knowledge, I didn’t know this beforehand. In fact, as long as I’ve been with this partner, her grandmother has been disabled and hardly able to speak. I’ve never had a coherent conversation with her. I knew that she was married more than once, but all the husbands are dead and I’d never met them. A. died a few days later.

So, long story short, I’m motivated to keep investigating the possibility of dream telepathy. I didn’t share all of the connections we experienced by comparing our dream reports, but shared many of the striking similarities—and hits.

Please keep sharing if you could. I find this very interesting :content: .

yes, please report us some more time to time. This is very interesting and a great experiment.

All very interesting stuff! Whenever I finally try seriously lucid dreaming again, I might give something like this a shot. I’m guessing that lucidity will improve the chances of receiving the word/image.

I don’t know if that’s true. More than once during the study, I went lucid and tried to find my friends, but couldn’t find them. Once, as described above, I tried to get the target without interacting with any dream character, but I only got chaos (and my friend had forgotten to send anything that night—as it turned out).

I had two indirect hits. With one I was lucid (experiencing hypnogogic visuals). The other time I was non-lucid.

Yet, one thing is certain: if you’re lucid you’ll be more likely to remember whatever imagery you come into contact with—even if, when you come across the target image, you don’t know it’s the target.

This is very interesting. Keep us posted.

I probably have phrased that differently :razz:. I meant that both a receiver and the sender being lucid (with a high level of control and good memory of the outer world) would probably increase the chances, since the receiver would remember to look for the sign and the sender would remember to send it.

You’re right though; one person being lucid didn’t seem to help in finding it, so maybe it doesn’t have any effect (besides on memory, like you said).

I’ve tried something similar to this with a friend; one or both of us would get lucid each night, find the other in the dream, and tell them a ‘password’. We only got one sort-of success; my password was ‘axiom’, and my friend said a mysterious, dark DC had told him ‘The word is Albion’, and then disappeared :eh:

That’s a curious miss, and it makes me wonder—if there was actual mind-to-mind communication—why there was a mistake in the transmission.

Let’s think it through:

(1) Both “axiom” and “albion” begin with A.
(2) Both words have three syllables.
(3) The words sound similar—they are slant rhymes.

What are the chances that the password your friend received in his dream resembled your password so closely? If your choice of passwords was open-ended, and could have been anything, I’d say the chances of this coincidence were quite small. If you were limiting your choices to, say, three of four syllable words, that’s still an enormous number of words.

But why the “signal degradation”? Who knows! It could have been on your end or on his end. Degradation like this could be simply a consequence of working through the subconscious mind to communicate.

Update:
Week 12, in my experiment, yielded no hits—direct or indirect. So, with 12 experiment days, we had 1 direct hit and 2 indirect hits.

On the last week, the word was “clock.” Neither of the receivers dreamed of clocks. I did have a dream in which time figured importantly. I titled the dream “Four Hours of Awareness,” and it was about a film (which I watched in my dream) which was shot in real time (four hours long) and was about lucid living. But our adjudicator didn’t see an indirect hit in this. Neither did I. But these thematic similarities are intriguing nonetheless.

We most often noticed themes in the dreams of the sender. It turns out trying to telepathically send a message to someone is a pretty good way of incubating dreams for yourselves on a specific topic or theme. This happened a lot with my friend H. For me, it happened the night I sent “Emperor.” I had an odd dream of getting a phone call from President Obama.

Your experiment seems very interesting. I do have good friends but none is interested in LD’ing enough to conduct experiments.

But, what is your personal believe on the topic? Do you believe that is possible or not?

I am levelheaded enough to see that confirmation bias can trick you into seeing telepathy where there is none, which was why I asked a friend to adjudicate our results, and why we designated a direct hit as only an instance in which the very same word that the sender sent appeared in a receiver’s report in a conspicuous context.

I know enough of logic to see that the facts of our little informal experiment are not sufficient to prove telepathy. This is OK with me. Aside from my interest in the possibility of dream telepathy (or shared dreaming), I like telling dreams to friends. Throughout the experiment, we helped each other interpret dreams and we all had motivation to become lucid. The lucid dreams I had during the experiment period were some of the most interesting lucid dreams I’ve ever had.

A part of conducting an experiment (not that I fancy myself a scientist) is doing research, and reviewing what has been done before. This description of a dream telepathy experiment in 2011 definitely inspired me. Take a look:

ourdreamingmind.net/2011PsiResults.html

If you didn’t already know, Van de Castle also participated in formal dream telepathy experiments (summarized in the book Dream Telepathy), which did have some success. (And their experimental design was much more rigorous than my own.) Even if you’re skeptical, I recommend checking the book out. I don’t think that it has definitive proof of dream telepathy, but it does make one wonder.

To answer your question directly: from doing research on the subject, and from experimenting myself, and from past experiences, I believe dream telepathy is possible. I also think that it isn’t straightforward. Receiving an image telepathically doesn’t mean that you know you’ve received one. I don’t claim to be a psychic. All I can do is experiment and try to report honestly.

The next project in my dream group doesn’t involve telepathy at all. Now that we’ve at least had several dreams of each other, we’ve decided to incubate dreams for each other. That is, we’re agreeing to try to have dreams that may offer some wisdom to the other person. There’s nothing inherently “psychic” about this. But we’re as excited about doing it as the last experiment.

My friend H. and I were rather successful at having several dreams of each other, if nothing else. Some of them lucid, some not. Some in which the other seemed lucid, and some not. We fully intend to keep trying to dream together.

Cool. I asked this because I wanted to know how you feel about it. Why you entered into experimenting, if it was just because of purely scientific reason or because of the personal believe or maybe both. I hope my question didn’t feel cynical.

I for myself do believe in SD’ing or dream telepathy. And I do agree with you that the received information varies a lot.

Good luck with your experiment! :content:

Thanks.

I’ll report any more results here.

Update:

My friend H. and I have kept on trying to find each other in dreams. Last night, we both dreamt of each other while lucid.

In my dream, I became lucid while I was running away from something. I was running in slow motion, as in many nightmares, when I noticed that the world was moving by too slowly. I knew it had to be dream. Lucid, I decided to call H. This time she showed up almost instantaneously. She looked different than in RL–her hair was shorter and lighter. I told her this, and she said that I looked different as well. There wasn’t a mirror nearby, so I didn’t check this out. She seemed more or less lucid.

We flew over a city and landed in an open greensward. Once we landed, a group of people gathered nearby. I didn’t like being watched by them. I tried to show H. a flying trick and shot way, way up in the air. When I flew back down, the whole dream area was covered in blackness. Afraid I would lose the feeling of the dream, I called out to H. She found me in the dark and walked away from the place. Suddenly, though, we were in a building like an apartment building. I had the feeling that the people, or DCs, who had gathered around us, were causing the darkness. I said this to H. As we moved away, the dream became lighter and crisply distinct again. I woke up as we moved through a hallway and toward a door leading to the street.

I let H. know that I had this dream and she texted me back with a description of a dream with me, in which she was semi-lucid.

In her H’s dream, she was at a party. The people, she wrote, were getting violent and she became seriously and irrationally afraid. Semi-lucid, she called for me. She said that I showed up and led her away from the people. I took her outside onto the street and got into a car with her and drove away. That’s all she could remember.

So, once again, we have both have had dreams in which we’ve called each other on the same night, and in which we’re lucid. The first time, we were both having nightmares. This time, she was having a dream with mounting fear, and I became lucid in the middle of nightmare-style slow motion running. I can’t recall anything before lucidity.

In both dreams, I took her away from unpleasant people, and we headed to a street.

Update:

My friend H. and I have continued to look for each other. In January, I had a series of LDs in the same night, five in a row, wherein I scoured my dreams but never found her. I tried a variety of techniques: calling for her aloud, calling for her mentally, changing dreams, searching, expecting to see her behind a door or behind me, and once I even saw my vision screen in the in-between state and asked it to show her to me. Nothing worked. Only three or four times in my life have I been lucid for so long. Throughout most of those dreams I have a very high degree of lucidity, and had good dream control. Yet I couldn’t contact H. in these dreams.

Last night, I went lucid and called for her. Instead of appearing, as usual, she showed up in a crowd of people I had already looked over. This is what I wrote in my journal:

My friend H. didn’t dream of me, or have any lucidity that she recalled. However, this description appeared in one of her dreams (which she noted in detail, because it was odd for her):

I dreamt of her as thinner, in blue jeans, with curled hair and she dreamt of herself as thinner, in blue jeans, with curled hair.

In my LD, I told her we could do whatever she wanted, and she said she’d like to return to the dream she’d been having. I tried to accompany her, but woke up.